2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: No more wolverines, Gov. Mead tells feds< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2014, 6:27 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FYI---

http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news....d5.html

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2014, 8:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What's his problem? It's not like these guys rampage through livestock herds or destroy the environment (like livestock herds) or or attack humans or even have anything to do with humans. Even with a reintroduction, most people will never see one.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 3
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2014, 9:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The imperial governor. How dare other states preserve endangered wildlife.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 4
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2014, 10:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That jerk obviously never watched Red Dawn.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 5
JasonG75 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2014, 11:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hungry Jack @ Jun. 12 2014, 10:14 am)
That jerk obviously never watched Red Dawn.

+1 nice !!!

--------------
S6-558-14 Beaver Patrol
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2014, 11:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Poor Jennifer Grey.

Sniff.
 Post Number: 7
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2014, 1:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Jun. 12 2014, 8:42 am)
What's his problem? It's not like these guys rampage through livestock herds or destroy the environment (like livestock herds) or or attack humans or even have anything to do with humans. Even with a reintroduction, most people will never see one.

But it could hinder development in prime habitat. You know... those multi-million $ mansions in the mountains... i.e. -  the friends of the governor.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 8
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2014, 1:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Jun. 12 2014, 11:02 am)

(Montanalonewolf @ Jun. 12 2014, 8:42 am)

But it could hinder development in prime habitat. You know... those multi-million $ mansions in the mountains... i.e. -  the friends of the governor.

And it might hinder snowmobiler joy rides into the mountains above those developments.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9
mocamper1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2014, 4:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Favorite Scene

--------------
"It's time to be immortal 'cause heroes never die!"
 Post Number: 10
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2014, 4:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is he afraid of Hugh Jackman?
 Post Number: 11
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2014, 5:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Come on guys. Lighten up.  This is, after all, Wyoming.  Do you really expect environmental decisions to be based on scientific facts and rational?  My apologies to DC, Travis and my other friends in the "Cowboy state".

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 12
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2014, 6:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Jun. 12 2014, 3:42 pm)
Come on guys. Lighten up.  This is, after all, Wyoming.  Do you really expect environmental decisions to be based on scientific facts and rational?  My apologies to DC, Travis and my other friends in the "Cowboy state".

No apologies needed here. It can be rather frustrating to live in a state with such beautiful scenery and such backward leaders. ("Backward" was the nicest word I could think of without involving the human excretory anatomy.)

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 13
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 13 2014, 11:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Jun. 12 2014, 4:54 pm)

No apologies needed here. It can be rather frustrating to live in a state with such beautiful scenery and such backward leaders.

+1 and I have to keep reminding myself that these guys are the moderates.

eh, could be worse, we could be Utah or Idaho.
 Post Number: 14
blue_sage Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2014, 11:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wycanislatrans @ Jun. 13 2014, 11:30 pm)

No apologies needed here. It can be rather frustrating to live in a state with such beautiful scenery and such backward leaders.

This is a good time to study the guy as I think he is a serious VPOUS or Secretary of Interior fodder after 2016. The man has serious traction with ALEC and the Koch folks. One of Governor Meads next targets is the elimination of the 41 Wilderness Study Areas, 3 % of the BLM surface acres in Wyoming.
And very sadly Wycanistlatrans is right....you should see the foil hat darlings that are challenging him in the primary.

--------------
"Speak out, though your voice may shake"
 Post Number: 15
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2014, 3:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Too unattractive for VP, Blue Sage!  He does have a noggin similar to James Watt, President Reagan's Sec of the Interior.  Plus, his conservation ethics are quite close to Watt's, too.  If the Republicans win, the guy is a shoe-in.  If so, let's hope his time in office is as short as Watt's was...

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
 Post Number: 16
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2014, 8:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(blue_sage @ Jun. 14 2014, 11:41 pm)

(wycanislatrans @ Jun. 13 2014, 11:30 pm)

This is a good time to study the guy as I think he is a serious VPOUS or Secretary of Interior fodder after 2016. The man has serious traction with ALEC and the Koch folks. One of Governor Meads next targets is the elimination of the 41 Wilderness Study Areas, 3 % of the BLM surface acres in Wyoming.
And very sadly Wycanistlatrans is right....you should see the foil hat darlings that are challenging him in the primary.

All very important points but snowmobiling and other recreation takes a deep backseat to resource extraction when it comes to his concerns. The governor is fighting to keep Wyoming's Coal and other resource extraction industries thriving. He goes out of his way to try and cast doubt on not just AGW but climate change as well. He has also contested recent educational guidelines that support climate change and AGW that have been embraced by most educators in the state.

I've been incredibly lucky; I have not seen wolverines in the Tetons, but have seen 3 in Greater Yellowstone. Whether that's because of greater numbers or concentration because of habitat loss I of course do not know. I'm curious about the paranoia of "experimental designation" because that designation was embraced for wolves by the resource extraction industry and the three States [WY, ID, MT.] Governors and Congressional Delegations because a "resident" population would trigger far more restrictive elements of the ESA. Do you guys know if wolverines wandering in from an introduced population in Colorado would somehow trigger greater restrictions in Wyoming?

Meade's Grandfather Cliff Hansen, one time Wyoming Governor and US Senator, was a vehement opponent of the creation of Grand Teton National Park but later upon reflection acknowledged a change of heart. His mother certainly had a greater appreciation for wilderness and environment. He was elected as a somewhat more center moderate but has proven to be an all to cozy campaigner of resource extraction industries. Wyoming relies so heavily on energy revenues few can envision a successful tourist industry like we have in Teton County meeting the perceived needs of the entire State. His promotion for National office will in my opinion ultimately backfire for the special interests he now serves with far too great an alacrity.

The last Governors race was between two people from Teton County. The Governor has certainly alienated some of the backers he enjoyed then. Sadly I think we could see the rise of wackos here like those in Utah vocally wanting dominion over Federal Lands. Hopefully the Tea Party will marginalize the ultra conservatives as they are in other States.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
15 replies since Jun. 12 2014, 6:27 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply No more wolverines, Gov. Mead tells feds
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions