2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: How Often are You Getting Out...?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 1:03 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Greetings, BPers...!

How often are you getting out in 2014?  Are you getting out enough or is work or life things hampering your trail time?  I am enjoying 2014 greatly and find myself being able to day hike 11 out of 14 days.  I would love to be a able to get out even more; however, I have to work a long three-day weekend every other week and need to get some sleep as I work overnights 7-7.  Heck, if I worked straight days I could get out every day.

One activity I need to make some time for is kayaking.  I use to kayak weekly, but have not been out in years.  Plus, with the great rivers we have here in the PNW, I'm really missing out on some great kayaking.

Ever since my shoulder injury, I find wearing a loaded pack bothersome, and I have not been BPing.  I hope to get in a trip or two before the rainy season starts up in the fall.  Hopefully, I will be able to get in a couple of overnighters.

Hope everyone is getting out...!

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 1:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I only get out on Saturdays  :(  I do have a low mileage 2-night trip planned in late July/early August, and will be at Pickle Gulch this year as well. No big trips planned for me this summer due to some health issues, a bad back, and an upcoming surgery next week.

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 3
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 1:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Overnights probably about 10 a year.

Day hikes. Only a few when I have visitors in town and I want to take them to see the real desert.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 4
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 1:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Take care, WW.  I wish you a speedy recovery from your surgery!

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
 Post Number: 5
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 1:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not enough!  I moved downtown (Chicago) in March and knew that I'd have less outdoor time, but I really need to step it up.   I am storing my kayak at a friend's house in the suburbs and haven't found an accessible storage option in the city yet.  The last two weekends I've had one day free that I wanted to go hiking, but there was major construction on the main highway and I wasn't willing to sit in traffic 3 hours just for a dayhike.  So....yeah....not enough!  I hope to get out more in July and August, though.

But I am enjoying long walks in the city every day :)

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 6
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 1:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rangersven @ Jun. 24 2014, 1:03 pm)
One activity I need to make some time for is kayaking.  I use to kayak weekly, but have not been out in years.  Plus, with the great rivers we have here in the PNW, I'm really missing out on some great kayaking.

Funny you should mention kayaking, because this spring/summer my backpacking has really taken a backseat to my paddling adventures. I've done a handful of hikes this spring and will be going out this weekend, but my focus has been spending time on the water.

I took this picture yesterday evening. I still get my mountain views, but I can bike to my boat rather than drive to the mountains. It's been fun!

Wild sky over the water in Vermont on June 23, 2014

With regard to backpacking, I was in Acadia National Park last week doing day hikes and camping, but my hope is to do a few real backpacking trips to the Whites and ADK in July.
 Post Number: 7
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 2:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I must confess -- I haven't done a single 'bag night' this year!  :(

It seems like I am gravitating back to traveling (i.e. the so-called European style of backpacking which we might call hosteling).  There's a part of me that fantasizes about visiting every country on Earth -- but that's a tall order.

@Woodswoman - Here's adding to all the good wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery!

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 8
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 2:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Let's not talk about this, OK?

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 9
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 2:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On the main page, all you can see of this thread (while it was at the top of the TR list), was "How Often are You Gett...", so I naturally thought the question might be a bit more interesting than mere hiking... IMHO, "how often" is not as important as "how good" - even in regard to "hiking". So...perhaps the question is not specific enough.

I have been on one trip with the wife so far this year, back in the spring while it was still cool hereabouts to "view the stars" (we took the BS Revolution 2P, and the trip was badly planned at the last possible moment), and a few very short overnighters, solo, in the late winter (Jan/Feb) in local parks.

As to "day hiking", the wife and I walk 5 miles each and every night in the neighborhood, but haven't been out otherwise for some time. It's been in the upper 80s and low 90s for a while now, and often quite humid, so the nightly walks are done starting at 7 or 8ish, and run to just after 9. (The sun is not your friend in Texas!)

I keep thinking I'll get to the mountains again, but my knees have been acting up a bit, and are just now getting "right" again. Perhaps soon.
 Post Number: 10
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 2:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So far I've gotten out every time I've gotten in.

No wait. What was the topic? Eh, every week, some longer, some shorter. Mostly off trail. Rarely see another person.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11
ambrose Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 2:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife and I have been out, since Memorial Day weekend, every weekend. We have planned 3 5 day backpacking trips and one 9 day backpacking trip this summer. We have completed one of the 5 day trips. My wife will be doing one 4 day solo trip.

--------------
Good things for fun times
 Post Number: 12
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 3:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This year has been horrible for me to get out. The weather has been crappy every weekend with rain and thunderstorms so the trails are very wet and muddy. Oh we aren't talking just a little rain in some areas they got 3-5 inches on one day. So lots of mud. Then with all of the rain the water levels have been to high to go canoeing as all of the rivers are in flood stage and the currents really fast. I'm not even going to bring up the huge gnat and mosquito populations this year.
 Post Number: 13
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 3:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not enough. Really need some mountain air.
 Post Number: 14
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 3:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is too hot to hike here (FL). We've been in the pool every weekend. The last bag night I had was in January. I am hoping to get in a few more come Oct/Nov/Dec when the weather is decent.

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 15
Starbreaker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 4:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The answer is never enough..

That being said I try hard to get "out there" once a month.  With work/family/travel time to the mountain once a month in the warm months is a good goal.  This month was RMNP...  July is a nice fishing trip to Dillon Reservoir and picnicking with the wife.  August is either one of three trips.. East Inlet Trail in RMNP, Parika Lake in the Never Summer Wilderness, or some thing, and the leading candidate, Venable Lakes in the Sangre De Cristos....
 Post Number: 16
Roscue2 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 5:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The winter and summer are when I am usually able to get out. I have been on a few day hikes in the last month or so, as well as a 2 night camping trip in Yosemite with a few day hikes. Right now I am waiting for the beginning of July so I can start spending some money again. :)
 Post Number: 17
leafwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 5:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wife and I are obsessive about hiking. We just came in from hike 86 for the year. All day hikes of 3 - 6 miles. Some car/tent camping. We live in a rural area not very far from a state conservation area and a state park. Also, within two car hours are several more areas we visit. Plus, we did make it to the Smokys and to No. Wisc earlier this year for about a week each. Heading to Colorado in mid July, still figuring what we want to do it August, early Sept we will hit NE MN to hike and BWCA canoe and around the first of Oct we will be in the Porkies and No Wisc for about 10 days. Done that the past three years. We'll see what else comes along.

--------------
One step at a time is good walking
- Chinese proverb

Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds, for the opportunity to rain on a tent. - D Barry

Peace and love.

The wind blew my list of things to do away.
 Post Number: 18
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 6:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been on the trail 15 weekends this year for a total of 161.5 trail miles......on my horse, of course.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 19
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 6:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Out only 21 backpacking nights so far 2014. Ten days ago, we were up fishing the 10,000 ft lakes above Wishon Res...up in Woodchuck country - Sierra.

We both carry one-man fishing rafts - http://www.klymit.com/index.p....4f9a835 with  Alpacka Ninja paddles - https://www.alpackaraft.com/index.c....aPaddle  - (3 pounds total), hittting the off-trail lakes in style.

Lounge-chair lake fishing, we got lucky and hit a major one-day hatch and spent 7 hours that day on the water...(We killed them, up to 18 inch Brookies)...

Unfortunately getting 2nd degree burns on my exposed ankles, I spent the last week nursing my wounds at home, missing another fishing adventure, but healed now, will head out next week for another grand 12-day Sierra trip.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 20
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 8:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Twice this month. A few times this winter. I plan on getting out much more this year than the last few years. We'll see how it goes with my wife getting a new job.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 21
ogg Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 9:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It can be tough to find the time. Odd work hours for my wife and I (and a long work week for her), caring for two elementary school aged children and an older house, and the fact that my wife doesn't care much for camping or long hikes (but likes to do what makes the kids happy.) I'll probably log four or five 1-2 night backpack trips, a couple of car-camp/dayhike expeditions with some buddies, couple of backcountry Mojave desert jeep camping trips, a handful of Sunday dayhikes, and at least three family camping trips this year
 Post Number: 22
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 11:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Honestly, 2014 has been an absolutely dismal year for me. Family situations with aged parents have really kept me close to home since last July and some physical conditions have really slowed me down.  However, things may change shortly.  My father passed away in May, and tough as it was, it does free me of responsibilities in that area.  Monday I had an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon about my knee which was giving me increasingly intense pain, so much that I could hardly walk more than a mile. Fortunately, it's nothing that remotely requires surgery which was what I was afraid of.  It appears to be just the onset of mild arthritis which may be a problem in the future but right now it only took a cortisone shot and some anti-inflammatory medication.  The doctor sees no reason I can't resume my hiking and biking activities at a full level in a week or so. So once I finish a temporary job that I  took on that lasts three more weeks and take care of some household chores and repairs,  I'm out of here.  A few family issues still have to be sorted out, but they don't seem insurmountable.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 23
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 11:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's been a weird year for me.  I haven't gotten in any backpacking trips yet, but I get in good dayhikes almost every Saturday and Sunday, with some great hill workouts.  On my latest road trip, I was able to squeeze in eight consecutive dayhikes.  Unfortunately, that time came out of my sleep budget.
 Post Number: 24
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 12:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Zilch so far this year for bag nights. Had one or two opportunities but bad conditions cancelled them.

Had planned on a long trip, my longest, took two weeks vacation in September. But probably cancelling that too. Things went south with my wife and I, and that will be my week with my son now so can't just up and leave for two weeks. Hopefully I'll get a chance to introduce him to hiking yet this summer, but probably just a day trip or two, maybe a bag night, but nothing big.

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
 Post Number: 25
Trinity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 8:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Think I've gotten out backpacking twice this year, one 3 night trip to the Pecos Wilderness, the other was an easy 1-nighter, my 5 year old son's first actual backpacking trip!  Have also spent 5 or 6 nights car camping.  Not enough day hiking, but probably once or twice a month.  Work and family life are killing me right now, so I'm grateful for whatever I can get.  One of my goals for the year is to get in a little more canoe time.
 Post Number: 26
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 8:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm working towards a big summer trip next month, but have done at least one night on the trail about once a month. That's all about being lucky enough to have places to go within a couple of hours that are accessible all winter. I get lots of weekend trips in the "off" season.
 Post Number: 27
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 11:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Less than normal. 2014 started out well, but has slowed down a lot.

5x in January.
4x in February.
2x in March(splitting free time with new girlfriend since).
2x in April.
2x in May.
1x in June, plus starting back mountain biking locally, since my dad had surgery and I've been doing stuff for my parents, and my grandmother that they normally do everything for.
So 16 times this year, 4 days at most, usually just overnights or even dayhikes, and <25 nights total.
 Post Number: 28
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 11:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I get out most Saturdays, and in between those I have been busy in the yard.  Lots of rock moving.  I may be backpacking with woodsie, will be at PG, and headed to Yellowstone in Sept.

hikerjer, sorry to hear about your father.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 29
markweth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 11:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been out backpacking 16 nights this year, mostly one-nighters but a few two-night trips and one three-night trip. A few nights were in campgrounds after dayhiking but the rest were backpacking or bikepacking trips.

I've been on probably 15 dayhikes this year unconnected to camping or backpacking trips. A few to check out petroglyphs, a few for "exercise", and a few as just a way to spend time with friends.

I live about 25 miles from a decent chunk (by Eastern standards) of public land -- the Red River Gorge Geol0gical Area and Clifty Wilderness -- so that's where I spend most of my time, usually biking there for backpacking rather than driving, but have gotten down to the Smokies for two  trips this year.

I'm pretty happy with this amount; I aim for 37 nights each year (10% of the year . . . been trying to hit that number since 2008) on backpacking trips and it's looking like I should be able to hit that number. If I hit 37 nights this year I'll be at around 250 "lifetime" nights total.

--------------
Mostly Southeastern Outdoor Scenery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mvweth
 Post Number: 30
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 11:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

i managed to get in an overnighter once or twice a month for several years. my wife and i had a baby back in April so last weekend was my first BP trip since December... longest ive gone without in like 10 years! here's to hoping that baby ashe likes her some wilderness.

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
41 replies since Jun. 24 2014, 1:03 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply How Often are You Getting Out...?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions