2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Drones banned from all National Parks< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 1:32 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Drones Banned from All US National Parks
LiveScience.com
By By Denise Chow, Sci-Tech Editor
4 hours ago

The National Park Service (NPS), the government agency that manages the nation's national parks, monuments and other historical sites, has outlawed launching, landing or operating drones over all federally administered lands and waters. Jonathan Jarvis, director of the National Park Service, signed the policy memo into effect on June 27.

Source.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 1:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd like to see wilderness areas considered next with the FAA getting on board.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness Maps — Rocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 1:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wilderness areas should already be protected by their "Nothing Motorized" protections.  We had to make sure we were outside of the Wilderness before we were allowed to use a cordless drill for fence building.  Otherwise, it would have been the bit and brace.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 4
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 2:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As I understand it, air space above wilderness areas is still controlled by the FAA, so that a drone launched and landed outside the wilderness can fly over the wilderness and escape wilderness regulation. The FAA used to have "recommended" altitude for flight over wilderness areas. But I've never heard of those "recommendations" becoming enforceable regulations. It would be good to know for sure.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 5
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 2:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Jul. 07 2014, 11:40 am)

The National Park Service (NPS), the government agency that manages the nation's national parks, monuments and other historical sites, has outlawed launching, landing or operating drones over all federally administered lands and waters.

I would think this would cover wilderness as well.
 Post Number: 6
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 4:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Jul. 07 2014, 12:37 pm)

(TravisNWood @ Jul. 07 2014, 11:40 am)

The National Park Service (NPS), the government agency that manages the nation's national parks, monuments and other historical sites, has outlawed launching, landing or operating drones over all federally administered lands and waters.

I would think this would cover wilderness as well.

The National Park Service announcement only applies to federal lands, including park wilderness, that are administered by the Park Service. It does not apply to wilderness areas administered by other government agencies such as the Forest Service, where probably a majority of wilderness is located.

Those lands are under a different department, Agriculture versus Interior, and the Park Service has no control over those wilderness lands outside national parks and monuments.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 7
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 5:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've linked to this site a couple times previously. See this helicopter pilot's explanation of FAA flight "rules" versus "requests" on altitude over wilderness areas. Whether you agree with her ethics or not, her reasoning appears to be valid and conforms to the practices of numerous other helicopter pilots I've witnessed flying over wilderness areas — including helicopters chartered by the Wyoming Game and Fish Department.

Regardless of Park Service and Forest Service regulation (thus far lacking), until the FAA makes enforceable restrictions on flying altitude, there are likely limits to what can be done about drones over wilderness areas — ALL wilderness areas, not just those inside national parks.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 8
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 6:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's an interesting use of a drone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9KZ3jgbbmI

7 replies since Jul. 07 2014, 1:32 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Drones banned from all National Parks
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions