2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: New Job!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 4:06 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well actually I am now officially retired.  But rather than sit around I have a new gig.  I am now a volunteer backcountry ranger in ONP.  Duties include trail maintenance, "education" for park visitors, and just keeping an eye on the place.  In case of fire or SAR, I could also be involved.  I have already done three weeks in the backcountry and a week of training. I love love LOVE it ... well so far. I am based about 17 miles from the trailhead, so it takes a full day to get in and another full day to get out.  I have a cabin but also travel and use my tent and other gear just like backpacking.  

I cannot share with you my exact location as I don't want to advertise where I am.  Here is a photo.  If you recognize this place, please do not name it or tell others.

Ranger Rumi

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Starbreaker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 4:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow...  very cool...  I just got out of bed and am not awake so I can not place "ONP"...
 Post Number: 3
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 4:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cool!
 Post Number: 4
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 4:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Excellent! Party at Rumi's! (If you can find it.)

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 4:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Starbreaker @ Jul. 07 2014, 1:13 pm)
Wow...  very cool...  I just got out of bed and am not awake so I can not place "ONP"...

Olympic NP, far NW Washington State, is where I am.  Trailhead is coincidently just 17 miles from my from door.  *bigseventeenmilegrins*

Here is a photo of part of the interior of the cabin.  I have to haul water from a nearby stream, but that is OK.  As you can see by the photo, I have both a wood stove and a Coleman liquid gas stove to cook on.  I may also suppliment with a wood "rocket" stove to just heat water for dishes and bathing.  That will be so I don't have to use up fuel or burn lots of wood in the wood stove.  Anyway ...

Rumi

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 6
JOHN/OHIO Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 4:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------
                   "Fresh mud on the bottom of your boots is tranquility to the soul and a few steps closer to heaven".
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 4:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dude!  Got a pic of yourself in your new uniform?  Congrats!!

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 4:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Jul. 07 2014, 1:21 pm)
Excellent! Party at Rumi's! (If you can find it.)

Any time you want to come visit, dd, let me know and I will reveal the location to you.  CAVEAT: This is temperate rainforest, not desert.  

Rumi

--------------
 Post Number: 9
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 4:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congratulations!!  I can't think of a more deserving person.  Can you do conjugal visits on the weekends, or do you have to go home for those?  17 miles in from the trailhead.  Hmm.  I think I know that place.  Took me 2 days to hike in to it, if it is where I am thinking about.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 10
Starbreaker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 5:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Jul. 07 2014, 4:26 pm)

(Starbreaker @ Jul. 07 2014, 1:13 pm)

Olympic NP, far NW Washington State, is where I am.  Trailhead is coincidently just 17 miles from my from door.  *bigseventeenmilegrins*

Here is a photo of part of the interior of the cabin.  I have to haul water from a nearby stream, but that is OK.  As you can see by the photo, I have both a wood stove and a Coleman liquid gas stove to cook on.  I may also suppliment with a wood "rocket" stove to just heat water for dishes and bathing.  That will be so I don't have to use up fuel or burn lots of wood in the wood stove.  Anyway ...

Rumi

Oh for gods sake!  Of course Olympic...   I should never think after getting up until I've had some caffeine.
 Post Number: 11
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 5:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very nice RRD (RangerRumiDude) … I always wanted to be a Ranger when I grow up.
“Educating” the park visitors may be a bit of a pain from time to time … did they give you a gun ?  It increases student attention span.

And, I’m confused about the toilet sign in the photo of the cabin interior  … so you straddle the Coleman stove and pee out the window ?

All joking aside, congrats, looks like good ‘duty’.

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 5:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Jul. 07 2014, 1:59 pm)
Can you do conjugal visits on the weekends, or do you have to go home for those?  17 miles in from the trailhead.  Hmm.   

Of course!  17 miles is not too far to travel for sex.  *bigconjugalgrins*

Rumi

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 5:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My last stint, I logged just slightly over 100 miles of hiking.  I brushed a lot of trail as well.

Rumi

--------------
 Post Number: 14
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 5:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, now - CONGRATS! I can't think of a better way to spend retirement. Living in a cabin, in the woods, helping other hikers as needed.

Way to go, Rumi!

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 5:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(red dog @ Jul. 07 2014, 2:18 pm)
“Educating” the park visitors may be a bit of a pain from time to time … did they give you a gun ?  It increases student attention span.

No gun, but I do have a radio and official NP jacket, hat, and shirt.  I am also armed with a big smile and positive attitude. ONP is a mellow sort of place and so luckily very few jerks come there.  I just try to help everyone comply with the regs.  If they don't comply I just write it up.  If it is a big violation, I radio the LEs.

They have extra signs nailed up in all the cabins. It's tradition.

Rumi

--------------
 Post Number: 16
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 6:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like fun and a bit of work. Or vice versa.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 17
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was gonna ask if ya got to pack heat but somebody beat me to it.

Sounds perfect.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 18
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 6:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Where is the TV?

Congrats, man!

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 19
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 6:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ooh, ooh!  I think I know where that is!  I was there a decade ago, but it came to me. :)  Big wet woods, just off the river, spectacular valley.

Very cool.  Awesome, in fact.

I would like to make it a point to visit, someday.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 20
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 7:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

ONP is calling my name ... just a few more days!

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 7:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Jul. 07 2014, 4:35 pm)
Ooh, ooh!  I think I know where that is!  I was there a decade ago, but it came to me. :)  Big wet woods, just off the river, spectacular valley.

Lol... I just realized I'm completely wrong.  I was thinking of a backcountry emergency shelter, not a ranger cabin.  So it's still a mystery to me exactly where that is.  Which makes it all the cooler, actually.  :cool:

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 7:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Jul. 07 2014, 4:34 pm)

(GoBlueHiker @ Jul. 07 2014, 4:35 pm)

Lol... I just realized I'm completely wrong.  I was thinking of a backcountry emergency shelter, not a ranger cabin.  So it's still a mystery to me exactly where that is.  Which makes it all the cooler, actually.  :cool:

Yea, but yer welcome just the same, you and your family.  Always welcome where ever I am.

Rumi

--------------
 Post Number: 23
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 7:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That is AWESOME dude !

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 24
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 8:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fantastic.  I'd love to do that.  How does one snare a job like that?

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 25
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 8:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Awesome! Congrats on living the dream. It must be nice to be somewhere where most people can't find you!

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 26
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 8:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good for you and great for the park! Couldn't happen to a nicer dude.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 27
mtnsteve Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 8:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congratulations Ranger Rumi !

I'm truly thrilled for you and can't imagine anyone being better suited to the job. They got a good man.

--------------
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all."
Helen Keller
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 8:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Jul. 07 2014, 5:42 pm)
Yea, but yer welcome just the same, you and your family.  Always welcome where ever I am.

Rumi

:) :)   That's one of the nicest offers I've gotten in a long long time.  Thank you.  We just may take you up on that.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 29
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 8:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Purely awesome.  I can see a contest, wherein the first one there who doesn't already know where it is wins a prize.  You know, something like 10 hours of trail maintenance, or cleaning the cabin while you're in town picking up supplies.   Or, better yet, send the winner to town for supplies while you stay there.  :D
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 8:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Jul. 07 2014, 5:05 pm)
Fantastic.  I'd love to do that.  How does one snare a job like that?

The sad fact is our NPs are severely underfunded.  Without volunteers, most of our NPs would have to close or cut back to a much smaller operation. ONP is no exception. There is a great need for volunteers of all stripes.

I met some volunteers several years ago who encouraged me to do the same. Finally being able, I took the plunge. Through the connections I have made over the years I was able to get placed in the area I wished to be.

I have done a lot of volunteer trail work through the WTA, so in a way this is just another step for me.  Get involved with an org or through the government agencies where and how you wish. There are most likly some USFS volunteer positions open as well.  It helps to have someone on the inside to help guide you through to where you want to be. Make friends with the people in green.

Rumi

--------------
53 replies since Jul. 07 2014, 4:06 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply New Job!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions