2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Winter Birds< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
johnhens Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 7:06 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hopefully the upcoming snow (12/19) will push the winter finches in WI our way (IL). I spoke to some birders who drove up to Door County to see the Hawk Owl. I may do the same at some point.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
WisMike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 8:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was able to find both species of crossbills Christmas Day at Stute Springs at Kettle Moraine South, and I think both species continue in the Madison area as well.  Pine grosbeaks seem to still gradually be making their way south, while evening grosbeak sightings in the south have all but dried up though 150 were seen in one of the NE Wisconsin CBCs.

I went to the three state parks around the Wisconsin Dells today.  Got some photos (cloudy day so not the greatest), but the parks themselves were fairly quiet.  I did think I heard red crossbills at Mirror Lake SP, but I'm not so sure now and was hoping to get up to the bluffs to check for Townsend's solitaires at Devil's Lake SP, but I had forgotten my boots and had to get going so I didn't go all the way up.  My best birds were nothing too special, a pair of brown creepers, but still nice to see.  I did somewhat of a whirlwind trip though so I'm not sure what a longer trek in one of the parks might turn up.  Baraboo area got over a foot of snow so it's very ideal there right now for XC skiing, etc... I think.

https://www.facebook.com/meduchek
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 4:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The bad weather in NJ has the birds hunkered down.  I heard some Canada Geese heading south in the dark the last couple nights, but haven't seen anything smaller than a vulture since Monday.
 Post Number: 4
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 8:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Juncos came south early (October), then disappeared, and are back again. Typical jays, cardinals, chickadees, nuthatches, woodpeckers, mourning doves, and Carolina wren at the feeders; and a redtailed hawk that watches them all. I have no idea why the Carolina wrens stick around here during the winter... their third year doing so. Few, if any, finches. Crows come and go sporadically to feed on sumac and poison ivy berries. I saw one taking apart a squirrels nest on Christmas. I heard a pileated woodpecker in the distance.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 5
crookedknife Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 9:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife and I drove to SoCal for Xmas and camped  2 nights in the Mojave Preserve, going out and coming back. Along the way I saw Brewer's and white crown sparrow, phainopepla and red tail hawk in the desert. At my sister's house in Riverside - mockingbird, Calif. towhee, Anna's hummingbird and white crown sparrow.
But at Fairmount Park, the huge, old city park with a giant lake things really got interesting. Numerous white pelicans, Great & Snowy egrets, double crested cormorants, coots, mallards, Great blue & Black crowned night herons and Ring-billed and Herring gulls.
Away from the lake - numerous Acorn woodpeckers, Black phoebe, Yellow rumped warbler and Band tailed pigeon.
I've forgotten how great it is to go somewhere different and bird.

--------------
“In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.”
— Edward Hoagland
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 6:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Went to the Chicago Botanical Gardens to try and see a Bohemian Waxwing and Hoary Redpoll. Saw the Hoary Redpoll, did not see the Boehmian Waxwing.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 7:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Got  Long Earred and Barred Owls today.
 Post Number: 8
crookedknife Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 7:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I went out today to "pre-bird" the area we are counting for the CBC on Sat. and got Golden eagle, kestrel, Redtail hawk, Harrier, Mtn. bluebird, Cedar waxwing, many robin, song sparrow and white-crown sparrow. Just hope they stick around til the count.

--------------
“In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.”
— Edward Hoagland
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 8:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We have had tree sparrows and a fox sparrow show up at the feeders. An immature Coopers Hawk has been around also.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 4:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

First redpolls at the feeders this winter.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 9:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One of the reasons I like February: The birds start singing again after 3 months of silence.

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 3:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Feb. 07 2013, 8:34 am)
One of the reasons I like February: The birds start singing again after 3 months of silence.

Have you noticed them singing earlier in the year than in the past?
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 4:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(johnhens @ Feb. 07 2013, 3:04 pm)

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Feb. 07 2013, 8:34 am)

Have you noticed them singing earlier in the year than in the past?

No... I'd say it's about typical.

--------------
 Post Number: 14
Pennyrile Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 8:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Managed to see my very first redpoll just the other day.  I'm still holding out hope for an Evening Grosbeak before the winter's out.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 9:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Pennyrile @ Feb. 08 2013, 7:54 am)
Managed to see my very first redpoll just the other day.  I'm still holding out hope for an Evening Grosbeak before the winter's out.

Where are you located?
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 10:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In Wisconsin, the big news lately is that tons of crossbills have been showing up at bird feeders, which is considered quite unusual.  I've even seen photos posted of white-winged crossbills feeding on a nyjer thistle sock.  As for evening grosbeaks - after a small flurry of reports in late fall/early winter last year, the reports all but ceased for areas south of their usual range.  One unusual thing is that, while they are being seen in northern Wisconsin, the place you usually see tons of them (Alvin, WI) has been totally empty of them, while I know of someone who had 250 or so at her feeders one county over this winter and is probably still getting them.  Reports of pine grosbeaks have also seemed to have died down lately, though I assume they're still around in some spots.  The same goes, even more so, for bohemian waxwings, which also seem to have dwindled after being seen in good numbers earlier in the season.  It's a very strange year.
 Post Number: 17
Pennyrile Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 7:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Where are you located?

Southern Indiana.  Still need to check off evening and pine grosbeaks as well as hoary redpoll to complete the winter finches.  The latter two are extremely unlikely but there have been a few scattered reports of evening grosbeak.  I'd really like to head up to the Duluth area to check out all the winter owls and finches but I doubt I'll be able to this winter.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 4:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Saw a Snowy Owl on 2/14, a Ross's Goose, Hooded, Common and Red Breasted Merganser and a new life bird for me, a Varied Thrush.
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Varied_Thrush/id
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 8:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Saw a White Winged Crossbill and Evening Grosbeak yesterday
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 1:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Where did you see the evening grosbeak John?
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 5:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WisMike @ Feb. 18 2013, 12:18 pm)
Where did you see the evening grosbeak John?

Crabtree Nature Preserve
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 10:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

First Red Winged Blackbird at the feeders this year.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 9:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The big news as of late is that BOREAL OWLS have been making themselves seen in the Duluth area and into northern Wisconsin.  Birders have come from very far away to come see these birds.  One of them was sighted just 10 minutes from our lake house, but I checked and it was gone by the time I was up.  Now, though, GREAT GRAY OWLS are also moving into as far south as northwestern Wisconsin, and we already have a few NORTHERN HAWK OWLS around.  So all three of the "boreal" owls have been found in Wisconsin this year.  It's tempting.  Will have to see how it goes...
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2013, 11:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A great gray owl has been seen well south of its usual range near Mauston, WI, which is a little north of the Wisconsin Dells.  It has been perching on automobiles as it tries to hunt.  Photos and discussion of the bird can be seen at:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/wisbirdn/
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 4:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sandhills are moving through and we had our first ever flicker at the feeders.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 6:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pileated Woodpecker, just beyond my front window.  The Cherry tree it's working on is not long for this world.

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 10:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You the man!!!
Nice pic!!!
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 11:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Photo credit to Mrs. big_load.  She had a lot of trouble catching its head in focus.  It would have been easier with my camera, which can go into shutter-preferred or full manual.
27 replies since Dec. 19 2012, 7:06 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Winter Birds
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions