2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Spring Birds< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
johnhens Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 12:39 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Had my first woodcock of spring,hoping to get views of a Harlequin duck this week. Lots of sandhill cranes moving through.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 1:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The ospreys and eagles are nesting here in MD and chicks are being born.  For a long time resident of MD's Eastern Shore, watching our phone poles become dotted with osprey nests is always a sure sign of Spring.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 3
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 2:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Spotted my first robin of the year last week.

Saw a small black-and-white duck on my creek... either a bufflehead, ringnecked, or hooded merganser. Given the common ranges and time of year, I'm leaning towards the merganser.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 4
crookedknife Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 5:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Saw the first Say's Phoebe of the spring last week, first turkey vulture as well.
Robins winter here but they are seldom seen these days, having moved on to breedng grounds no doubt.
I put out a hummer feeder today just in case of any early bird arrivals. Usually see black chins by early April.

--------------
“In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.”
— Edward Hoagland
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 3:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(crookedknife @ Mar. 18 2013, 4:31 pm)
I put out a hummer feeder today just in case of any early bird arrivals. Usually see black chins by early April.

Good hummer site:
http://birding.about.com/gi....te=http
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 3:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While birding the other day, I saw 6 large grey birds in a corn field. My immediate thought was sandhill cranes. I was surprised to see great blue herons. Have not seen them standing in an ag field before.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 3:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That reminds me...

Years ago while driving along an interstate in Syracuse, I saw a snowy egret. I did a triple-take on that one! I assume a storm forced it this far north.

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 6:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(johnhens @ Mar. 19 2013, 3:53 am)

Good hummer site:

That's a great site, wish they had it for western hummers.
Also, yesterday in the local wetlands - 3 violet-green swallows - first of the year.

--------------
“In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.”
— Edward Hoagland
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 10:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(crookedknife @ Mar. 19 2013, 5:29 pm)

(johnhens @ Mar. 19 2013, 3:53 am)

Good hummer site:

That's a great site, wish they had it for western hummers.
Also, yesterday in the local wetlands - 3 violet-green swallows - first of the year.

We may make a trip to CO, hope to see violet green swallows
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2013, 8:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Saw a Harlequin Duck today, a life bird for me.
Beautiful bird!!
 Post Number: 11
WisMike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2013, 9:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A great gray owl now near Madison yesterday at the Capital Brewery (not my favorite beer, but it proved conducive to a gathering of birders last night who came for the owl and stayed for the beer).  Not what you'd call a "spring bird" I suppose, but then again it's remained pretty chilly in Wisconsin lately.  A big contrast to last year, when I was walking in 80-degree weather through the woods of northern Wisconsin in late March.  This is more normal and while people are complaining about it, I'm happy to have a few more weeks winter.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 10:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Woodpeckers are hammering on trees, trying to attract mates. Hopefully, they'll ignore our metal chimney flue this year.

--------------
 Post Number: 13
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 2:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Apr. 08 2013, 10:45 am)
Woodpeckers are hammering on trees, trying to attract mates. Hopefully, they'll ignore our metal chimney flue this year.

They're busy around here, too.  I saw the local Pileated Woodpecker yesterday and a Red-Headed Woodpecker on Saturday.  That pileated guy has spoiled me, since I think of the others as "plain old woodpeckers".

I had a possible Scarlet Tanager sighting yesterday, but it was moving too fast for a good look.
 Post Number: 14
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 7:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's a few of the birds we've been seeing in Colorado the past few weeks...

Ross' Goose

Great Tailed Grackle (sorry, not a good pic)

Red-winged Blackbird

Pied-billed Grebe

Hooded Merganser

Shoveler

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 15
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 7:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bald Eagle (far away). This eagle and mate are now nesting. They were feeding the eaglets a fish meal yesterday. The nest is too far away for my camera to get any pics.

Nesting Red-tailed Hawk

Great Horned Owl...those three fluffy white fuzzballs are the owlets

Crazy Canada Geese. They were sitting way up high on the top of a cliff.

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 5:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While doing prescribed burns this Spring I saw more woodcock than I have ever seen. Yesterday, had foy ruby crowned and golden crowned kinglets. Hummingbirds should be here soon.
 Post Number: 17
Trinity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2013, 4:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(johnhens @ Mar. 21 2013, 8:04 pm)
Beautiful bird!!

Wow!  Congratulations on a great bird, been wanting to see that one for a long time now.  Gonna have to travel a long way from Texas if I'm ever going to see it!

Black-chinned Hummers have been back for a few weeks, as well as Ash-throated and Scissor-tailed Flycatchers.  Heard the first Scott's Oriole of the season, and my wife heard a Summer Tanager a few days back.  A few warblers moving through the area, but not much yet.  A pair of Screech Owls has taken up residence in our owl box.  Hoping for a decent migration this year!
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2013, 5:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Trinity @ Apr. 11 2013, 3:46 pm)

(johnhens @ Mar. 21 2013, 8:04 pm)
Beautiful bird!!

Wow!  Congratulations on a great bird, been wanting to see that one for a long time now.  Gonna have to travel a long way from Texas if I'm ever going to see it!

Black-chinned Hummers have been back for a few weeks, as well as Ash-throated and Scissor-tailed Flycatchers.  Heard the first Scott's Oriole of the season, and my wife heard a Summer Tanager a few days back.  A few warblers moving through the area, but not much yet.  A pair of Screech Owls has taken up residence in our owl box.  Hoping for a decent migration this year!

Saw my first scissor tailed flycatcher in OK a few years ago, amazed that little bird flies with that tail!!
One of these Springs I have to get to Texas to bird!!!
I put a screech owl box up a month or so ago. I have already shagged a pair of squirrels out.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2013, 5:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Woodsy, you have been busy!!!
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2013, 10:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

By the way, I blew my REI dividend and 20% coupon on some bigger (and better) binoculars.  My intended application was scouting ruins, but so far I've mostly watched the heavens and the birds.

Canada Geese and Mallards are nesting down at the lake.  I'm looking forward to catching a glimpse of the Green Heron, but I need to get out in the canoe for that.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2013, 9:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We had a Rufous Sided Towhee and Pheobe show up at the feeder and in the yard. We have had phoebe's before in the fall, they would sit in the tree and follow the bugs kicked up when I was mowing. The towhee, a first at the house. Also a wood thrush in the trees behind the house.
We put the hummingbird feeder out.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 6:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Birded yesterday at the local Forest Preserve. FOY Yellow Rumped Warblers, Hermit Thrush, lots of both Ruby crowned and golden crowned kinglets and heard a turkey gobbling. Towhee's seen and heard.
 Post Number: 23
Kuzma Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 2:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Spring season is beautiful season in the year, My grand parents are farmer and in spring season i want to live with them in village. We enjoy the spring season their and go for hunting also.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 9:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bluebirds fighting with a starling atop a bluebird house yesterday morning. I hope the bluebirds stay. That house is ususally occupied by wrens.

--------------
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 1:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The fight for territory is ramping up.  The ducks seem to be paired off already, too.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 7:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

White-faced Ibis in migration at the local wetlands. Watched a migrating osprey dive for fish in a nearby lake. Also, FOY black-throated sparrow, western kingbird and killdeer.

--------------
— Edward Hoagland
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 9:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mockingbird really showing off his skills this morning.

--------------
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2013, 3:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

3 life birds for me: Last weekend, a Wilson's Phalarope and Caspian Tern. This AM, finally got a Cinnamon Teal, a duck not normally seen in the Midwest and one I have searched for years.

At home, a pair of chickadees are in and out of a box we put up last year. Last summer a pair of wrens raised a brood, hope the chickadees move in. We put out nesting material for the chickadees. Also saw a Pine Warbler in the yard, a first for the yard!!!
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 8:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is a heron rookery at Nachusa Grasslands where I volunteer. There are about 50 nests that currently have herons sitting on them. I have never checked the nest before, good to see this site being used.
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 8:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yellow Warblers, Orchard and Baltimore Orioles, Gray Catbird, Palm Warblers, Rose Breasted Grosbeaks, House Wrens at the local Forest Preserve

New at the house: Orioles and Grosbeaks and Blue Gray Gnatcatchers, House Wrens.
Tomorrow is supposed to be a good day for migrants.
42 replies since Mar. 18 2013, 12:39 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Spring Birds
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions