2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: insect surge, PNW< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
NattySolo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 06 2014, 2:57 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've lived in Seattle for almost 20 years now, and have seen a few critters this spring/summer that I haven't encountered in this part of the country until now.

first, tent caterpillars. grew up in NJ and they were a common pest during my youth. never seen them in the PNW until this year. not too bad in the city, yet I saw them literally crawling all over a shoreline on nearby Whidbey Island.

next, ticks. I have never seen one, had one feast on me, nothing - until this spring/summer. I had a really nasty experience with one about a month ago, and saw one crawling on my leg about a week ago. luckily I saw that one in time.

if anyone from the area reads this, I'd be curious if you've seen this also. especially the ticks. i'[ve done plenty of backpacking in the three NPs here, etc without incident. just an unlucky year for me?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2014, 2:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is a peak year for eastern tent caterpillars here in the midwest, way more than usual, but also a different species then yours. This has also been a bad year for ticks here.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 3
DonTom Search for posts by this member.
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2014, 3:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(NattySolo @ Jul. 06 2014, 11:57 am)
next, ticks. I have never seen one, had one feast on me, nothing - until this spring/summer. I had a really nasty experience with one about a month ago, and saw one crawling on my leg about a week ago. luckily I saw that one in time.
There are places I have hiked where I average getting a tick every time. San Pedro Park in Pacifica, CA is one such place. Sometimes an hour hike results in five or six ticks already sucking my blood before I even get home to notice them. I do know to check after every hike in some areas, such as there.  I rarely notice them "in time". I simply pull them out very slowly when I get home after  checking for them.

I have had so many ticks that I don't make a big deal out of them. They have not yet caused me any problem and I have had a lot more ticks sucking my blood than I can count.

I have noticed that places with many deer, such as San Pedro Park, have countless ticks everywhere, just like the countless deer there.

OTOH, I have yet to get a single tick from my backpacking trips in the Sierras. At least none that I have noticed.

Other than the slim chance of Lyme disease with some ticks, I just don't think of ticks as that big of a deal.

-Don-  SSF, CA

--------------
-Don- South San Francisco, CA or Cold Springs Valley, NV (near Reno).
2 replies since Jul. 06 2014, 2:57 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply insect surge
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions