2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: The Light in High Places...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2010, 3:46 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Greetings, verbivores...!!!

Scientist, naturalist, photographer, cowboy and writer.  Joe Hutto does a fine job of detailing his times in the Wind River Range of Wyoming in The Light in High Places: A Naturalist Looks at Wyoming Wilderness, Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep, Cowboys, and other Rare Species ($24.95, Skyhorse Press).

Hutto does  a fine job of detailing his times working on Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep studies in the Winds.  A biologist and naturalist, Hutto's love of the land is portrayed in fine detail and his wildlife encounters with grizzlies, wolves, sheep, cougars and wolverines are good reading.

I especially like the chapter describing his arrival in WY and the discovery of wilderness.  Hutto also does a good job of detailing the characters (people) found in this wild location.

I really liked finding out John Mionczynski still lives in the area.  Mionczynski, a biologist, leads the studies Hutto is assigned.  Mionczynski was featured in Robert Redford's The Outlaw Trail (an excellent book!) and a National Geographic article on the same from the mid -1970s.  

Mionczynski built his own cabin and still lives near the remote town of Atlantic City, WY.

If you enjoy wildlife research and observations and the unique setting of the Winds, you should like Hutto's book...

http://thewritequestion.blogspot.com/2010....es.html

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur"
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2010, 11:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dang it, RS, would you stop recommending good books, I just can't read that fast!!!!!!   Crimminy.  Just kidding.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 3
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2010, 3:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can read that fast, but I can't afford to buy that fast.  Our library has cut back on its hours so it is difficult to get in there too. Thanks.  This sounds great.

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 15 2012, 2:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just finished this book.  Wow, what a good recommendation.  

The sheep study/alone in the alpine parts were good, but my favorite parts (sort of like Rangersven) were his arriving in Wyoming and his jobs cowboying, and the characters there.  Just loved that part.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2012, 5:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad you liked the book, Mtngrl...!!!  I love his early discoveries; it reminded me of the 1st few years I lived in MT.  Hutto has an interesting program on Turkeys over at Nature on PBS.  A strange but interesting show.  Check it out and view it on-line.  Hutto is also working on a movie about mule deer at his place in WT; it should be out soon.

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
 Post Number: 6
johnhens Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2012, 11:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks RS, it is on the list!
 Post Number: 7
Trinity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2012, 1:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This sounds like a really good book, thanks for the recommendation.  And it's available for my Nook!
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2012, 8:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is an interesting article on "Big John" from the book.

http://wyofile.com/2011/09/john-mionczynski/

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 5:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That was an interesting article.  Big Foot?  Really?  OK.

--------------
 Post Number: 10
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 9:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bigfoot collapsed his tent, then disappeared into the forest where it could be heard for hours.

Wow, what a story. This shows how myths are born, and with the comments from the people in the section below the article we have a great example of oral tradition.

This folks, is how and why we have religions.

Hearsay is accepted, when the person is liked and therefore deemed credible without question.

It was stated at the beginning of the article that he was eccentric. Maybe that should be taken more into account.
 Post Number: 11
Trinity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 9:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just finished the book, and really loved it.  Thanks again for the recommendations.  Unlike some, my favorite parts had to do with the sheep study.  Wildlife biology and wilderness.  Can't beat it.
 Post Number: 12
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 4:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Got it on order at the library.  Hope it comes soon.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 13
johnhens Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 2:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is on the way, thanks!!
 Post Number: 14
canadianrockiesgirl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 3:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am about 2/3 of my way through this book and am having a difficult time putting it down.  Hutto has very eloquently put into words all the reasons why I find the Winds and Wyoming itself to be such special places. I would like to recommend it to just about everybody I know but at the same time I want to be selfish and not tell anyone how special it is to experience the Winds. :O
 Post Number: 15
kkvolk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 2:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's book is going on my Kindle today.  I met John Mionczynski a few years back.  He is considered the father of goat packing. We were at a TH in the Winds loading up the goats and he drove by and saw us. He turned around and came back to chat for a while.  He had some stories to tell
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 12:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

"It's book is going on my Kindle today.  I met John Mionczynski a few years back.  He is considered the father of goat packing. We were at a TH in the Winds loading up the goats and he drove by and saw us. He turned around and came back to chat for a while.  He had some stories to tell"

Kkvolk,

I'd like to hear about these stories.  THX.

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
15 replies since Sep. 07 2010, 3:46 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply The Light in High Places...
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions