2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Barefoot Sisters: Southbound, AT hike book free on kindle< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Echo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 25 2011, 12:42 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have not read it, but found this link to get it for free on kindle

http://www.pixelofink.com/free-eb....letcher

At the ages of twenty-five and twenty-one, Lucy and Susan Letcher set out to accomplish what thousands of people attempt each year: through-hike the entire 2,175 miles of the Appalachian Trail. The difference between them and the others? They decided to hike the trail barefoot.

Quickly earning themselves the moniker of the Barefoot Sisters, the two begin their journey at Mount Katahdin and spend eight months making their way to Springer Mountain in Georgia. As they hike, they write about their adventures through the 100-mile Wilderness, the rocky terrain of Pennsylvania, and snowfall in the Great Smoky Mountains – a story filled with humour and determination. It’s as close as one can get to hiking the Appalachian Trail without strapping on a pack.

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2011, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The promo has ended and it's listed at fourteen dollars and some odd cents now

--------------

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

Post Number: 3
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2011, 11:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am currently reading the book.  So far I like it but I have yet to find how they ever came up with the 300 pages they did.  They just aren't that interesting with some of their stories but the book does read well.  I enjoy it mostly for the details about trail life, you can envision some of the characters they run into.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2011, 1:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I haven't started it yet because my son and I are defeating the Eragon books together since the fourth and final one came out.

--------------

Post Number: 5
Blazer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2014, 12:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They have a second book too.."Walking Home". They do a Yo Yo..head south to Springer Mountain, then turn around and go back to Maine.

I liked both books a lot. I can barely walk on the beach barefoot, never mind on a trail but I really enjoyed their trials and tribulations and it got me interested in backpacking and maybe contemplating at least a long section hike on the AT. I've done bits and pieces as a day hiker.

I wish they'd gone on to hike the PCT or CDT but I guess that was it for them.

--------------
"And now it's your chance to move on
Change the way you've lived for so long
And find the strength you've had inside all along
'Cause life starts now" - Three Days Grace
 Post Number: 6
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2014, 6:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Shoot, sorry I missed seeing this, although I didn't have a kindle until Christmas.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 7
Blazer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2014, 10:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I keep saying I should get a kindle. I bought my daughter one last year for Christmas. But I guess I like the fact that a book can take a beating much better than any piece of electronics can. I'm hard on my books and can't imagine what I'd do to a kindle. Just keeping my cell phone alive is a chore.  :laugh:

In any form, the Barefoot Sister books are worth a read. I'm assuming their story is true. It's pretty amazing. Walk the AT barefoot through most of it and do it in the winter! Then turn around and do it again. Wow.

--------------
"And now it's your chance to move on
Change the way you've lived for so long
And find the strength you've had inside all along
'Cause life starts now" - Three Days Grace
6 replies since Nov. 25 2011, 12:42 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Barefoot Sisters: Southbound
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions