2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: The Way, the movie< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
johnhens Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2012, 7:24 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We rented this movie last night. Martin Sheen (Tom)is a father who goes to France to ID his deceased adult son (played by Emilio Estivez who also directs the film) who dies from exposure (I assume) while hiking the Camino de Santiago.

Tom decides to hike The Way and finish the trek his son started. Along the way he spreads his son's ashes. For all who have done a longer hike, you will relate to the characters Tom meets and hikes with.

More on the Camino:

The Camino de Santiago or the Way of St. James is a spiritual journey that pilgrims of all faiths and backgrounds have traversed for over a thousand years. The pilgrimage originally began at one’s doorstep, though modern trekkers today would find that rather difficult, particularly American pilgrims needing to cross the Atlantic. While there are a number of established routes leading to Santiago from all directions, the most popular is the Camino Frances, which crosses the Pyrenees Mountains along the Spanish-French border starting in St. Jean Pied de Port.

This Camino route covers 800 kilometers that traverses an idyllic northern Spanish countryside. By following the yellow painted arrows marking the road, a pilgrim can expect to walk 12-15 miles a day to reach the next town for the night. At this pace, a pilgrim can reach the Cathedral de Santiago in 6 to 8 weeks time to attend the Pilgrim's Mass held at noon each day. Some take more time, others less. Some choose to travel by bike, and some have done the Camino on horseback. Along the way travelers encounter albergues, refugios and casa rurals that cater specifically to the thousands of pilgrims of all ages that take this journey each year, immersing themselves in the local food, culture and history dedicated to this experience.

Pilgrims walk the Camino for various reasons. Some to seek penance, others enlightenment, and still others for a sense of adventure, yet all progress toward the Cathedral in Santiago where it is believed the remains of the apostle St. James are held. Most pilgrims choose to carry a scallop shell with them to symbolize their journey in honor of St. James. According to legend, scallop shells are said the have covered St. James’ body after it was found on the shores of the Galician coast. Another, perhaps more useful symbol is a walking stick to aid a weary pilgrim on his or her journey. Most pilgrims also carry a document called the credencial, purchased for a few euros from a Spanish tourist agency, a church on the route or from their church back home. The credencial is a pass which gives access to inexpensive, sometimes free, overnight accommodation in refugios along the trail. Also known as the "pilgrim's passport", the credencial is stamped with the official St. James stamp of each town or refugio at which the pilgrim has stayed. It provides walking pilgrims with a record of where they ate or slept, but also serves as proof to the Pilgrim's Office in Santiago that the journey is accomplished according to an official route. The credencial is available at refugios, tourist offices, some local parish houses, and outside Spain, through the national St. James organisation of that country. The stamped credencial is also necessary if the pilgrim wants to obtain a compostela, a certificate of completion of the pilgrimage.

Regardless of whether a pilgrim’s journey begins for religious, spiritual or cultural reasons, the meditative nature of the Camino offers the perfect landscape in which to dedicate contemplation. Pilgrims follow the path amidst the villages, towns, rivers, mountains and fertile valleys that have changed the lives of millions of pilgrims who walked before them.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2012, 11:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

THX for the review, JH...!!!  I've been meaning to see this since I first hear Emilio and Martin intreviwed about the picture on NPR.  The scenery looks spectacular from some of the trailers I've seen...

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur"
 Post Number: 3
bionicearhiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2012, 9:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I liked the movie very much...but I tend to like anything Sheen does. Actor turned travel writer Andrew McCarthy was on Rick Steves' NPR show yesterday talking about his own experience walking the Camino.

http://www.ricksteves.com/radio/streaming/program282.asx
 Post Number: 4
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2012, 11:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great movie. Less to do with backpacking in the sense that we do it, but a poignant movie about the loss of a son and rediscovering what it means to live a life.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 5
IAJeff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2012, 11:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tomas @ Apr. 09 2012, 11:52 am)
Great movie. Less to do with backpacking in the sense that we do it, but a poignant movie about the loss of a son and rediscovering what it means to live a life.

Agreed. Only saw something pulled from a pack once. But the movie is about more than backpacking. Liked it a lot.
 Post Number: 6
thegriz1 Search for posts by this member.
Will hike for beer

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 03 2012, 6:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Loved the movie

--------------
Life is too short to drink cheap beer
 Post Number: 7
OregonNomad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 03 2012, 7:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I really enjoyed the movie also.  The background of why the movie was made is also kinda neat.  According to Wikipedia:

Apparently it all started back in 2003 when Emilio's son, Taylor, and Martin drove the pilgrimage route.  Along the way Taylor met the woman who would eventually become his wife.  Somewhere along the line Taylor, Martin, and Emilio discussed making a movie about the Camino de Santiago, with some back and forth between Emilio and Martin about how the movie should be done--documentary or fictional story.  I like how it turned out.

--------------
Servant of two house cats
 Post Number: 8
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 05 2012, 10:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I watched the The Way just the other day on Netflix.  While not what we in the US might think of as our brand of backpacking, it was a good movie and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
 Post Number: 9
SnidelyWhiplash Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2012, 11:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the recommendation.  I really enjoyed this movie.  It's available on streaming netlflix if anyone's looking for it.
 Post Number: 10
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2012, 2:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I really enjoyed this movie, too.  Such characters.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 11
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2012, 2:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rick Steves has a show on NPR?  I didn't know that, I love Rick Steves!

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 12
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2012, 1:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Finally got around to renting this film last night.  Great movie.  Striking in there was not profanity, no violence, no real action and no sex.  Still it was riveting, entertaining and thought provoking.  Well worth the time.

I'd like to do that, under different circumstances, of course.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 13
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2012, 9:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I watched this last weekend and really enjoyed it.

I wondered if the Camino is actually that crowded or if they just did that for filming.  It seemed as though there were crowds of backpackers all along the trail.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 14
SauntRR Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2012, 10:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I also watched The Way on Netflix the other night, initially as "research" as I plan to hike the Camino next spring, but enjoyed the movie for its own sake.  I like how each "pilgrim" has his/her own story, some we get to know, others not.

--------------
...SAUNTERING is derived "from idle people who roved about the country, under pretense of going a la Sainte Terre," to the Holy Land....  Some, however, would derive the word from sans terre without land or home, which will mean having no particular home, but equally at home everywhere.   Thoreau
13 replies since Apr. 07 2012, 7:24 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply The Way, the movie
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions