2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: John Muir Trail Documentary, A free screening code to watch the film< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
HighSierraDoc Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2012, 10:52 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Folks! New user here visiting the forums to share my recently finished Documentary - High Sierra: A Journey on the John Muir Trail

It came out amazing and has played at a handful of cool film festivals. It's certainly not a "how to hike the JMT" film but it is a great first hand account of the trip, with some great music and really cool characters.

Here is a link to the trailer
And you can watch the opening scene here
You can watch the whole film online for free using the link to this code:
https://prescreen.com/redeem?code=EAK-MF-CWR

I hope you get to check it out and share with some friends.
It is also available on Blu-ray for any real adventure film collectors.

Please let me know your thoughts or leave me a comment on our facebook page.
We've had some great response from avid hikers but have also heard some concerns about the way we handled the bear encounter. Ultimately it is a good visual of what NOT to do when storing food in the Sierras.

Cheers!
Pete
petebelltv@gmail.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2012, 2:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cool!
Thanks for the info.
 Post Number: 3
Senk420 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2012, 2:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, talk about timing, I randomly came across the trailer for this yesterday, I cant wait to check it out. Thanks!

--------------
Cheers.

Post Number: 4
bionicearhiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 26 2012, 12:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good film dude. Ranger Johnson was in rare form and the cenematography was excellent.
Good on you.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 26 2012, 8:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Awesome, Glad some of you all are getting to check it out!

@Bionicearhiker Shelton Johnson was definitely in rare form that day. What an amazing guy. We only had about 30 minutes with him and I used pretty much everything he said.
I love it when he says... "you're about to die!"

here is the facebook page if you want to keep up with things or leave me a nice comment :)

http://www.facebook.com/HighSierraDoc
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2012, 7:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I too was amazed at his candor when discussing flash floods in slots. Honesty is the best policy.
 Post Number: 7
yosemitefan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2012, 4:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nothing personal, but I hope the NPS fined the **** out of you for hanging food in Lyell Canyon.
 Post Number: 8
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2012, 6:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I really enjoyed this documentary and am glad that we have a new venue to watch films that we might not otherwise get to see. Great job!
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2012, 7:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(yosemitefan @ Apr. 29 2012, 4:27 pm)
Nothing personal, but I hope the NPS fined the **** out of you for hanging food in Lyell Canyon.

Yes they broke some (important, rational) rules, but I'm sure they are aware of them now. The point is that these young men got out there and hiked 200 miles while their buddies were at home Facebooking and Tweeting about video games. The more young folk we can get out on the trails the better chance we have of protecting these trails and creating more in the future.
 Post Number: 10
yosemitefan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2012, 8:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bionicearhiker @ Apr. 29 2012, 7:12 pm)

(yosemitefan @ Apr. 29 2012, 4:27 pm)

Yes they broke some (important, rational) rules, but I'm sure they are aware of them now. The point is that these young men got out there and hiked 200 miles while their buddies were at home Facebooking and Tweeting about video games. The more young folk we can get out on the trails the better chance we have of protecting these trails and creating more in the future.

It's awesome to take kids out and get them into something truly inspirational like that, and the footage is amazing. I just don't like seeing people laughing about bears taking their food when they're disregarding food storage rules. The video they say that hanging is not the recommended way, but to be more accurate it's not a legal way to store food in the Yosemite backcountry. I didn't see the full video because of issues with prescreen.com, but on the 6 minute snippet you specifically see everyone being told to put their food in the bear can. Maybe there weren't enough to rent from the wilderness office, but that's still no excuse. I'm going to camp a night in Lyell Canyon this summer, and I don't like the idea of that specific bear coming down and expecting a meal at my campsite because a group thought the rules didn't apply to them and rewarded the bear with a great meal. As bad as feeding the bears is for us, it's way worse for them and for the park when they have to be put down. Honestly, I don't want people who don't think they have to follow wilderness rules in Yosemite.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2012, 11:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fair enough...after all a fed bear is a dead bear. I get it. I get it now. But when I was 16 I didn't have all the rules memorized yet...nor did I care about the rules anyways. I was 16. They will learn, and they will spread the gospel as you are right now. So kudos. Keep spreading the good word, just try to do it with a smile...kids tend to rebel against us old folk and our rules if we try to impose them on them in an aggressive manner. Peace out and happy (responsible)  hiking.
 Post Number: 12
davecarb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2012, 1:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I keep getting a "SecurityError - Error #2000".  Is there something I'm doing wrong here?  I really would like to view the movie.  Thanks.

--------------
"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out 'till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." ~ John Muir
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2012, 5:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Streaming of the film was a bit sketchy for me as well FYI. It froze up quite a bit. And I have a blazing fast connection.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2012, 11:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just to clarify the situation if I may... and I understand that people watching the film may only be perceiving what is portrayed on the screen. This was the most dramatic night of the trip, and the group was truly unprepared and caught off guard. We definitely took it very seriously and learned an important lesson! By no means were the rules deliberately disregarded.

Everyone in the High Sierra documentary group had a bear canister the entire trip.

All of the people in our group camping at Lyell Canyon that night had as much food possible crammed into bear canisters. 8+ days worth! They were fresh on trail and trying to be vigilant about securing all scented items... that included our pots and pans, drink mixes, sunscreens, etc.
just as a side note... the filmmaker - ME,  had everything inside my canister and did not lose anything to the problem bear.

The hang was a bad move. Fortunately,  everyone was able to secure everything else from then on.
Hopefully other folks will see what can happen and will take steps to ensure not having this ever happen again.

Thanks for your great feedback folks!
Please don't hesitate to leave me a note on our FB or Twitter page

-Pete

PS - the film just won BEST DOCUMENTARY at the Cape Fear Independent Film Festival!
 Post Number: 15
davecarb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2012, 11:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I finally got to watch the movie.  I thought it was great.  I like the way it shows how each hiker became a survivor and turned what they thought was a horrible experience into the great experience of a life time.  Well done.  Thank you.

--------------
"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out 'till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." ~ John Muir
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2012, 2:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is a link to an older rough cut of the scene in question.
Warning: Bad Language!
Bear scene begins at 3:07 mark.

https://vimeo.com/13936584
Day 3 - Lyell Canyon Lesson

"That place is just full of bears and they tell you not to camp there, but apparently some people didn't get that info."
 Post Number: 17
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2012, 7:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very well done! Great camera work. Those boys will remember this trip their entire lives.
 Post Number: 18
Kevins89notch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2012, 3:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The short preview looked amazing.  I'll watch the full thing probably tomorrow.  I know a couple week ago I started watching one person's video blog via youtube of their trip on the trail, and next thing I knew I had watched about 4 hours worth of different people on the trail.
 Post Number: 19
Kevins89notch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2012, 6:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just watched it.  It was very well put together.  Looks like everyone needed to buy some real shoes before this attempt.  I went to yosemite for the first time last august and simply bought some proper trail shoes for $100 from Travel Country, and a couple pair of smart wool socks.  I didn't even have anything close to a blister, ever after long hikes like Half Dome.
 Post Number: 20
brownmouse Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2012, 2:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I only saw the trailer but how exciting. Beautiful!!!!! Can't wait to watch the whole thing!! My hubby and I want to do that trail in the next yr or 2.

BTW - don't mind the grumpy guys. There are a few here, but most everyone is wonderful here!!!

--------------
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees."   John Muir   1898
 Post Number: 21
dmdhiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 30 2012, 8:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Can't seem to view the movie, the trailer looks great.  Just get a blank Queue list.  Any suggestions?
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 9:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Folks!
Here is an updated link to watch the documentary for free:

High Sierra - A Journey on the John Muir Trail on SNAGFILMS

Keep the discussion going!

@highsierradoc
 Post Number: 23
EGreno Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 1:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I thought it was great.
 Post Number: 24
Tuffy2toes Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 7:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I dont think I could have spent 1 hour with that group in the suggested video.

However, here is a link of a group of guys I could do the whole trail with;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLkTM4w98jo

They averaged 16.14 miles per day!
23 replies since Apr. 23 2012, 10:52 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply John Muir Trail Documentary
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions