2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: As the Crow Flies, by Craig Johnson...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2012, 8:39 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Greetings, verbivores...!!!

The new book by Craig Johnson is out---and after reading it I can only give it a fair rating---two out of five stars on the RS book review ranking.

I did not enjoy the new character in this story to be likeable (a female police chief on the rex), and the last two Johnson books are full of bad police procedures.  He really needs to address this as they really bring down the believability of his stories.

And the actual story was somewhat dull in my opinion.  Johnson as usual, has moments of wonderful dialogue, and his sense of humor is one of the best in all current authors.

I'd like to know what YOU think, if and when YOU read it...  

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2012, 12:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep, I have found Johnson to be sadly disappointing as a replacement for the now departed Tony Hillerman.

Too much to ask I guess for another exceptional writer of western culture/crime, and rural police procedure.

But I keep hoping.  I won't be buying the new book, but will probably pick it up at the library some day, maybe a winter day.

What do you think of the TV series based on the Longmire stories??

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 3
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2012, 11:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll watch for it on audio.  

So far, I don't care for the Longmire TV show.  The "Cheyenne Nation" actor does not have the book's Indian dry humor, and Vic is not the sassy, wild, but fun gal in the books.  I missed, intentionally, the 3rd show, but may give it a couple more tries.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 4
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2012, 9:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've watched the pilot show and enjoyed the scenery and the actor that's portraying Sheriff Walt.  In all fairness to Johnson, he is not writing the shows stories.  I was suprised to see they cast a blond for the Vic character (though I went to high school with plenty of bond hair and blue-eyed Italians).

It's got to be hard to write for a show that is less than 60 minutes.  One thing the last few books are missing is the old, one-legged, crazy ex-sheriff---and Johnson needs to bring him back in the next book.  He adds a lot to the story.

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
 Post Number: 5
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2012, 7:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is way too much logical disconnect and congnitive dissonance in the books, and it just gets worse in the TV show.

Very poor casting for everyone except Sheriff Walt, he is about right.  The Vic character is a complete bust, IMO.  

Not to mention the fact that the Indian rez they incorporate in the story is in Montana, not Wyoming.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 6
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2012, 3:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, the vic character is way too nice and polite in the TV show, and I'd like more of the "Cheyenne Nation" and his dry humor.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 7
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2012, 5:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Haven't seen the show (and won't, most likely).  I have been enjoying the series so far, three books into it.  Sorry to hear it's not holding up,though as I'm working on just a second book of the same folks I'm realizing how hard it is to keep coming up with stuff.  I now understand why, though readers like a series, authors like to mess around more.  I will probably only do two Ninja Librarian books and then go back to some older projects.  I just can't see doing more without going stale.  Maybe that's Johnson's problem.

Of course he's no Hillerman.  No one is.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
Upstream Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2012, 2:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think I first saw mention of Johnson here, and have kept my eyes open, but nothing appeared in local stores until the TV series came out (this kind of book, I like to thumb first).  I've read in order, and enjoyed the first a good deal, but generally lessening as it goes on.  As others have noted, that may show a general problem about any series (and thinking back over the years, yeah, I'd say more often than not).

Thanks for the thumbnail RS.  I'll wait either for the new one to hit the used store or for my local library to get re-opened some hours that I can actually show up.
7 replies since Jun. 17 2012, 8:39 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply As the Crow Flies, by Craig Johnson...
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions