2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: 5 Favorites< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
CenAZwalker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 08 2012, 1:51 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's hard to narrow down but here are five of my favorite "nature" books:

A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson
The Snow Leopard - Peter Matthiessen
Coming Into the Country - John McPhee
The Journey Home - Edward Abbey
A Thousand Mile Walk to the Gulf - Mr. John Muir

Anyone?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ckfreund Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2012, 9:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Now you got me started. Here are some of my favorites (narrowed down to five):

Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey
Encounters with the Archdruid by John McPhee
Outposts of Eden by Page Stegner
The Secret Knowledge of Water by Craig Childs
Promised Land by Michael Frome
 Post Number: 3
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2012, 10:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ha...!!!  Just 5...???  This will be very, very hard to do.  I'll give it some thought and get back to 'ya...

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
 Post Number: 4
CampinCarl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2012, 3:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Worst Journey in the World, Apsley Cherry-Garrard
A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush, Eric Newby
Arabian Sands, Wilfred Thesiger
Listening for Coyote, William L. Sullivan
Honey in the Horn, H.L. Davis

I mentioned these five in an earlier thread you might be interested in.  A lot of great recommendations in here:

Backpacker Forums - Topic: Suggest One Book

--------------
"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike." - John Muir
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 16 2012, 11:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CampinCarl @ Jul. 10 2012, 3:10 pm)
The Worst Journey in the World, Apsley Cherry-Garrard
A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush, Eric Newby
Arabian Sands, Wilfred Thesiger
Listening for Coyote, William L. Sullivan
Honey in the Horn, H.L. Davis

I mentioned these five in an earlier thread you might be interested in.  A lot of great recommendations in here:

Backpacker Forums - Topic: Suggest One Book

Ahh, thanks for the link, I hadn't looked through the archives.
 Post Number: 6
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2012, 12:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Undaunted Courage
by Stephen E. Ambrose.  about Lewis and Clark is the first one that popped into my mind

Then there is one more for middle schoolers, that I love to teach, called Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2012, 3:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, I love the Lewis and Clark journals.  And I can't believe I didn't include John Wesley Powell's Exploration of the Colorado River and its Canyons in my original post.
 Post Number: 8
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 27 2012, 4:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Man, hard to pick from so many good books, but here are two of my favorites:

Death on the Barrens: A true Story of Courage and Tragedy in the Canadian  Arctic by George James Grinnell

Fate is a Mountain by Mark Pratt (stories of an early ranger, and his family) in Glacier NP)

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 9
johnhens Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 27 2012, 5:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mtngrl @ Jul. 27 2012, 3:13 pm)
Man, hard to pick from so many good books, but here are two of my favorites:

Death on the Barrens: A true Story of Courage and Tragedy in the Canadian  Arctic by George James Grinnell

Fate is a Mountain by Mark Pratt (stories of an early ranger, and his family) in Glacier NP)

I will add them to the list!!
 Post Number: 10
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2012, 1:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mtngrl @ Jul. 27 2012, 4:13 pm)

Here's a quote from it that would have been relevant in the Gear Forum a couple months ago:

Before coming on the trip, I had outfitted myself with the cheapest sleeping bag available at the local army-navy surplus store. It was made of kapok, one of those miracle fibers that inevitably migrates to the corners of sleeping bags before disintegrating into the night.

The death in the title can be at least partly attributed to that choice of gear, although it was only one of many poor decisions.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2012, 10:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, bl, I just couldn't believe the crazy, bad decisions they, or that leader kept on making.  But, I love that story!

Death on the Barrens reminds me of another book :  "Lure of the Labrador Wild: the story of the exploring expedition conducted by Leonidas Hubbard, Jr." by Dillon Wallace.  I think someone here recomended this book.  I really enjoyed it!

I'm glad CamppinCarl mentioned "Worst Journey in the World"

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 12
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2012, 5:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mtngrl @ Jul. 31 2012, 10:25 am)
Yes, bl, I just couldn't believe the crazy, bad decisions they, or that leader kept on making.  But, I love that story!

It sure seems like the leader was suffering from depression or some other pathological condition that allowed him to become so detached from the reality of their plight.

Another thumbs-up here for "The Worst Journey in the World".
 Post Number: 13
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 03 2012, 6:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mtngrl @ Jul. 31 2012, 10:25 am)

Death on the Barrens reminds me of another book :  "Lure of the Labrador Wild: the story of the exploring expedition conducted by Leonidas Hubbard, Jr." by Dillon Wallace.  I think someone here recomended this book.  I really enjoyed it!

I'm glad CamppinCarl mentioned "Worst Journey in the World"

Lure and it's sequel are both great books.

+1 on Worst Journey in the World. I get cold just reading it!

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 13 2012, 3:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lure has a sequel?  What's the title of that book?  I'll go check it out on amazon.

--------------
 Post Number: 15
Arizona Search for posts by this member.
Valhalla, I am coming

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2012, 6:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mtngrl @ Jul. 31 2012, 3:25 am)

I am very glad you recommended Death on the Barrens. It was a great read and I liked the story very much. They really did get caught up in that otherworldly country and lost their sense of reality. It was like they were paddling further and further into their own minds as they paddled further up that river system.

Big Load, I laughed out loud when I read the passage about the kapok sleeping bag and thought about the gear forum too.  :D

Agreed on The Lure of the Labrador Wild mtngrl. That is another strange, surreal adventure.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2012, 3:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tomas, I looked at amazon, and Dillon Wallace has several books about the Labrador.  What is the title of the sequel to Lure of the Labrador, please?

--------------
 Post Number: 17
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2012, 8:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mtngrl @ Aug. 20 2012, 12:01 pm)
Tomas, I looked at amazon, and Dillon Wallace has several books about the Labrador.  What is the title of the sequel to Lure of the Labrador, please?

In the "wild" thread he says he is going away to camp, so he may not be around for awhile.

This is what Wikipedia says "Wallace wrote a book about the trip called The Lure of the Labrador Wild (1905), it was his first book and a best-seller.[1] Hubbard's wife, Mina Hubbard, was upset with Wallace because she thought the book unfairly blamed her dead husband for the failed expedition, thus sullying her family name.[1] After Wallace announced plans to make a second expedition to the same area, Mina announced her own plans to do the same, at the same time.[1] "The great race of 1905" became a field day for the press.[1][2] The two parties left just days apart, Mina following her husbands original route closely while Wallace took a more difficult overland route.[1] Mina arrived first, with Wallace nearly 6 weeks behind.[1] Mina wrote a book about the trip A Woman’s Way Through Unknown Labrador, Wallace also wrote a book, The Long Labrador Trail (1907). Neither Mina, in her book, nor Wallace his book, mentioned the other's 1905 expedition.
The Lure of the Labrador Wild was a best seller, and The Long Labrador Trail did well too, and so Wallace began a new career as a professional writer.[1] He joined the staff of Outing magazine, which sent him on other expeditions around the world. Over the next 30 years he published 26 more books, fiction and non-fiction, and wrote many articles for Outing, National Sportsman, American Boy and other magazines.[1] His books included biographies, references, boys fiction, novels and travel accounts.
In 1913, Wallace mounted a third Labrador expedition with the primary purpose of installing a memorial tablet at Leonidas Hubbard's place of death. The story of the journey through unknown country, drafted in book form by Wallace but never published, was serialized in condensed form as "Labrador Lures Me Back" in the February, March and April 1929 issues of National Sportsman magazine.[3] The full story, edited by Rudy Mauro, was made available online in 2006 under its original title, Back to the Labrador Wilds.[3]"

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 18
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2012, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Echo is right. Sorry for the delay in replying.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2012, 2:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Echo, lots of good info.

--------------
 Post Number: 20
Drake Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2012, 9:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad I found this thread.  Am halfway through Death on the Barrens and find it an extraordinary read.  Thanks for the head's up.

Drake
 Post Number: 21
schlanky Search for posts by this member.
Lead singer, driver of the Winnebago

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2012, 3:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just finished Death on the Barrens after seeing it mentioned on this thread. Thanks to everyone who recommended it.

--------------
Looking out the window
The trees are getting closer, it seems
 Post Number: 22
Mountain Dog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 6:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Close Encounters on the Appalachian Trail
AWOL on the Appalachian Trail
Walkin on the Happy Side of Misery
Polar Dream
With God on the Hiking Trail

--------------
If you faint in the face of adversity then your strength is indeed small.
 Post Number: 23
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 11:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Desert by John C. Van Dyke
Desert Solitaire by Ed Abbey
The Man Who Walked Through Time by Colin Fletcher
The Desert Smells Like Rain by Gary Paul Nabhan
Hawks Nest by Gary Ferguson

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 24
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 11:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How to books:  The Complete Walker IV - Fletcher and Rawlins

The Backpacking Handbood and Advanced Backpacking
-
                          Townsend

Canoing in the Backcountry
- Kesselheim

Freedom of the Hills - The Mountaineers

Just Ride - Peterson

Outdoor Experiences:  Where the Waters Divide - Berger &  Smith

Walking Down the Wild
- Ferguson

AWOL on the Applacian Trail - mILLER

Travels in the Greater Yellowstone - Turner

Any of Townsends travel/hiking books i.e. Hiking the
                                     Yukon,  The Great Backpacking Adventure, High
                                      Summer

These, of course, are just a few.  There are many,many more.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 25
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 11:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Dec. 12 2012, 9:34 am)
How to books:  The Complete Walker IV - Fletcher and Rawlins

The Backpacking Handbood and Advanced Backpacking
-
                          Townsend

Canoing in the Backcountry
- Kesselheim

Freedom of the Hills - The Mountaineers

Just Ride - Peterson

Outdoor Experiences:  Where the Waters Divide - Berger &  Smith

Walking Down the Wild
- Ferguson

AWOL on the Applacian Trail - mILLER

Travels in the Greater Yellowstone - Turner

Any of Townsends travel/hiking books i.e. Hiking the
                                     Yukon,  The Great Backpacking Adventure, High
                                      Summer

These, of course, are just a few.  There are many,many more.

Hey! That's more than five!

I was tempted to list many more. But, I wanted to adhere to the original request.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 26
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 1:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Dec. 12 2012, 11:35 am)
Hey! That's more than five!

I never was good at higher levels of math.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 12:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

DD, I think that's Hawk's Rest. ??
hikerjer, I agree, anything by Townsend.

--------------
 Post Number: 28
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 1:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mtngrl @ Dec. 14 2012, 10:24 am)

Yes. You are correct. It was given to me by rangersven, I think.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 29
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2012, 1:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mtngrl @ Dec. 14 2012, 10:24 am)

Yes. You are correct. It was given to me by rangersven, I think.

You are correct, DD...!!!  Good memory, hikerrr...

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
28 replies since Jul. 08 2012, 1:51 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply 5 Favorites
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions