2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Blistered Kind of Love< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
tomas Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2012, 3:25 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A friend had recommended this book to me so I took her advice and read it late at night in scout camp after the kids were asleep.

I wasn't expecting to really like the book, but it drew me in. The authors were fairly inexperienced and didn't complete the trail as 'purist' would, but their story was compelling.

Surprisingly the parts that I found most interesting was the interaction between the couple. Every chapter alternated view points between the two and you got a rounded picture of what it is like to travel a long trail with your emotional partner.

So what did a solo hiker like me think about the book? In the end I find myself wishing that I had an emotional partner who I could share a long trail with as well. Somebody with whom I could both bicker and laugh through the trials and highs that a long trail cane bring.

So much for my tough guy image.  :;):

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2012, 3:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry.  I saw this on top of the page and imagined an entirely different book.  I'll go back to whatever it was I was doing.  :)

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2012, 3:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm amazed it took as long as it did for the first wise-ass comment.  :D

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 4
Arizona Search for posts by this member.
Valhalla, I am coming

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 23 2012, 5:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tomas @ Aug. 21 2012, 8:25 am)
A friend had recommended this book to me so I took her advice and read it late at night in scout camp after the kids were asleep.

I wasn't expecting to really like the book, but it drew me in. The authors were fairly inexperienced and didn't complete the trail as 'purist' would, but their story was compelling.

Surprisingly the parts that I found most interesting was the interaction between the couple. Every chapter alternated view points between the two and you got a rounded picture of what it is like to travel a long trail with your emotional partner.

So what did a solo hiker like me think about the book? In the end I find myself wishing that I had an emotional partner who I could share a long trail with as well. Somebody with whom I could both bicker and laugh through the trials and highs that a long trail cane bring.

So much for my tough guy image.  :;):

This is another book I found in our local library system. It is a good read for the reasons you list. I liked their individual experiences over the same trip. The humor was not too over the top when it appeared.

I guess I'm lucky. I have a competent girlfriend who insists on going on any backcountry trip and she revels in them. She never complains no matter what. So those soul mate, companionable females are out there.
 Post Number: 5
bionicearhiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 27 2012, 3:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While overall I did like the book, the dude is a bit of a D-BAG. I smiled when he tried to eat the prickly pears. Freaking idiot.
 Post Number: 6
Arizona Search for posts by this member.
Valhalla, I am coming

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 27 2012, 5:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bionicearhiker @ Aug. 27 2012, 8:53 am)
While overall I did like the book, the dude is a bit of a D-BAG. I smiled when he tried to eat the prickly pears. Freaking idiot.

Are you talking about The Cactus Eaters?

THAT guy was a total dirtbag imo and the book was not a pleasure to read. He was not funny. I felt sorry for his girlfriend.
 Post Number: 7
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 27 2012, 7:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Arizona @ Aug. 27 2012, 3:36 pm)

(bionicearhiker @ Aug. 27 2012, 8:53 am)

Are you talking about The Cactus Eaters?

THAT guy was a total dirtbag imo and the book was not a pleasure to read. He was not funny. I felt sorry for his girlfriend.

Sounds like the "Cactus Eater" to me as well. The guy was a bozo and blamed his girlfriend for his stupid mistakes.

"A Blistered Kind of Love" was very enjoyable. I recommend it  :)

Don't waste your time on the "Cactus Eater."

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 8
bionicearhiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 27 2012, 7:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes Yes Yes...my bad...very similar plot lines. I read too much...is that possible?
 Post Number: 9
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 01 2012, 2:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bionicearhiker @ Aug. 27 2012, 4:50 pm)
Yes Yes Yes...my bad...very similar plot lines. I read too much...is that possible?

No.

Thus spake the librarian :)

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
8 replies since Aug. 21 2012, 3:25 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Blistered Kind of Love
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions