2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Suggestions for left-handed knot tying< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Cyn1171 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2012, 9:45 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does anyone have any knot-tying resources (book, video, or website) that have really clear pictures/instructions for left-handed folks?

Thanks!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 11:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm a lefty and I've always tied knots the "normal" way.  Most knots require  motions with each hand and I haven't noticed much difference in the dexterity required between them, so I don't feel like handedness is a big factor in tying knots.
 Post Number: 3
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 1:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm with BigLoad.  I just tie knots the way the righties do.  

Now, knitting and crochet--yeah, that needs to be done in reverse.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 2:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I should probably mention that when reading about knots, I only pay attention to where the line goes next.  I don't really know if I'm doing the same thing with my hands as a right-handed person, but I get the same result.
 Post Number: 5
Cyn1171 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 10:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have been trying that with little success.  Something's just not clicking for me.  It's particularly frustrating for me because I have forced myself to learn how to do many things right-handed but this is just eluding me.  

lol I'm almost 41yrs old and my mother still gets a chuckle out of the fact that according to her I tie my shoes "backwards".
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 11:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't suppose any amount of practice will undo a lifetime of shoe-tying habit.  :laugh:   I think I tie my shoes backwards, too, but not my tie.  The difference is probably that I was a couple years older when I learned the latter.
 Post Number: 7
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 11:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On reflection, most of the knots I know I learned from a live human, not a book. Maybe I could get a book and see how it works for me and if I can offer any tips.

By tying the shoe backwards does she mean you hold a loop in the right hand and wrap with the left?

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 8:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not sure this place would have anything on knot tying but as a left handed teacher I use it,

http://www.anythinglefthanded.co.uk/teacher....L4.dpbs

and I have a real advantage on some things, when facing right handed students, instead of seeing how I see the knots, or scissor or pencil grip, they see how they should see it, so maybe facing a right hand teacher and having them walk you through it would be all you need.

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 9
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 20 2012, 8:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm also a lefty and have always done things the "regular" way as well. But I can't say that it doesn't pose any challenges because it's the only way I've ever done it, for all I know it's much more difficult to do lefty but I have no other experience to compare it to.

For years and years I wondered what the big deal is with left-handed scissors, just a gimmick I thought. Until I finally tried some. So you never know.

What if you took the still images that explain knot-tying steps, pulled them into a photo editor and created a mirror image reverse of them?

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
8 replies since Sep. 17 2012, 9:45 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Suggestions for left-handed knot tying
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions