2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: WILD by Cheryl Strayed, Story of woman who hikes the PCT< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
DeadAntNo2 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 4:09 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cheryl strayed really keeps one's interest.  The book is about her experience hiking the pacific crest trail.  Most interesting episode in book...she camps near some mud in the desert and wakes up covered in frogs!  Ok.  She did some things, like drugs that made me ask WHY?....
But for someone who had such a tough younger life, she turned out ok, and the PCT is what took her to womanhood.  So say what you want about her... but I consider her a kindred spirit and this book will REMAIN on my shelf indefinitely.....
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 4:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It isn't about backpacking so much as it is about her surviving this strange experience she has with some backpacking gear. Backpacking is the setting and the book is about her.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 3
STICK Search for posts by this member.
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 1:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mine has remained on my shelf too...but I will admit, this is because I have yet to finish it...  :)

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 6:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you do a search, there's another, long, thread, about this book.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 5
BaseballNut Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 1:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So far I am disappointed. She seems overly overwhelmed by her mothers death to the point where she starts sleeping around and using heroin (actually shooting it), gets divorced. She is going on this hike to clear things up and has 12 condoms packed and ready. Really -who takes 12 condoms hiking?
 Post Number: 6
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 5:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Someone who is planning to hike more than 11 days??

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 7
Blazer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2014, 12:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ Nov. 09 2012, 4:14 pm)
It isn't about backpacking so much as it is about her surviving this strange experience she has with some backpacking gear. Backpacking is the setting and the book is about her.

Which is why I keep passing on reading it. I want to read a book about a thru hike, not the emotional trials and tribulations of someone who can't deal with a parent's death, a failed relationship and has a love affair with the needle and promiscuity. Everyone raves about this book but it's not my thing to read a soap opera on the PCT or any other trail.

Best book I've read with female hikers are the books by the Barefoot Sisters and their thru hikes on the Appalachian Trail.

--------------
"And now it's your chance to move on
Change the way you've lived for so long
And find the strength you've had inside all along
'Cause life starts now" - Three Days Grace
 Post Number: 8
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2014, 6:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I get frustrated with people who won't take advice that will help them, like all the advice she got about lightening her pack and better boots.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 9
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2014, 12:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The most overrated book I have ever read!  Absolute crap!

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
 Post Number: 10
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2014, 4:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's the other thread:
http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....hl=wild

I didn't care for the book, either. Cheryl was just too weird. I would rather have read more about her experiences while on her trip, not read about all her personal stuff.

I must say, I will probably go see the movie. Maybe so I can laugh or whatever. I didn't like the book "Into the Wild," either, but saw the movie. It was good for amusement.

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 11
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2014, 10:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That book is excruciating. No plans to see the movie.

As someone who works with the mentally ill, I refuse to spend any of my leisure time on that subject.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 12
SWest Search for posts by this member.
No And Then!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2014, 10:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've hiked a significant amount of the PCT over the last 10 years. And that whole time I've been reading trail journals.com and chosen one or two hikers to follow throughout their hike.

Guess what I realized about this book? It works if you pace yourself just like you had to when she was hiking the trail. (It used to be that the hikers would post to their journals every week or so when they got to town....now they post pretty regularly from their phones)

So I'm about 3/4 of the way through, and 3 months in, lol. I tried to read it like a normal book in the beginning and you just get lost in her head (a la Eat. Pray. Love.) The book was tedious that way but guess what? That whole trail is tedious...and wonderful...and beautiful...and redemptive.

I can't wait to see the movie because I want to see my trail!

--------------
The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Frost
 Post Number: 13
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2014, 5:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just watched the movie trailer for Wild. It stars Reese Witherspoon as Cheryl. The locations look good and the quality looks good.

It comes out in December. I'll go see it.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 14
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2014, 12:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rangersven @ Jul. 09 2014, 12:05 am)
The most overrated book I have ever read!  Absolute crap!

RS

+1.  Just couldn't get through all the self pity and B.S.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 15
MelissaSkelton91 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2014, 10:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I absolutely loved that book. Once I started reading it, I never put it down. That book really jerked my emotions.

--------------
Melissa Skelton
14 replies since Nov. 09 2012, 4:09 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply WILD by Cheryl Strayed
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions