2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: WILD by Cheryl Strayed, Story of woman who hikes the PCT< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
DeadAntNo2 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 4:09 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cheryl strayed really keeps one's interest.  The book is about her experience hiking the pacific crest trail.  Most interesting episode in book...she camps near some mud in the desert and wakes up covered in frogs!  Ok.  She did some things, like drugs that made me ask WHY?....
But for someone who had such a tough younger life, she turned out ok, and the PCT is what took her to womanhood.  So say what you want about her... but I consider her a kindred spirit and this book will REMAIN on my shelf indefinitely.....
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 4:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It isn't about backpacking so much as it is about her surviving this strange experience she has with some backpacking gear. Backpacking is the setting and the book is about her.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 3
STICK Search for posts by this member.
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 1:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mine has remained on my shelf too...but I will admit, this is because I have yet to finish it...  :)

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 6:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you do a search, there's another, long, thread, about this book.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 5
BaseballNut Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 1:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So far I am disappointed. She seems overly overwhelmed by her mothers death to the point where she starts sleeping around and using heroin (actually shooting it), gets divorced. She is going on this hike to clear things up and has 12 condoms packed and ready. Really -who takes 12 condoms hiking?
 Post Number: 6
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 5:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Someone who is planning to hike more than 11 days??

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
5 replies since Nov. 09 2012, 4:09 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply WILD by Cheryl Strayed
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions