2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Just finished 'The Ultimate Hiker's Gear Guide', By Andrew Skurka< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Thatbakerkid Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 12:53 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Got this book as a gift from my mother in law this week. Wrote a quick review HERE.

Great book for folks looking to start buying, or unsure about buying, gear!

--------------
No matter how beautiful the strategy, one should occasionally look at the results.
My Blog about travel, backpacking and the universe.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 7:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I enjoyed this book.  While I don't subscribe to all of Skurka's ideas, it's certainly food for thought and worth reading for anyone interested in backpacking.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 7:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I appreciated his thesis. He sets out to educate people to make informed decisions and always puts up a flag when he states an opinion.

As I said in my review; I'm always leery of gear guides. I think Skurka is really successful in his stated goal however of teaching people to look past the gear itself to their personal objectives and the construction and capabilities of TYPES of gear.

If I were looking to get into backpacking for the first time, it would be a good modern look at gear styles and construction.

--------------
No matter how beautiful the strategy, one should occasionally look at the results.
 Post Number: 4
AndrewSkurka Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2012, 10:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ash -

Thanks for the book review, and for posting it here.

Your assessment is exactly how I wanted readers to respond to the book. Admittedly, the title is misleading, as it shares little in common with the "gear guides" produced by Backpacker et al each year. (Sadly I didn't have final say over the title.) Really, the book contains a framework for identifying the "best" gear, supplies, and skills needed for a trip.

What determines the "best"? Two factors:
1- Trip objectives, specifically how much hiking versus how much camping or other static activities one plans to do.
2- Environmental and route conditions, like temperatures, precip, sun exposure, water availability, insects, etc.

I was quite clear that the opinions in the book are written from the perspective of a backpacker who loves to hike. Thus, there is a strong emphasis on packing light and moving efficiently. My style is definitely not for everyone, but I've received a lot of really positive feedback even from backpackers who seek more of a hiking/camping balance -- they say the book helped them to enjoy hiking more, instead of it being "work" or some arduous chore they must do between campsites.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2012, 12:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Andrew,

Thanks for the book! I'm actually planning on re-gifting it to a friend who has recently decided to do some backpacking with his wife (his first trip was with me in March of this year). I think it will help him quite a bit with dropping items he might otherwise bring 'just in case' when he's out and about next year (winter being in full swing in Ontario).

Again, good read. Wish I had the time for thru hiking!

--------------
 Post Number: 6
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2012, 2:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I actually gave this book to my son last fall for his birthday.  He  really enjoyed it and has adopted a lot of your suggestions.  But then, he's young and much more into distance and marathon hikes than an old guy like me who likes his comforts more and more.  Like I said though, a good read for everyone regardless of their hiking style. You're bond to learn something of use.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
5 replies since Dec. 29 2012, 12:53 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Just finished 'The Ultimate Hiker's Gear Guide'
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions