2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Arctic Crossing: One Man’s 2000 Mile Odyssey Among, by Jonathan Waterman< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
tomas Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 4:01 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I first picked up Arctic Crossing: One Man’s 2000 Mile Odyssey Among the Inuit by Jonathan Waterman while doing research for a bucket list trip. Over the course of three summers Waterman kayaked, skied, and dogsledded along the Northwest Passage coast. While the book provides an interesting overview of the land and animals encountered during his trip, the bulk of the observations are about his interactions with the Inuit.

He reminds the reader several times that he suffered from the same illusion that many have about the Inuit and how they maintain their traditional way of life (ie hunting seals with spears). The reality, however, was a shock to his system. The Inuit struggle to determine how much of their traditional way of life and culture is to be maintained and how much “civilized” influences need to be incorporated. He observes how in hunting camps the Inuit display a proud identity, yet town life grinds them down to the point where the hopelessness matches that of inner-city life in a metropolis. There is a fair amount of pontification against Canadian policies towards the Inuit and at times his dwelling on the subject was tiring. On the flip side, he also is both amused and disgusted with modern Inuit life.

Overall this is an interesting book if you are interested in one man’s observations of modern Inuit life and how the appearance of the Northwest Passage coast.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 12:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

tomas, glad to read your review.  I have this book on my list, but I'm not sure I'll read it after reading how much is about the Inuit and Canadian political views.  I'll keep it on my list and see later, if I'll read it.

tomas, have you seen the movie "The Red Tent"?  I just saw it (again) yesterday, and it is one of my favorites.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2013, 10:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The one with Sean Connery? Yep, I got it from Netflix a year or so ago and watched it. Hadn't seen it from when I was a teenager and really liked it. Obviously it took liberties with the entire event, but the court of honor concept was pretty darn cool. A definite must see for polar buffs.

--------------
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 1:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, that's the one.  Glad you've seen it.  Yes, interesting concept with the "court".

Now, about this author Jonathan Waterman (Arctic Odessy). I may realy have this wrong, but I think there was a guy by that name, who wrote for Backpacker Magazine in their early years.  He wrote a lot about the NE US.  He ended up commiting suicide and years ago I read a book about it. Do you know if this is the same guy?

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 10:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Huh, I did some quick internet scanning and found and interview with National Geographic from 2007. Nothing after that.

His Northwest Passage trip took place in the 1990s, so it is possible he is the guy you are thinking about.

--------------
 Post Number: 6
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 11:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just to clarify, there are two Jon/John Waterman's.  I read Jon's (the author's) book "In the Shadow of Denali" several years back, and he describes the other John (the climber) Waterman, who was a young but very prolific Alaskan climber that apparently committed suicide in 1981 after personal struggles by telling friends and family not to look for him, and headed out on a solo climb up a face of Denali, and was never seen again.  There are rumors that he might have just "disappeared" intentionally, is still alive, etc etc, but no one really knew.  He just disappeared, probably swallowed by the mountain... whether his disappearance was intentional is a matter of conjecture.  (This is from my recollection of the book... some details might be off but that's the gist of it.)

The two guys can easily be confused, since they frequently were in the same circles but never actually met each other.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 2:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK, I have it wrong.  It is Guy Waterman I'm thinking of.  I believe he died on a mountaintop in the Northeast.  It was suicide.  His wife, Laura Waterman, wrote a  book titiled "Losing the Garden", about how she accepted the fact that he was going to commit sucide.  a curious book.  As I remember, he wrote often for Backpacker Magazine in the early days.  My mistake.

Thanks for the info, GoBlue, and just a note, I get such a kick out of your Barbara, so glad you two got together.

--------------
6 replies since Jan. 15 2013, 4:01 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Arctic Crossing: One Man’s 2000 Mile Odyssey Among
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions