2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Trekkerman, Book reactions< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Rics Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2013, 10:58 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd sure like to get some reactions, both positive and negative to this:
www.trekkerman.com
Thanks,
Rics

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2013, 2:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm always suspicious when someone lists "the best" of anything.  Pretty subjective term, IMO.   Still, it looks interesting and I always like that sort of book to dream if for no other reason.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2013, 4:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hikerjer: I think you'd particularly enjoy the chapter in  the Wind Rivers. Thanks for your interest.
Rics

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
 Post Number: 4
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 12:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Interesting.  I'm particularly interested in the part with Scotland's West Highland Way.  Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 5
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 10:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK, just ordered this, and Mostly True Stories ...., from amazon.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 6
strider Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 8:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Let me start by saying hello all, this is my first post on the forum. I'm a 50 year old weekend hiker/camper in Upstate NY.

Trekkerman was recommended to me by a friend who was sick of hearing me lament about turning 50 and feeling like I am slowing down. Trekkerman was described as a book about a guy who completed some seriously epic treks all after the age of 60. Looked interesting... I started it and was captivated immediately. I am one of those people who underline poignant ideas and statements when I read and I basically underlined the whole first chapter! It really spoke to me and made me realize that 50 is fine and it ain't over yet. I've decided to look into one of the Nepal treks for sometime next year. I'm in good shape, am an experienced day hiker and multi day backpacker (but not a "trekker") and can afford it so what the hell! Thanks Trekkerman for the great read and the inspiration!

--------------
I haven't got any special religion this morning. My God is the God of Walkers. If you walk hard enough, you probably don't need any other god.
~ Bruce Chatwin
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Strider: I've sent you a reply to your e-mail. Glad you enjoyed the book. I can't believe I missed out on Bruce Chatwin's "Personal God" quote. I would have used it in a minute. Kind of a coinicdence that his quote is your personal signature and I referenced him repeatedly.
Keep on trekkin'
Rics

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
 Post Number: 8
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2013, 12:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I read it.  Seemed to be not much backpacking per se - most nights spent in inns and hostels rather than in a tent.  I have yet to hike it, and you can call me provincial, but the JMT seems like a pretty big omission.

Still, it was a good read.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 8:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

reubenstump: Thanks for the positive comment on my Trekkerman. ADmittedly any list of "The world's Best Trails" is a subjective one. If I had done the JMT I would have included it.
Thanks again.
Rics
www.trekkerman.com

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
 Post Number: 10
2Dogs1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 2:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Its good easy, entertaining reading
9 replies since Jan. 25 2013, 10:58 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Trekkerman
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions