2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: A Blistered Kind of Love (One Couples Trial by Tra, by Angela & Duffy Ballard< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
STICK Search for posts by this member.
~Stick~

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 11:15 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just wanted to give a shout out for the book "A Blistered Kind of Love: One Couples Trial by Trail" by Angela & Duffy Ballard. I am only about 2/3rds the way through it so far, but it has been a great book so far! It is out of the norm for me since most of my reading involves the AT, but this one is about the PCT. It has a nice mixture of trail talk, town talk, a little gear talk, a little history and a few colorful characters. Not to mention, a couple coming to learn about each other. All-in-all, it is an easy read that just seems to flow from page to page (at least for me).

I am excited to get to the end, but at the same time, I know that once I get there, the book will be over...

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2013, 6:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My Mom recommended this to me, but I can't get it from our library.  I'm going to either have to remember to borrow it and read it the next time we are visiting her, or else (gasp!) actually buy the book.  I only fear our house may collapse under the weight of books, so I hope it's at least available as an ebook.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 3
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2013, 6:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rebecca, it is available as a Kindle book. and for $9.99 last time I looked. My wife got the book book for me for Christmas... along with my first Kindle (she bought the Kindle after she bought the book...) I am also trying to get books on Kindle now... but I gotta admit, it ain't the same... But carrying the Kindle on a hike sure beats the weight of carrying the books!  :)

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
 Post Number: 4
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 2:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Stick, I have a Nook, so probably could get it that way.  Should stop being so cheap :)

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 5
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 12:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm just startign to read this book.  Glad to hear a second good review of it.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 6
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 5:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

stick. I agree about the kindle. I was doubtfull about ever getting a kindle, for myself or my daughter, who loves to read. My friend had one and recently upgraded to the kindle fire, so he gave me the kindle.  I did not like the idea of taking a book out of my hands or my 10 year old daughters hands. The kindle solves the problem of hundreds of books stacked all over my house...when I say hundreds..I might be short changing it. I have boxes in the basement, and boxes in the attic.  So, it solves that problem. It also is great for me when commuting to work now, I can have an entire library in my pack...and also I am looking forward to bringing it when I go camping. ALSO...geeze, no more waiting a week for my book to arrive. I just click it on Amazon..and its on the kindle within 10 seconds..I LOVE THAT.

Well, just ranting about the kindle. This book that you are reading is actually on my wish list..Thanks.

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 7
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 4:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just finished this book.  A fun read, once I got past the usual trail history, and packing chapters.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 8
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2013, 6:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mtngrl @ Feb. 21 2013, 3:15 pm)
Just finished this book.  A fun read, once I got past the usual trail history, and packing chapters.

Yeah, I have come to find that most trail books start that way...

All-in-all though, I really enjoyed this book. I think it was because it was my first PCT book...

Sure does make me want to get out there and see the PCT............

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
 Post Number: 9
Trinity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 25 2013, 4:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just finished this book (on my Nook), based on the recommendations here.  Gotta say, I loved it.  Great balance of trail experiences, relationship struggles, nature, social commentary, etc.  I expected the dual perspective writing to be kind of gimmicky, but it really worked, mainly because they are both very good writers (Angela is quite a bit better, IMHO).  As someone who loves to backpack with my wife, I thought the observations about gender differences were actually pretty insightful.  Thanks for the recommendation.
 Post Number: 10
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 25 2013, 7:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just started it, as Woodsie very kindly sent it along with the other one.  I'll pass it on to anyone interested when I finish.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 11
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 25 2013, 8:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It was OK.   That's about it, IMO.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 12
SWest Search for posts by this member.
No And Then!

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 25 2013, 9:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just remember that I though Angela was a bit whiney and that I couldn't relate to her. But I read it more than 10 years ago, so take it for what it is.

--------------
The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Frost
 Post Number: 13
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 30 2013, 12:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SWest @ Aug. 25 2013, 6:29 pm)
I just remember that I though Angela was a bit whiney and that I couldn't relate to her. But I read it more than 10 years ago, so take it for what it is.

They're both a bit whiney.  But they maybe have the right.  Totally bit off more than they could chew, and managed to mostly chew it anyway.  I enjoyed the book, and envied them their youthful bodies that could take the abuse.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 14
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 30 2013, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Aug. 25 2013, 7:33 pm)

That was my experience as well. I read and enjoyed about the first 50-60% of the book, but the format became a little repetitious and tedious for me after that. I did a lot of skimming after that and then read the last part.

Which, ironically enough, is approximately how I have always imagined doing a trail like the PCT would be--a little tedious and almost a drudgery, even, once the novelty had worn off and the relative sameness of every day sets in.

I love BPing more than just about anything else, but that's probably partly because I am only able to spend a modest number of days each year doing it--it's always fresh to me.
 Post Number: 15
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 30 2013, 6:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Aug. 30 2013, 9:20 am)

(hikerjer @ Aug. 25 2013, 7:33 pm)

That was my experience as well. I read and enjoyed about the first 50-60% of the book, but the format became a little repetitious and tedious for me after that. I did a lot of skimming after that and then read the last part.

Which, ironically enough, is approximately how I have always imagined doing a trail like the PCT would be--a little tedious and almost a drudgery, even, once the novelty had worn off and the relative sameness of every day sets in.

I love BPing more than just about anything else, but that's probably partly because I am only able to spend a modest number of days each year doing it--it's always fresh to me.

That would also be true in part because the middle of the PCT is frankly less spectacular.  I really can't see myself doing the non-scenic parts.  The Sierra, the North Cascades, great.  The clearcuts south of Snoqualmie and the long, dry stretches in N. CA and Oregon, not so much.  Al the books get a bit thin there.  Of course, in addition to there being less to look at, the kinks and hitches are more worked out, and I suspect that the hike is, as you say, a lot of sameness.  From a writer's perspective, the trail is problematic :)

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 16
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 02 2013, 12:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I posted my discussion of this book and I Promise Not to Suffer on my blog this morning.  I thought both books had interest and flaws.  
http://www.ninjalibrarian.com/2013....ws.html

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 17
Trinity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 02 2013, 2:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great post.  Thanks.
16 replies since Feb. 02 2013, 11:15 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply A Blistered Kind of Love (One Couples Trial by Tra
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions