2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Finding Farley< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 1:50 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I recently saw Finding Farley, recommended by rangersven.  I really enjoy it.  It shows Karsten Heuer (of Being Caribou), his wife, kid and dog, paddling, driving, riding a train and sailing across Canada from Canmore to Farley Mowat’s home on Canada’s eastern shore.  They followed the areas where some of his books are based.  Amazing that they did with their kid (maybe 3 years old?) and their dog.  I was surprised to learn of the controversy about Mowat’s writings, but I, too, would recommend this.  Thanks for the suggestion, rangersven!

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 6:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What is the controversy regarding Mowat's writing?

Other than being a thorn in the butt of Canadian government and Canadian native haters I thought he was revered in the north country??

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 3
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 6:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some say it is fiction...

Glad you liked it, MG...

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
 Post Number: 4
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 12:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Feb. 20 2013, 6:44 pm)

Other than being a thorn in the butt of Canadian government and Canadian native haters I thought he was revered in the north country??

He has admittedly published significant falsehoods or at least withheld critical information. Some people suspect more than what he has admitted.

I need to go back and check, but I believe it was in "No Man's River" where he disclosed some of the uglier facts about the child sexual abuse that drove the real story in some of his earlier works. He completely omitted it that earlier writing despite knowing how central it was to those events and despite having direct personal awareness of it.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 12:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Feb. 21 2013, 12:36 pm)

He has admittedly published significant falsehoods or at least withheld critical information. Some people suspect more than what he has admitted.

I need to go back and check, but I believe it was in "No Man's River" where he disclosed some of the uglier facts about the child sexual abuse that drove the real story in some of his earlier works. He completely omitted it that earlier writing despite knowing how central it was to those events and despite having direct personal awareness of it.

The new revelations might be in "Walking on the Land".  I'll check when I get home tonight.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 4:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In Finding Farley, if I remember correctly, there was something about how he portrayed the natives, and turns out they were never starving, or something like that .........heck, maybe nothing like that.  In the film they showed a Canadian magazine that had a story about Mowat's falsings.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 12:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Feb. 21 2013, 12:53 pm)
The new revelations might be in "Walking on the Land".  I'll check when I get home tonight.

Yes, that's where he covers it.
 Post Number: 8
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 5:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For your viewing pleasure...!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsJ3w7hUfLs

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
 Post Number: 9
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 9:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

His book Never Cry Wolf caused a stir and from what I understand is still controversial.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 10
canadianrockiesgirl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 10:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What I learned in a Canadian North history class just last semester was that People of the Deer in particular, was highly fabricated and written with little to no supporting evidence.  The House of Commons went so far as to call him a liar (though that is coming from politicians...).  He did later did claim that any corroborating evidence for his writing of the book was 'withheld' by the government, the Mounties and missionaries aka it was a conspiracy... ???
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 11:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(canadianrockiesgirl @ Feb. 22 2013, 10:59 pm)
What I learned in a Canadian North history class just last semester was that People of the Deer in particular, was highly fabricated and written with little to no supporting evidence.  The House of Commons went so far as to call him a liar (though that is coming from politicians...).  He did later did claim that any corroborating evidence for his writing of the book was 'withheld' by the government, the Mounties and missionaries aka it was a conspiracy... ???

I strongly suggest reading at least the introduction to "Walking on the Land" to see what went awry with "People of the Deer".    He admitted there that problems stemmed not from anything withheld by the government, but what he withheld himself in the fear that revealing the whole truth would hurt those who most needed help.  Removing such an important fact from the story led him replace them with fabrications that would be somehow equivalent enough to be plausible causes for the more unfortunate actual events (at least that's how it appears).
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 11:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's also worth noting that the attitude of the Canadian government toward aboriginal peoples was far different at the time "People of the Deer" was written (1952) than it is now.  It's not surprising that they would come after anyone who advocated so strongly for a change in direction.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 2:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm going to get people of the deer (hopefully the library has it), and read the introduction.  Thanks big_load.

I have not read any of Mowat's books, I've  only watched Never Cry Wolf and Finding Farley.  I'll get 'round to reading them at some point.  All this controversy does make me wonder at the interest in, or admiration of, that the Karsten's had for him, and it shows in the move Finding Farley his disappointment, or confusion, at this controversy.  I don't think they had heard anything about it.

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 2:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Duh, make that the Heuers.

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 7:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mtngrl @ Feb. 27 2013, 2:26 pm)
I'll get 'round to reading them at some point.  All this controversy does make me wonder at the interest in, or admiration of, that the Karsten's had for him, and it shows in the move Finding Farley his disappointment, or confusion, at this controversy.  I don't think they had heard anything about it.

Controversy aside, he's an excellent writer.  Even if some things need to be taken with a grain of salt, he's definitely worth reading.  I have most of his books.  If you want something depressing and pretty unquestionably true, try "Sea of Slaughter", about the impact of man on ocean-dwelling species.  

Craig Childs is sort of in the same boat, although the places where he stretches the truth could be more benign.  Edward Abbey is another guy whose popularity hasn't suffer much for his use of artistic license.
 Post Number: 16
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Aha, so it was the native haters who did not want Mowat to get credit for his revelations about the treatment of natives and the effect of calculated government policies.

Not surprised, but still disapointed.  I have read most of his books, and find them insightful, cogent and highly humanistic.  Just the kind of thing I like.

Going to order Walking on the Land tomorrow.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 4:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the info b -l, I have Walking the Land from the library and read the intro, and it does do a bit of explaining.  Now, after reading the intro, I plan on reading the whole book.  Looks interesting.

Ah, so many books, such a slow reader!

--------------
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 12:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just finished Walking the Land.  I found it a good book, and Mowat's writing flows smoothly.  Wonder why the caribou (deer) just sort of disappeared?  Sad story.  I will read more of his books, but I don't think any that have to do with mistreatment of the Inuit.  So sad.

Thanks for the suggestion big_l.

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 1:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mtngrl @ Mar. 14 2013, 12:38 pm)
I just finished Walking the Land.  I found it a good book, and Mowat's writing flows smoothly.  Wonder why the caribou (deer) just sort of disappeared?  Sad story.  I will read more of his books, but I don't think any that have to do with mistreatment of the Inuit.  So sad.

Thanks for the suggestion big_l.

If you want something really depressing, try "Sea of Slaughter".
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 10:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

No, no, not into depressing.  After seeing what little Finding Farley had to say about that, I knew then I was not going to read anything about that.  But, thanks for the heads up on that.

--------------
19 replies since Feb. 11 2013, 1:50 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Finding Farley
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions