2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Deep Survival, Exceptional book, excellent writing< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2013, 1:26 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is a book that should be read by everyone venturing into the wilderness, and by those pursuing other dangerous sports and activities.  

Great for the analysis of past accidents, the survey and explanantion of neuro science advances and of basic psychology.  Lots of information new to me about how and why the brain works, and how the body often controls the brain.

Don't miss it.  

Well written, given how dense the subject matter is.  Not a fast read, but well worth the time to concentrate and digest, IMO.

Deep Survival by Laurence Gonzales.

Here is quote from the blurb:  "In Deep Survival Laurence Gonzales combines hard science and powerful storytelling to illuminate the mysteries of survival, whether in the wilderness or in meeting any of life's great challenges."

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2013, 3:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds interesting and worthwhile  I'll add it to my list.

Thanks.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 1:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I posted a review on this one a long time back.  It's definitely worth reading.
 Post Number: 4
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 9:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is a good book. He's got a new one out called Surviving Survival that I'm on the waitlist from the library.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 5
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 10:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I liked the survival stories in this book, but got bored by the in-depth techinical/scientific explanations of the body, etc.  I don't mind a quick explanation, but this just got too deep for me.  I was reading it for the stories.

However, I was not so disappointed in Deep Survival, that I won't check out Surviving Survival.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 6
karstrip Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2013, 5:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

awesome , thanks for the recommendation, will definitely be putting it on my to read list next.
 Post Number: 7
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2013, 11:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You guys who are interested in this book, may be interested in the book, Lost Person Behavior: a search and rescue guice on where to look - for land, air and water by Robert J. Koester.  I haven't read it, but it has peaked my interest.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2013, 11:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, sounds like a good follow up to Deep Survival.

See how his rules of survival apply in some more life threatening situations, and see the problems from the rescuer point of view, as opposed to the adventurer, lost person, or danger junkie.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 9
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 10:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Mar. 22 2013, 11:52 pm)
Thanks, sounds like a good follow up to Deep Survival.

See how his rules of survival apply in some more life threatening situations, and see the problems from the rescuer point of view, as opposed to the adventurer, lost person, or danger junkie.

He doesn't say much about rules.  It's more about what personal characteristics affect survival, as explored through a handful of case studies.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 7:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hmm, well, maybe you don't call them rules, but that is what Gozales called them in his summary in the appendix, "The Rules of Adventure"

Perceive, believe, then act.

Avoid impulsive behavior, don't hurry.

Know your stuff.

Get the information.

Commune with the dead.

Be humble.

When in doubt, bail out.

Stay positive.

He also makes a list of things that survivors do, whatever you may want to call them, and he provides some psychological and neurological basis for why and how they work.

I agree with a lot that he has to say.

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
9 replies since Mar. 17 2013, 1:26 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Deep Survival
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions