2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Of Wolves and Men - Barry Lopez< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 28 2013, 11:59 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been a fan of Barry Lopez ever since I read Arctic Dreams a few years ago.  So, a couple of week ago when I saw his Of Wolves and Men at a garage sale, I dared risk a dollar and picked it up.  Great read.  In it, Lopez writes a little about wolves themselves but devotes the vast majority of the book to analyzing the historical relationship man has with wolves throughout and trying to figure out why civilization (with the exception of Native American culture) has generally always feared and hated them.  And although he admits there are depredations on livestock and even a few cases of fatal attacks on humans, our attitudes have always been largely based on myth, irrational fear, ignorance and totally unfounded prejudice.  He further concludes that much the same attitudes exists among the anti-wolf segment of the population today in that they totally ignore the existing facts and refuse to accept any scientific evidence that might be contrary to their hatred of the wolf.  Interesting book for anyone interested the wolf controversy.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 28 2013, 6:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jer, I read this book for the first time in 1979. I couldn't put it down. This book catapulted me into a love of wolves, and eventually paved the way for me to spend a couple of years hanging out with a captive wolf pack in Tennessee (and raising a wolf cub for several months).

I met Barry Lopez in November 1986 (McKenzie Bridge, Oregon). A friend of mine was dating a friend of his, and we all spent that Thanksgiving with Barry and his wife Sandy. Lots of stories were shared, and of course I had him autograph my book  :)  

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: May 28 2013, 8:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Woodswoman @ May 28 2013, 6:36 pm)
I met Barry Lopez in November 1986

Cool.  I'd like to meet him.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 4
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: May 29 2013, 11:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Couldn't find it in Kindle format, but the library has it.

I'll pick it up tonight and see if I remember how to hold a real book

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: May 29 2013, 12:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(red dog @ May 29 2013, 11:12 am)
if I remember how to hold a real book

Really, red dog, it's not that hard. If you did it once, you can do it again.  Kind of like riding a bicycle. :D

--------------
 Post Number: 6
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 02 2013, 9:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Read and put it in the "okay" category.  If anyone wants a copy, feel free to hit me up and you can buy mine!  It's a book I'm more than willing to divest from the RS Library...

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
5 replies since May 28 2013, 11:59 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Of Wolves and Men - Barry Lopez
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions