2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: The Wolverine Way< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 31 2013, 6:43 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Incredible creatures.

"The most astonishing they observed, however, was when M3 left Montana in February, the height of winter.  To get to Waterton," I told the crowd, "M3 approached the base of Mount Cleveland [in Glacier National Park] and then started up the south face - 9,000 feet, 9,500 feet, 10,000 feet."

I forget which, but either M1 or M3 (male 1 or male 3) did this in 90 minutes.  Climbers have since tried to replicate the climb and failed, and 90 minutes for a human is apparently totally out of the question - more like hours when we eventually succeed.

I wouldn't give it the 5 stars which seems to be the norm at Amazon at this time, but it's a solid 4.  The problem I have with the book is that there's not as much about the animals as I'd like.  But the reasons for this are well documented in the book - they're elusive and largely solitary, with territory spanning hundreds of square miles - a trek from Montana to Canada and back is nothing unusual for the males.  They also possess a healthy dose of mean and ornery and aren't afraid to use it - they've chased grizzlies from a kill.  Quite impressive for an animal that weighs 20 pounds, maybe 30 pounds at the max.

Overdeveloped heart, lungs, and thyroid = very impressive creature.

How they rear their young is also noteworthy, as are their incredible teeth and the muscles which drive them.  They can crush large bones to reach the marrow, or simply crush and swallow the bone itself, especially in winter when food is scarce and earlier caches must be revisited.

All in all, well worth the read.

"Just kiss the wolverine on the lips and let it go."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 31 2013, 9:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the comments.  This book has been on my list for some time now.  Just haven gotten around to it yet.  A wolverine is one animal I have yet to see in the wild  - along with a fisher - that I would really be thrilled to encounter.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 3
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 02 2013, 9:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's a good book and has been mentioned here before.  Have you watched the Nature program on Wolverines?  If not, you can watch it online over at their site on PBS.

Chadwick does a good job with True Grizz if you're looking for another good read.  My only problem with Chadwick is he pushes that deal about wolverines driving grizzlies off of kills.  I highly doubt that is the norm and I'd like to see some data on that.

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
 Post Number: 4
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 02 2013, 1:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jer, after you read about how they attack the traps and bolt at the first person to raise the lid you may reconsider your wish to see one in the wild.  However, they don't seem to regard us as either predator or prey, only fools who try to trap, sedate, and track them.  "Just kiss the wolverine on the lips and let it go" is a bit of a sarcastic, "you go first" phrase.

Sven, it does seem improbable, or at least highly infrequent, but the small population and huge range make any reliable data hard to come by.  Even a few dominant male wolverines in their prime driving aging grizzlies from a kill would be interesting, however (but still not the norm).

I'll check out the PBS show.  Thanks.
 Post Number: 5
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 03 2013, 12:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Jun. 02 2013, 1:26 pm)
you may reconsider your wish to see one in the wild.  However, they don't seem to regard us as either predator or prey, only fools

I guess I would consider my view them the same way as seeing grizzlies in the wild - exciting when viewed from a very safe distance.    And I think you got that part about being fools right.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 6
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2014, 8:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for linking to this one Reuben, I'll put the book and "True Giz" in my amazon queue. Jer, I too would like to see a fisher in the wild, from a distance.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
5 replies since May 31 2013, 6:43 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply The Wolverine Way
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions