2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Dirt Work: An Education in the Woods< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2013, 2:29 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Greetings, verbivores...!!!

Dirt Works: An Education in the Woods, by Christine Byl, is an interesting read that takes readers through Byl's days as a "trail dog" as she works as a trail builder at several locations in Glacier Nat'l Park, up to Alaska as she transfers over to the Forest Service, and eventually back to the National Park Service at Denali.

What starts as a summer job leads to a decades-long job in the woods.  Byl's book details her education (both formal and informal) along the way and an incredible cast of colorful characters set in three wilderness locations.

Byl's introduction really sets the pace into a first-rate story and enjoyable read.  This book is a great addition to your wilderness reading section...

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2013, 10:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's a good interview of Byl.

http://www.kcur.org/post/trekking-trails

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
 Post Number: 3
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2013, 11:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like my kind of book!

On the list, looks like the library may have to order it from the big city.

Thank you, RS.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 4
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 08 2013, 1:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm reading this right now.  It is interesting, but I am having a hard time with the way she writes, it doesn't flow smoothly for me, and I have to go back and reread some of her sentences, as they don't make any sense to me.  But, I'm sticking with it for a while.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 11:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK, I'm getting into it.  If you like Dirt Work book, you may like A Mile in Her Boots: Women Who Work in the Wild by Jennifer Bove.  I really liked that book.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 1:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Enjoyed Dirt Works, but I would suggest reading the Traildog Statistics in the back of the book first.  I was familiar with the places she was and that sure made me homesick for Alaska.  Lots of fun characters and antics.

--------------
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 5:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.hcn.org/issues/45.14/tools-r-us

--------------
6 replies since Jun. 25 2013, 2:29 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Dirt Work: An Education in the Woods
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions