2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: I Promise Not to Suffer, You want it?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2013, 1:54 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I Promise Not to Suffer: A Fool For Love Hikes the Pacific Crest Trail [Gail Storey]

This is a true story about a couple who hike the PCT. It's an okay book, but not the most exciting hiking book I've ever read. The story is more about the couple's relationship than anything. What was interesting is that the author wasn't an outdoors tye of woman, but she didn't want her husband to hike the PCT by himself. She eventually came to love the hiking.

If you want to read this book, shoot me a PM and I will send it to you.

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2013, 3:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rebecca pm'd and wants the book, so it is spoken for  :)

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 3
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2013, 5:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But if anyone else wants it, I'll pass it on when I finish.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
bionicearhiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2013, 11:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Seem to be lots of "couple hike the PCT" books. I liked the Cactus Eaters.
 Post Number: 5
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 25 2013, 12:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I finished I Promise Not to Suffer so if anyone else wants it, speak up. I enjoyed it, though as Woodsie says it's less about the Trail than about the relationship, and the author's personal growth. She writes well, though. I particularly liked a spot where she was talking about a retreat at a Buddhist monastery: "Like me, everyone. . . Seemed hell-bent on finding peace."

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 6
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 26 2013, 10:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll give it a try. I liked Blistered Kind of Love, so I'm interested in comparing the two.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 7
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 26 2013, 11:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great.  PM me your address, Tomas, and I'll send it along!  I've started A Blistered Kind of Love with the intention of comparing them, or at least reviewing them in tandem.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2014, 9:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So after sitting on my bedside table for months I finally got around to reading I Promise Not to Suffer. Sadly what the author didn't promise is that the reader wouldn't suffer while listening to her incessant whining.

A lot of people on this board did not like Wild partly due to the author's personality coming out and rubbing people wrong. I liked Wild in part of her personality and found the author of Promise Not to Suffer to be annoying. She spends time talking about her dislike of her husband's first wife, the good times she had in the 60s, the search for spirituality, and finally how hard the PCT can be. By the end her shallow personality is front and center.

The book is about the joint hike with her husband on the PCT. Unlike Blistered Kind of Love where both husband and wife contributed to the story with alternating chapters, Promise is her perspective with a handful of concise journal entries from her husband. From the very beginning she comes off as a hanger-on as her husband does the bulk of trip preparation and her role devolves from there.

Frankly, if you like the sound of chalk squeaking on a blackboard this is a book for you.

Having said all that, I'll happily pass this one on to the next reader. Just PM me your address and it'll be in the mail.

--------------
 Post Number: 9
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2014, 1:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So that's one yay, one nay, and one mostly neutral review.  It's funny, I thought just from the title that she might be sort of a whiner, but I'll give it a try and then pass it on.  I'll shoot you a PM. Thanks.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2014, 2:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The books is yours and on the way. You should have it by friday.

I sincerely hope you enjoy it more than I did.

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2014, 2:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I largely agree with tomas.  This woman is insufferable.  She is insecure, whiny, narcissistic, and self-centered.  She doesn't enjoy hiking, or even being outside, but decides to tag along on her husband's PCT hike mostly because she's been jealous of having to share a portion of his attention with his son and career.  "Finally, a chance to have him all to myself." Also, she can't bear the idea that he might be content/happy for six whole months without her constant presence.  She meets another middle aged woman who confides her motivation for hiking is to lose 50 lbs.  She responds that they "have so much in common because I'd like to lose 5!"  Somehow, the heavier woman manages to not punch her in the throat. Her continual psychoanalysis of everyone and everything, on every single page, quickly became tedious for me. Frustration at losing her balance in the snow becomes an lengthy analogy of "layers of her anger, deep as the snow."  Sitting down for pizza with total strangers, she muses that she "saw in their faces the ravages of traumas past and present" and their trail stories "revealing their struggles to come to terms with themselves."  Or maybe they were just telling trail stories.  
That said, she is a good writer, and she seemed to be a little less self-centered by the end of the book.  Her husband is a hospice doctor, and since I've done hospice work as a social worker, the references to his work were interesting and enjoyable to me.   So while I couldn't stand her, I kind of liked the book.
Speak up, and I'll send it along to the next reader!

--------------
 Post Number: 12
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2014, 7:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ponderosa @ Feb. 07 2014, 2:14 pm)

Me! If I'm not too late... :D
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2014, 1:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(fifeplayer @ Feb. 08 2014, 5:29 am)

Great, Fifeplayer! Send me a message with your address, and I'll get it in the mail.

--------------
 Post Number: 14
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2014, 8:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ponderosa @ Feb. 08 2014, 1:51 pm)

(fifeplayer @ Feb. 08 2014, 5:29 am)

Great, Fifeplayer! Send me a message with your address, and I'll get it in the mail.

pm sent
13 replies since Aug. 15 2013, 1:54 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply I Promise Not to Suffer
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions