2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Trail Tested, by Justin Lichter< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 02 2013, 6:29 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I always enjoy reading "how to" books about backpacking although I probably learn more on these forums than from books. Still, when I came across Trail Tested  by Justin "Trauma" Lichter, it peaked my interest.  While the photos and layout were very well done, there really isn't anything new in the book.  Might be good for a newbie or inexperienced hiker, but for seasoned folks, I think I'd pass unless you want a nice coffee table book. Not a lot of detail in the text and it doesn't come close to classics like The Complete Walker (but then, I doubt anything ever will) or my favorite hiking author, Chris Townsend.  Still, you might want to give it a look.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 02 2013, 7:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

HJ,

Do you have a favorite edition of The Complete Walker?  I'm always on the lookout at Powell's and other bookstores for hardcovers by Fletcher in excellent condition.  Got a nice first edition hardcover of The Man Who Walked Through Time and I really enjoy looking at the photos his hardcovers always seem to have.  I have The Complete Walker I'VE, buT none of the other Walkers.

Also, HJ, a professor from Hawaii is working on a bio of Fletcher and I was able to provide some assistance on Fletcher's sole journey to Alaska.  I'll let ya know when the bio is do out.  And if you are ever in Santa Cruz you can stop by the UCSD university library and check out the special collections material Fletcher left to the university.  I think Fletcher had between 33 or 34 binoculars in the collection alone with two unpublished books.

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 02 2013, 8:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rangersven @ Sep. 02 2013, 7:03 pm)
HJ,

Do you have a favorite edition of The Complete Walker?

I've got all the editions of the Complete Walker but they are all in the large paperback format except for the first one.  I guess that's my favorite since it's really the one that introduced me to backpacking.

Occasionally I'll see a hardback copy of one of the editions in the used book stores around here but have never purchased it since I have the other editions already.  If you want, I'll pick one up for you if I see a good hard back copy in the future.  Let me know.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 10:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Opps.  That post was a mistake.  Sorry.

--------------
 Post Number: 5
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2013, 12:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

THX, HJ...!  I'll contact you off board.

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
 Post Number: 6
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2013, 8:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've got all the editions of the Complete Walker but they are all in the large paperback format except for the first one.  I guess that's my favorite since it's really the one that introduced me to backpacking.

Yeah, I have that one too.  Love it.  It did not introduce me to backpacking, but it got me organized and rationalized, and made it so I could convince my beautiful young wife that backpacking was a sensible and rewarding way to spend our vacations.

She has often wondered what in the world happened to her mind in those years, in recent times!!  But it is too late now!

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 08 2013, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"She has often wondered what in the world happened to her mind in those years, in recent times!![/quote]

It obvious.  She became enlightened.  Or were you referring to her being married to you? :D

--------------
 Post Number: 8
jjack3230 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 13 2013, 12:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I will second hikerjer's take on the book as well.  It is a great looking book, but nothing new.  I ended up returning my copy of it.

--------------
"If people persist in trespassing upon the grizzlies' territory, we must accept the fact that the grizzlies, from time to time, will harvest a few trespassers." - Edward Abbey
7 replies since Sep. 02 2013, 6:29 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Trail Tested
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions