2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Far Sidtant Echoes: a journey from Lake, Superior to Hudson Bay< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 2:59 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Far Distant Echoes:  a journey from Lake Superior to Hudson Bay is by Fred Marks and Jay Timmerman.  This was told in the words of both authors, and I found both to be good writers and not distracting by the back and forth stories.  A good story of an incredible paddle, with just the right lengths of hints of the history they ran into along their way.  the trip started out with 7 guys, one who had planned on just going a ways with them, 4 who bailed after a scary paddle on Lake Winnipeg.  Only two made it to the end with an amazing accomplishment of paddling, portages, bugs, bugs, bugs, rainy weather and wind.  I liked it.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 13 2013, 2:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Duh, make that Far Distant Echoes.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 3
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 13 2013, 5:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dyxlesia cusks.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 4
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 13 2013, 8:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like Through the Great Canadian Wilderness which chronicles two young Americans traveling by foot, dogsled and canoe, mostly canoe, from the coast of BC to Quebec.  Great read. I'll have to take at look at  Far Distant Echoes.

Thanks.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 12:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In Far Distant...., they are just canoeing.

I have Through the Great Canadian Wilderness on my "to read" list, probably from you on another post.  I'll get to it at some point.

--------------
 Post Number: 6
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 12:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Haven't read this one, but two other books in a similar vein are Canoeing With the Cree and This Water Goes North.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 2:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ive read Canoeing With the Cree and liked it.  I'll check out This Water Goes North, thanks for that suggestion.

--------------
 Post Number: 8
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 4:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For what it is worth, I thought Canoeing was the better book.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 9
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 11:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mtngrl @ Sep. 16 2013, 12:44 pm)
I have Through the Great Canadian Wilderness on my "to read" list, probably from you on another post.  I'll get to it at some point.

Definitely worth the read.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
8 replies since Sep. 05 2013, 2:59 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Far Sidtant Echoes: a journey from Lake
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions