2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Help me find a book, To read to my 5 y.o. girl< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 20 2013, 7:53 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm currently reading the Harry Potter books to my seven-year-old son. He loves them, but his little sister isn't all that interested, and I think she often feels left out if we're reading for awhile.

My daughter is all things pink and princessey.  Something about princesses or little girls or something of the sort would be great.  I don't want a short read-in-one-sitting book, we have lots of those already.  I'll be the one reading, so it's fine if it's a bit above her reading level, but not so advanced that the plot will disinterest her. She's sharp as a tack, so it's okay if it's aimed at slightly older girls (school-aged), she'll likely keep up.

Web searches don't seem to help all that much... In this case it just lists oodles of "short books" for little girls.  I want something we can stretch over weeks. Even better if it's a whole series.  I grew up with only brothers in the house, so I'm not entirely sure what to get.

Any tips, or suggested titles?

- Mike

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 20 2013, 8:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Chronicles of Narnia are still quite good.  If you don't want to go that deep, there's a series of books featuring a character named "Junie B. Jones", popular with the first grade set.  Things like "James and the Giant Peach" as well as "Pippy Longstockings" are other favorites here.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 20 2013, 8:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, Jim. :)  That's great.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 4
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 20 2013, 9:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Oct. 20 2013, 8:01 pm)
The Chronicles of Narnia are still quite good.  If you don't want to go that deep, there's a series of books featuring a character named "Junie B. Jones", popular with the first grade set.  Things like "James and the Giant Peach" as well as "Pippy Longstockings" are other favorites here.

My wife and daughter guffawed out loud when they read Junie B. Jones books to my 2 grandsons, despite Junie's dismantling of the English language.  

My daughter-in-law, OTOH, considers Junie's world perspective and grammar to be so un-PC that she will not allow her 2 daughters to read the books (maybe because the youngest is a spittin' image of the Junie character).

Me?  I liked the books, I enjoyed hearing the grandsons cackle out loud at Junie's mis-adventures.

JMD, what did you think about them??  GBH, let me know your opinion, altho I will definitely keep my own opinion to myself when I am around my daughter-in-law.

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 5
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 20 2013, 9:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would think any princess book that also depicted her as a strong person in her own right, would do just fine.  I will ask my local librarian.   RebeccaD should be chiming in soon.

As she gets a bit older and more adventuresome, try finding Paddling My Own Canoe.  I will look for my own copy so I can tell you the author.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 6
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 20 2013, 10:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

She might be old enough for The Wind in the Willows.  I never get tired of that book.
 Post Number: 7
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 20 2013, 10:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm trying to think here. . . princesses are a bit out of my personal experience. . . I do know of some series, but can't say I've read many or any.  
Princess Academy is one
I wonder if she'd enjoy the American Girl books?  They are shorter than what you're talking about, probably only a couple of sittings to read them to her, but good stories for the most part.

Also look at the "Dear America" diaries.  Those are fictional "diaries" of girls from various key points and events in US history, and are well done--mostly written by top children's writers.  Likewise the "Royal Diaries," but I haven't read any of those and am not as sure about quality.

Both the kids might enjoy Hank the Cowdog, for some just plain fun silliness, and Tommy can probably read them himself, too.

I'm trying to visualize the juvvy section of our library, where I haven't actually been since June, so somewhat limited success here.  

Sarah, Plain and Tall
Anne of Green Gables.  That might go over her head in places, but I bet she'd connect to some parts.

Winnie the Pooh--the original, not Disney crap.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 8
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 20 2013, 10:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh, and when you need relief from pink princesses, look up a very funny picture book called The Paperbag Princess

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 9
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 21 2013, 8:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Old Frank @ Oct. 20 2013, 9:17 pm)

(JimInMD @ Oct. 20 2013, 8:01 pm)

My wife and daughter guffawed out loud when they read Junie B. Jones books to my 2 grandsons, despite Junie's dismantling of the English language.  

My daughter-in-law, OTOH, considers Junie's world perspective and grammar to be so un-PC that she will not allow her 2 daughters to read the books (maybe because the youngest is a spittin' image of the Junie character).

Me?  I liked the books, I enjoyed hearing the grandsons cackle out loud at Junie's mis-adventures.

JMD, what did you think about them??  GBH, let me know your opinion, altho I will definitely keep my own opinion to myself when I am around my daughter-in-law.

I enjoy the books, but only after I gave up having my daughter try to read them to me.  As you note, her version of English can slow me down and frustrated my daughter's budding reading skills to no end.  I too have friends that have banned them in their homes, which I think is a real loss since kids seem to really like them.

GBH, a few other thoughts.

If you haven't already introduced her to Shel Silverstein's poetry, she'd probably love it.  In that same style is the poetry of Jack Prelutsky.  His book "The New Kid on the Block" was a favorite of mine as a kid and Becky loves it as much as I did.

My sister's little girls (6 and 4 years old) love the Beverly Cleary books about Ramona and Beezus.  I'm not such a big fan and neither is Beck, but they've stayed popular for a good reason.

The Princess Bride may be advanced for her, but try it.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 10
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 21 2013, 9:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check out "Tales of Despereaux".  I recall there being a princess character in it.

How about the "Magic Treehouse" books?  While each book is short, there are a LOT of them.  Main characters are a sister and brother team, which might strike a chord.  Not exactly pink-and-princessy but there's adventure and interesting cultural/historical content.

My all-time favorite childrens' author is E.L. Konigsburg and I think her books resonate well with girls though, again, not exactly 'princessy'.  My favorite of her's is "From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" -- they really don't get any better, imo.  "Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley, and Me, Elizabeth" is also excellent.  Also loved "About the B'nai Bagels".

FWIW, one of my favorite memories is my mother reading "Little Women" to me right around that age.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 11
TheBeef Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 21 2013, 10:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Oct. 20 2013, 10:17 pm)
She might be old enough for The Wind in the Willows.  I never get tired of that book.

This
 Post Number: 12
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 21 2013, 11:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Oct. 21 2013, 6:55 am)
Check out "Tales of Despereaux".  I recall there being a princess character in it.

How about the "Magic Treehouse" books?  While each book is short, there are a LOT of them.  Main characters are a sister and brother team, which might strike a chord.  Not exactly pink-and-princessy but there's adventure and interesting cultural/historical content.

My all-time favorite childrens' author is E.L. Konigsburg and I think her books resonate well with girls though, again, not exactly 'princessy'.  My favorite of her's is "From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" -- they really don't get any better, imo.  "Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley, and Me, Elizabeth" is also excellent.  Also loved "About the B'nai Bagels".

FWIW, one of my favorite memories is my mother reading "Little Women" to me right around that age.

Great suggestions!  There's a new book by Avi, too, with mice, a bit of adventure, fun story.  Can't for the life of me remember the title.  Something about the sea.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 21 2013, 11:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks everyone. :)  This is really great.

Just to clarify, I do appreciate the suggestions that aren't necessarily pink and princessey, as she loves other things too.  Anyone who's been to a Pickle Gulch a few years back knows she likes camping.  However, given that she doesn't really seem to be into Harry Potter like her brother is, I think she'd enjoy a book with a girl character in it. You've given lots of suggestions, and I'm looking through them now.  Y'all remind me why I love the community here.

- Mike

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 14
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 21 2013, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My daughter and wife loved the Anne of the Green Gables series.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 15
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 21 2013, 6:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Once they get into the personalities of the characters in Wind in the Willows, the book is a hit, even for  pink and purple princesses.

At least for my princessy granddaughter it is.

I'm sure that Toad would dress all in pink if he found out how popular pink is these days!

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 16
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 12:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My smart little girls are 4 1/2 and 6.  We've enjoyed E.B. White (Charlotte's Web, etc), the Little House series, Alice in Wonderland, Wind in the Willows, and the Gooney Bird Greene series by Lois Lowry.  I love Lowry's stuff for older kids, but only recently learned about this series starring a feisty, funny little 7 year old girl.  It's great.
My six year old's current favorites are the Nancy Clancy books.  They are about the same little girl in the Fancy Nancy books for pre-schoolers, but now she's in 3rd grade solving little mysteries.

When I was five and six, I loved all the Thornton W. Burgess books (Old Mother West Wind etc).  I've read a couple to my kids, but they don't seem to be really into them.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 1:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Oct. 20 2013, 8:54 pm)
Oh, and when you need relief from pink princesses, look up a very funny picture book called The Paperbag Princess

We have that one. It's a bedtime story for us. :)  Shorter than what I'm looking for now though.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 1:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Oct. 20 2013, 8:17 pm)

I think I'm gonna give this one a try for starters, see if she likes it. :)  I was originally planning to find something with a little girl as the main character, but I think she'd really enjoy reading about the animals.

Besides, it's a classic, and one I now realize that I never read growing up. I'll probably enjoy it, even of she doesn't.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 19
pudgy_groundhog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2013, 9:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You might like "Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots" (and the other books by this author).  They are cute books.  They're picture books, but anything that combines princesses and hiking is pretty neat.

My daughter is almost 6 and I find that she still likes books with pictures. We have read some books like Bunnicula and Ramona, but she seems to prefer Junie B Jones, Ivy & Bean, etc. Probably her favorite right now is Mr Putter and Tabby (she loves cats). These books are good because she can also read them on her own. She also loves non-fiction books. Although they aren't "story books" that's what she often likes to read at bedtime. Nothing like reading a mineral and rock reference book for bedtime. :p
 Post Number: 20
CampinCarl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2013, 3:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

These have been a hit with my five year old daughter- (and enjoyable for mom and dad, too)
The Boxcar Children (kid-friendly mysteries, there are 135 in total, 19 by the original author)
Nancy Clancy
Chronicles of Narnia
The Tale of Despereaux
The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane
Chronicles of Narnia
The Four Seasons of Brambly Hedge
Mr. Popper's Penguins

--------------
"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike." - John Muir
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 2:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One of my granddaughter's favorites is an 8 x 12 format, grade school level, Greek Myth summary.  

I forget the editor, but it is well written with great illustrations, and she likes to have it read to her over and over.

It is a book we got for our children at about 5-6 years of age, and is a great introduction to the main Greek Myths.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 22
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 3:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Little House on the Prairie books?

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 23
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 12:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mtngrl @ Oct. 31 2013, 12:42 pm)
Little House on the Prairie books?

Yes!

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 24
SWest Search for posts by this member.
No And Then!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 1:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My son is 6 and he loves when I read him the Coyote books by Thomas King. Our favorite is "A coyote solstice tale" which does have a little girl, but the characters are mostly animals. If you pick this one, read it before Christmas!!! They are all written in rhyme and are so fun to read out loud. (I should say the books are parables with a moral or lesson. The solstice one is about valuing stuff vs. family and friends, but its really not heavy, I promise)

Thomas King is a Native American author, and it looks like he has written several serious books about Native American history and culture. I've never read any of them, so I can't speak for those.

--------------
The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Frost
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2013, 12:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, those look good.

We already have a few coyote picture books from earlier, but I am going to order up on a couple of Kings books.

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 26
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2013, 2:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe My Side of the Mountain or other Jean Craighead George books.  I believe she is the granddaughter of one of the (Yellowstone) Craighead brothers.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 27
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2013, 3:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have you looked at Stone Soup magazine?  I realize you asked for a book, but it features stories, poems, book reviews and art by children.  I don't have any personal experience with the magazine, I saw it advertised in The Atlantic].  Just thought I'd put it out there.

stonesoup.com

cheers
26 replies since Oct. 20 2013, 7:53 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Help me find a book
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions