2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: The Long Walk, by Slavomir Rawicz, A true journey of survival< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
CarFree Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 03 2013, 10:43 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would like to recommend, The Long Walk, by Polish author Slavomir Rawicz.   It is the true story of him and a small group of Polish prisoners and one American who escaped from a Soviet prison camp in Siberia and trekked south through Siberia, Mongolia, the Gobi desert, Tibet, the Himalayas, to freedom in India in 1941.

Read it in one weekend.  Couldn't put it down.

--------------
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.

Henry David Thoreau
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 03 2013, 11:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds inspirational and depressing at the same time.  Got any inciting quotes?  Seriously, I'm always looking for good nonfiction, but I want more than "I survived the worst conditions imaginable."  
Jerzy Kosinski was probably the last Polish author I read.  Painted Bird was haunting and amazing.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 1:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

'One of the epic treks of the human race.  Shackleton, Franklin, Amundsen...history is filled with people who have crosses immense distances and survived despite historic odds.  None of them, however, has achieved the historic feat Rawicz has recorded.  He and his companions crossed an entire continent---the Siberian Arctic, the Gobi desert, and then the Himalayas---with nothing but an ax, a knife, and a weeks worth of food...this account is so full of despair and suffering it is almost unreadable.  But it is must be read---and re-read'.

Sebastian Junger, author of The Perfect Storm

--------------
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.

Henry David Thoreau
 Post Number: 4
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 2:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, I have a whole shelf of epic survival books.  I love 'em.

Most inspiring commentary there is on the human will to survive, no matter how bad things seem to be.

Survival when lost at sea seem like the toughest to me.

You know they made a movie about the The Long Walk, don't you?  The Way Back

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 5
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 5:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I enjoyed The long Walk until he started talking about bigfoot.

You might like We Die Alone[U]  by David Hawarth, or [U]As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me by Josef Bauer.  I think both of these are talked about further down this thread.  I also think there is a thread about survival stories somewhere further down this place.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 7:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I will take a look at those books.  I didn't know they made a movie out of it since I haven't watched movies in a long time.  Will have to check it out.

--------------

Henry David Thoreau
 Post Number: 7
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 12:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mtngrl @ Nov. 04 2013, 2:06 pm)
I enjoyed The long Walk until he started talking about bigfoot.

You might like We Die Alone[U]  by David Hawarth, or [U]As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me by Josef Bauer.  I think both of these are talked about further down this thread.  I also think there is a thread about survival stories somewhere further down this place.

I also was fascinated by The Long Walk.  I counted the Yeti up to the sort of hallucinations you'd get after a trip like that.  There were certainly some unanswered questions about the story, but it's worth reading.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 1:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CarFree @ Nov. 03 2013, 10:43 pm)
I would like to recommend, The Long Walk, by Polish author Slavomir Rawicz.   It is the true story of him and a small group of Polish prisoners and one American who escaped from a Soviet prison camp in Siberia and trekked south through Siberia, Mongolia, the Gobi desert, Tibet, the Himalayas, to freedom in India in 1941.

Read it in one weekend.  Couldn't put it down.

Hi...

"The Long Walk" is an AMAZING tale of having been marched to a Siberian gulag in mid-winter, escape, foiling attempts to capture, travellng through strange lands with no maps...and not knowing the languages, and of superhuman trials and toil and suffering.

I've read my copy twice already, and am about to read it again.

Some of the encounters during their "Long Walk" defy logic, but see for yourself...if the book is still available.

I too recommend it highly.
 Post Number: 9
Mudinyeri Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 4:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've also read The Long Walk.  There is some doubt as to its accuracy/voracity.

--------------
"History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it. "  Walter Bagehot, Founder of the National Review
 Post Number: 10
Colter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 7:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Unfortunately The Long Walk is a fabrication.

There are many things in the book that simply didn't happen, like the length of time they went without water and the Yeti they supposedly saw.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. There is no evidence backing up Rawicz's claim to having done this trek, and there is independent documentation proving that he didn't.

--------------
Alone Across Alaska: 1000 Miles of Wilderness
Please check out my story and photos!

Post Number: 11
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 8:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good story, but as others have pointed out, questionable in it's authenticity.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 12
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2013, 1:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry to hear that a lot of the story was fabricated, but it is interesting in the documentation by the researchers that it is still likely that some European prisoners did make the trek to India, just not the guy who wrote the story.

Maybe if they keep digging they can find the identity of the real trekkers.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 13
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2013, 1:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow. I read this book many years ago, and don't remember the yeti part -but remember being skeptical of the blood drinking in the desert. I recently read the book by Joseph Bauer and must say it is quite a bit more realistic/less dramatic in its presentation.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 14
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2013, 11:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Nov. 06 2013, 1:32 am)

That is if it actually happened.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 15
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2013, 2:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Nov. 06 2013, 8:40 am)

(wwwest @ Nov. 06 2013, 1:32 am)

That is if it actually happened.

Not like he wrote it, but it looked even from the article linked above that there were people who did some astonishing walks out of Russia.

Well,  I think most of us knew there were no Yetis.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
14 replies since Nov. 03 2013, 10:43 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply The Long Walk, by Slavomir Rawicz
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions