2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Bad Luck Way, by Bryce Ansrews< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2014, 10:58 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rangersven recommended this on an earlier thread and since the story is set in Montana and deals with wolves, I thought I'd give it a read.  Glad I did.  The author is a young urban idealist from Seattle in love with both the outdoors and with wildlife, particularly with wolves.  He also wants to be a cowboy. He lands a job as a ranch hand on the Sun Ranch, an environmental conscience operation in Montana's Madison River valley adjacent to the Lee Metcalf Wilderness area.  His primary responsibility is to take care of the ranch's cattle, a job he grows to love, that is, until the wolves show up.  The book details the ranch's efforts to minimize conflict between the wolves and the cattle, a task which proves impossible. When he's forced to hunt and kill wolves as part of his job, it leads to some deep soul searching.  This in a unbiased look at the conflict between stock growers and wolf advocates that deserves everyone's attention.  It also is a pretty good description of a modern cowboy's incredibly tough and not so romantic life.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2014, 6:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad you liked the book!  Here's an interview with the author.

http://mtpr.org/post....llision

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2014, 7:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And another interesting interview.

http://ypr-pc.streamguys.net/podcast/homeground/hg140128.mp3

RS

--------------
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2014, 4:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Andrews does a good job with his first book.  I look forward to his future writings.  Can't say I felt much when the wolves took stock on federal leased land; however, when the wolves took cattle on the ranch's proper holdings, I knew wolves were going to die.  Wildlife Services at its finest---and paid for by US taxpayers.

RS

--------------
 Post Number: 5
Rics Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2014, 6:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The current charge for grazing one cow with one calf on USFS and BLM land is $1.35 per month, nationwide.  The charge for grazing FIVE ewes with FIVE lambs is $1.35 per month, nationwide.  Ranchers do not look at the super-low cost as a subsidy, but rather as a right.  Interesting too, is the fact that when kills of livestock by wolves or grizzlies occur the media seldom differentiates whether the attack occurred on USFS/BLM leased land or deeded land actually owned by the rancher.  I suspect most attacks occur on leased land.  Also the rancher does not lease the land, only the right to graze his or her livestock on the land. That land is always open to hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, by the general public.

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
 Post Number: 6
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2014, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, what a book.  I road his loves, angers, guilts, etc. right along with him.  To me, this is one of those books I need to let settle/simmer within me for a few days before I get into another book.   I liked it and will read more of his books.  Thanks for the recommendation rangersven and hikerjer.   Notice my new signature line....

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2014, 2:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Duh, make that "rode".

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2014, 11:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great  quote.  Glad yo liked the book.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2014, 11:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Rics @ Apr. 06 2014, 6:41 pm)
That land is always open to hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, by the general public.

But they sure don't want yo to know that. I've had several run ins with  ranchers over the years where they tried to kick me off public land they had grazing leases on.  One even threatened me with a rifle.  Not that all ranchers are that way. Most I find pretty accommodating and easy to get along with once they've had time to feel you out.  But I really resent the attitude I often find that says you're from the city and have no right to be out on "our land" even when it's public land they are leasing.

--------------
 Post Number: 10
Rics Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2014, 8:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hikerjer:
Three things have always bothered me about grazing on public lands:
(1) Ranchers  are usually the first and the loudest to be critical of government interference in private business, and very vocal about handouts to others, yet they have no problem accepting the unrealistically low grazing leases.
(2) Grazing within Wilderness Areas is a vestigial practice and should be eliminated. I have personally witnessed some two thousand sheep wading across the streams and overgrazing within the Bridger Wilderness especially in the very popular and scenic Big Sandy Area. It's disgusting. (I am aware that grazing within the Wilderness was one of the "compromises" when the Wilderness Act was implemented in 1964, but it's time for a change.)
Rics

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
 Post Number: 11
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2014, 9:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What is a conservation-oriented ranch?  It was referenced in the intro to the video, but I did not watch it.

Hikerjer you make the books sound interesting, I'll check it out.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2014, 11:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(llamapacker @ Apr. 09 2014, 9:07 pm)
What is a conservation-oriented ranch?

My take on it was the owners (wealthy out-of-staters) tried to make it a sustainable operation with as little impact on the environment as possible. The last thing they wanted to do was developed it into subdivided ranchettes which is quite common in that area since the Madison River is a real Mecca for fly fishing. One aspect the ranch owners really tried to work out was co-existing with the area's wildlife, especially the wolves, while still running a viable operation.  That challenge was really the central theme of the book. Unfortunately, the economic realities of ranching often made  a "conservation-orientated" operation very difficult or impossible. Somewhat depressing but enlightening from both the ranchers point of view and the environmentalist view.  No easy answers there.

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2014, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love that "center of my heart's geography" part.  I know exactly where to go to feel that.  Exactly!

--------------
12 replies since Mar. 08 2014, 10:58 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Bad Luck Way
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions