2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Water and Sky, ...by Alan Kesselheim< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2014, 3:51 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Read this a few weeks ago, and really liked it.  It's another one of those canoe across the Canadian Barrens books that I like.  I'm amazed at the trip they did, and wintering over, brrrrrr.  I'm sure I never had this couple's ambition and strength, even when I was young, but I sure enjoyed the armchair adventure with them.  They canoed north, up the Athabasca River and wintered over in a small cabin on Athabasca Lake, and then continued canoeing north through the barrens to Black Lake.  More than a year on this adventure.

I read "Let Them Paddle", recommended by rangersven and enjoyed it, and I will read more of Kesselheim's books.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2014, 3:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've always enjoyed Kesselheim. Pretty down to earth writer.  I read Water and Sky a while back and found it well my time.  Informative and interesting.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 3
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 10:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll have to give this one a try because I also dig books about the Canadian Barrens.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 4
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2014, 5:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you like Kesselheim's northern adventures, you should like this lok, too.

http://www.amazon.com/Into-Great-Solitude-Arctic-Journey/dp/080500727X

I really enjoyed the book and the PBS program on the paddling trip.

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
 Post Number: 5
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2014, 5:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's part of the video.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u-_TI2Hw29o

Perkins does not have the best voice for narration; however, the video and what he says are really what matters.

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2014, 5:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, love Robert Perkins, and his moustache-licking-rapid-running!  I have the book, used to have the VHS of this trip, and have tried to find the DVD of it, but have not found the DVD.  Love that arctic tundra!

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 7
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 12:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I managed to score a copy of this book via inter-library loan and finished it last night. This is a great book and enjoyed it immensely though the second half of their trip - done with the author's brother and his wife - seemed less enthusiastic than the description of the first half.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 10:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I, agree, tomas, the second part was less enthusiastic and I felt like it was the better land to paddle through.

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 10:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I, agree, tomas, the second part was less enthusiastic and I felt like it was the better land to paddle through.

--------------
8 replies since Apr. 03 2014, 3:51 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Water and Sky
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions