2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 1412345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: The Road Bike Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2009, 2:46 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe we could put all of the road bike posts in here...

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2009, 2:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did my first 30 miler today.  Did it on a rails to trails, so it was nearly perfectly flat.  1:53 for 31.73 miles-works out to an average of about 16.8 mph.  Is that pretty good for a first year road biker who's 45?

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 3
firemike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2009, 6:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That sounds pretty good to me, but I'm not a raod biker.  I have been thinking about getting one recently, but with having to save/pay for a wedding I don't think it will happen anytime soon.  :(

I do spend alot of time on the road with my hardtail mountain bike, and that is why I'm thinking a road one would be nice too.  Plust I really want to ride to Sedona from my house (about 20 miles with some nice hills), and I don't think it would be much fun on my current bike.
 Post Number: 4
RevoRunner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2009, 6:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great job Talus.  At this point as long as you give a solid effort then I'd say that's a very good start.

It's nice to have a rails to trails so you can "redo" your ride a month or two later and see how much you've improved.  

Miles, miles and more miles is what the Dr. is prescribing now.  See if you can hook up with a local bike shop for group rides and pointers on improving form/peformance.

--------------
WINNING!!!
 Post Number: 5
RichB Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2009, 10:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So far I have 194 miles on my new road bike. I hoped to have more on it by now, but ran into a few glitches that kept me from riding.  The longest ride I did yet was 31 miles.  I'll do a longer ride soon.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2009, 7:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

hate those glitches... we've been having record rains in her FL so that makes riding a little tough at times.

--------------
WINNING!!!
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2009, 7:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(firemike @ Jun. 14 2009, 6:24 pm)
That sounds pretty good to me, but I'm not a raod biker.  I have been thinking about getting one recently, but with having to save/pay for a wedding I don't think it will happen anytime soon.  :(

I do spend alot of time on the road with my hardtail mountain bike, and that is why I'm thinking a road one would be nice too.  Plust I really want to ride to Sedona from my house (about 20 miles with some nice hills), and I don't think it would be much fun on my current bike.

If you're on the fence about a road bike, see if you're local bike shop will rent you one for a few days.  Normally if you do decide to buy, they take the cost of rent off the bike.

Or just throw some 1.25 fatboy slicks on your mtn bike.

--------------
WINNING!!!
 Post Number: 8
RichB Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2009, 3:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The weatherman on the local TV station said out of the last 20 days we've only had three with no rain.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2009, 4:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Perhaps we need to post pics of our beauties....

--------------
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2009, 6:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

bike pron...

I dig the paint job where the color fades to reveal the carbon underneath

--------------
WINNING!!!
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2009, 7:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Your bike is so much nicer than mine.  Also much cleaner.  I desperately need to clean my chain.

--------------
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2009, 8:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cleaning and changing the chain (I change it every 1200 miles) is like changing your oil in your car.  It will help you get more life out of your gears.

There's quite a few schools of thought on chain maintenance.  For me, I either use Simple Green or a Park Chain Tool that runs the chain through solution and brushes.  Afterwards I dry (chain stays on the bike)  and then lightly apply Tri-Flow.  Afterwards, I take a rag and run it through until I get all excess lube off the chain.  The idea is anywhere that lube is actually needed cannot be rubbed off because it's in the joints of the chain, everything else is just a magnet for dirt and dust to adhere to.  When you're done with that run it through the rag some more.

Some folks like White Lightning... decent product that professes itself to be a dirt barrier.  I've always found it to be a waxy dirt magnet.  Over time it tends to gunk up.  Like throwing a glazed donut in a dirt pile.

Another tip, if you sweat battery acid like some folks, then give your bike a quick wipe down after each ride.  It will help prevent corrosion in your cables, brakes, etc.

--------------
WINNING!!!
 Post Number: 13
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2009, 12:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Talus, that sounds pretty good to me.  Though I've never done 30+ on the flat, not being one to hang about in flat places, I have to figure a good ride is anything where I average 15 mph.  

I'll second what Revo says about the chain.  I recently went into my shop for something else, the guys checked my chain, which had some 4400 miles on it, and pointed out that I'd not only worn it out, but also my cassette.  Ouch.  I studied bike mechanics years ago at the messenger company, but we never talked about needing a new chain every 1000 miles or so.

Here's my baby, hugging a tree at Humboldt Redwoods State Park back in January:

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 14
LostSheep Search for posts by this member.
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2009, 10:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OOoohhh.... pretty.

My bike is 4mo old and has 510mi on it. I love my sled! It's just time in the saddle and you'll be amazed at what happens!

'09 Specialized Allez (before aero bars)

Post Triathlon in Transition

--------------
Team Red, White & Blue’s vision is to transform the way wounded veterans are reintegrated into society when they return from combat and exit the Armed Services.

IT'S OUR TURN. Ask me how you can help.
 Post Number: 15
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2009, 10:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wasn't so sure at first about the ripe-banana look.  But I love it now.  I've got a couple of "don't-claim-you-didn't-see-me yellow" jersey's to match.  The Flying Banana is 3 years old and has 4500 miles on it.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2009, 12:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Jun. 16 2009, 12:20 am)
I studied bike mechanics years ago at the messenger company, but we never talked about needing a new chain every 1000 miles or so.

As your chain gets older (torqued) it stretches.  Your gears will wear to the chain's "stretched spaces" causing irregular wear on your cluster.  That's why a new chain on a cluster that has been worn on a stretched chain never really meshes correctly.  You'll have issues with shifting and getting out of the saddle to sprint.  

If you change your chain soon enough (my mech suggests every 1200 miles, that could vary) then you reduce significant wear to the cogs.  That prolongs the usefulness of your cluster.

--------------
WINNING!!!
 Post Number: 17
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2009, 12:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Revo, correctly if I'm wrong, but I've merely washed the bike w/ simple green about once a month. It really cuts the grit and grime and keeps it clean. Then I apply the bike chain cleaner they sold me to the chain, spin some, and let it go.

After the wet rides and inbetween cleanings, I throw a little WD-40 on the chain to keep it smooth.

Any issues w/ that?

--------------
Team Red, White & Blue’s vision is to transform the way wounded veterans are reintegrated into society when they return from combat and exit the Armed Services.

Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2009, 2:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is a constant debate on BF about WD-40 on chains.  Not sure if there is a consensus...

--------------
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2009, 2:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Simple Green is great it really does cut through the gunk.  But I would try using something other than WD-40.  I've had it explained to me several times and each time it's somewhat different.

This guy here tries to explain it.  Although  I agree to use a different lube I'm not quite sure I buy his explanation.

WD-40

Who knows, swap out wd-40 and you could be knocking off some time on your bike.

--------------
WINNING!!!
 Post Number: 20
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2009, 3:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not to throw gas on the fire, but I don't religiously use WD-40. Only after I come in from a wet ride, do I use it. Say I've gone through numerous puddles, rain, etc. I'll throw it on, until I get to the cleaning.

At the end of the month, I actually put Giant Liquid Silk Silicone. It was what they sold me when I bought it....

--------------

Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2009, 4:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That sounds good to me.  I think you're fine.

I really don't know if I buy into that WD-40 is bad stuff, but for me it actually works out because Tri-Flow is easier for me to get than anything else.

--------------
WINNING!!!
 Post Number: 22
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2009, 7:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RevoRunner @ Jun. 16 2009, 9:05 am)

(RebeccaD @ Jun. 16 2009, 12:20 am)
I studied bike mechanics years ago at the messenger company, but we never talked about needing a new chain every 1000 miles or so.

As your chain gets older (torqued) it stretches.  Your gears will wear to the chain's "stretched spaces" causing irregular wear on your cluster.  That's why a new chain on a cluster that has been worn on a stretched chain never really meshes correctly.  You'll have issues with shifting and getting out of the saddle to sprint.  

If you change your chain soon enough (my mech suggests every 1200 miles, that could vary) then you reduce significant wear to the cogs.  That prolongs the usefulness of your cluster.

That's what my mechanic said.  I'm only sorry I didn't know that 20 years ago  :p   I'm going to have to get a new wheel and all for my load bike (I have a road bike and a load bike) as the cluster is shot and the hub is unique--one of the very few Maillard Helicomatic hubs.  Can't just replace the cluster.  I  almost certainly need to replace the chainrings, too.  So I keep putting it off--it gets me to the grocery store and back anyway.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 23
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2009, 7:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Show us your sled Rebecca! :)

--------------

Post Number: 24
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2009, 8:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My road bike's above, hugging a redwood.  I don't have any pix of the load bike, and it's in SF while I'm in CO, so no can do!

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 25
4wheelbob Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2009, 2:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well...sort of related... :D

Broke a brace Saturday in, of all things, a parade. :angry:  But found a GREAT aluminum welder out here in our little valley - it'll be fixed tomorrow.

I use a teflon - based lube on axles at both ends (no, not a bike :D ), as well as the suspension links. It's thick enough to provide the best friction relief, but requires cleaning, usually with a very gentle cleaner, weekly unless I want to sprout small oaks in my spokes. Never WD40, not since i raced motorcycles some eons ago.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2009, 7:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What kind of suspension is on that thing Bob?  I've seen wheelchair road-racers, but never checked out their rigs close up.  Is yours like that?  Some custom job?

--------------
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 27
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2009, 11:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bob's chair isn't a racer.  It LOOKS surprisingly ordinary, given what he does in it!  

Bob, have you ever considered a hand-bike, just for variety?  I know they are wicked expensive (just like all the rest of our toys!), but it might be fun.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 28
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2009, 4:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think Bob's ride needs flames. :)

Rebecca, when you get a minute, share the other bike with us too! :)

--------------

Post Number: 29
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2009, 4:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When we get home I'll take a photo with it loaded with groceries!

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2009, 11:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I need some advise.  I'm trying to work up to 100 miles a week.  This week's goal is 90.  (I'm just adding 5 miles a week)  I have an hour to an hour and a half to ride on days that I work.  Sundays I can usually get in a 2 or 3 hour ride if things work out right.   Am I better off doing a 30 or 40 on Sunday then spreading the rest out over the week, or should I try to spread the mileage evenly throughout the week.  I've been trying to do the even way, but it seems to leave my legs very tired and they don't seem to recover on my off days.  

Additional info:

I'm 45, 196 lbs (still trying to lose 10-15 more) and not really looking to compete, just enjoy the rides and get more fit.

--------------
― Anatoli Boukreev
407 replies since Jun. 14 2009, 2:46 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 1412345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply The Road Bike Thread
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions