2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Heel Pain< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Serpicorabbit Search for posts by this member.
If I pee on it, it's mine!

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2011, 5:33 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My right heel has really begun to hurt since Saturday, after a fairly easy hike.  I waded knee-high through the river a little bit, did a little rock scrambling, and hiked a nice trail for a couple miles with about 1000' gain.  It was a good workout, but not too strenuous, really.  At least not for my feet.  I wasn't jumping off ledges or slamming my feet into anything.  My best guess is I was just on my feet for too long.  Although, I have done a good bit of rock scrambling the last couple of months, so perhaps it's a cumulative effect.  My legs have been getting somewhat achy, as expected, and sometimes swell up.  

On all but short hikes, I wear my Kayland Contact Rev's with thick SOLE footbeds.  The combination has felt pretty good, really.

But since Saturday my heel feels like it's getting worse.  The pain is mostly around the back and sides, and a little underneath, so I'm sure it's not plantar fasciitis.  A little research has led to me to think perhaps I've bruised the fat bad beneath my heel, or even had a little tendinitis flare up.

I'm eating ibuprofen like M&M's, elevating and icing.  I've even got my heel taped up to see if the compression gives any relief.  Seeing a doctor is totally out of the question, and the prospect of lying around the apartment on weekends is suicidally depressing.  What else can I try?  Anyone have/had a similar issue?

--------------
No problem! ~ ALF
--------------
Serpicorabbit's blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2011, 5:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had a few heel bruises in my running days.  If the pain is localized enough, you can relieve it somewhat by using a pad with a hole cut out at the affected spot.  You may have wear a similar pad (without the hole) on the other side to stay even.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
WayIntoIt Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2011, 6:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Believe it or not, but it might still be plantar fasciitis.  Start stretching your foot, roll your ankle, crunch and stretch your toes, the whole deal.  
A shoe or insert with a deep heel cup should help.  
If it is a bruise, a gel heel pad might make a difference, but staying off of it for a few days would be best.  
Good luck!

--------------
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
 Post Number: 4
Cyanide Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2011, 1:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like fat pad syndrome to me (ex military doc, so I used to see it a lot).  google fat pad syndrome and the first couple of links will basically confirm this to you, and give you some good and simple treatment options (that you have already stumbled upon as it were, based on the above details)
 Post Number: 5
Serpicorabbit Search for posts by this member.
If I pee on it, it's mine!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2011, 2:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While the pain is mostly located in a horseshoe shape around my heel, rather than in the center, fat pad syndrome sounds the most accurate.  And the most appropriate, given my fat ass syndrome.  Sounds like I'm doing what I need to alleviate the pain, though I may finally head to the New Balance store in Pasadena and see if they have more comfortable insoles.

--------------
No problem! ~ ALF
--------------
Serpicorabbit's blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
Kruser Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 5:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

my situation is a little different. My heel doesn't hurt at any time,it just uncomfortable. It feels like a have a shoe with a bad heel that can come off at any time! It just started when I wore my backpacking boots more. I usually wear the boots only for two backpacking trips per year. Then my old low cut hiking boots started bothering me did I hiked with the backpacking boots more - twice a month.
 Post Number: 7
HikeClimbBike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2013, 2:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

heel injuries are zero fun.  i recently shattered my heel and had it repaired with a titanium plate and screws.  laying around with my foot elevated for weeks is a blast.  i know you say seeing a doctor is out of the question but heel injuries are life changing.  even with surgery my surgeon says 30+ mile days are long over for me and hiking any sort of uneven terrain will be difficult.  so not taking care of your foot now may have long term consequences.
6 replies since Apr. 12 2011, 5:33 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Heel Pain
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions