2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 1712345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Fitness Updates for 2012, Let's put them all in one thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2012, 12:50 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, rather than starting a thread every week, I thought for 2012 we'd just put our updates in one thread and then have a running history to see how well we're doing, where we could improve, etc.

I'll start ~

Last week was an okay week. I'm trying to get myself motivated again after being gone on vacation and then have to deal with year end at work and then being sick.

Mon ~ Kickboxing
Tues ~ off
Wed ~ Kickboxing
Thurs ~ off
Friday ~ Whips and Chains class   :cool:  (spin class and a rope circuit after)
Sat ~ Off
Sun ~ Off

So, this week will be much of the same, but I'm hoping to get a couple more classes in. 5am is awfully early to get up when I haven't been sleeping well.  ???

What's up with ya'll?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2012, 3:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sure... let's try the running-thread idea.

Last week was a low-intensity week. I wanted to have plenty of energy for Mt. Washington. That said, I still stayed moderately active. I left for Mt. Washington at 192.5 lbs. As is strangely typical, I came back at 193. At least I felt strong on the mountain.

This Monday was recovery from the weekend. Yesterday I worked in the field then lifted weights (chest and tris, a bit of back).

I was watching a Dr. Oz show about food allergies, and I have many of those symptoms. I think I'll cut out dairy for a couple of weeks, and then wheat... and see how it goes.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 3
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2012, 4:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bad week last week due to back spasms.  Just lifted once and ran 9 miles.

This week is slightly better, but I did manage to fall on my kneecap and mess it up purty darn good.  Sigh.  I did get a bike out today for this awesome February weather so not a total loss.

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 4
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2012, 5:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You guys are my secret guilt trip.  I quit posting a long time ago, but keep reading and thinking, I'll go back when . . ., but I don't.  From Jan. 1 2011 to January 1, 2012 I made exactly no weight gain or loss and felt like I was standing still, but really, I have increased movement, drink more water, have less pain - the biggest thing holding me where I m, is I am a sugar fiend.  I eat fairly healthy meals, but always have pies and cookies and pop tarts around.  The couple years before last, I did go from 286, to 255, so in a sense, not gaining was still a victory but I'd like to get back on the down hill road.

So if we're doing a thread for the year, I will start by saying that a year from now, I'd shoot for at least 20 pounds down.  At 255 that is a small goal, but maybe I'll adjust it later, just not setting it so high I give up before I start.

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 5
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2012, 7:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had a decent week.
23  lift weights
24  bike 9 miles
25  walk 2 miles
26  lift
27  bike 7 miles
28  walk 3 miles and a yoga wo.
My lifting is push ups and crunches plus creative use of cement blocks and bricks.
I am trying 2 bike rides a week, one with few hills and the other with many hills.
 Post Number: 6
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2012, 12:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I already posted it in last week's thread.  But I stuck pretty well to my usual--swam 2 days (with biking to get there and lifting because the pool is where the weights are), ran 2, and biked (more) 2.  

My goal for the spring is another Century. . . except this time, I have the option of making it 125 miles instead of 100.  With even more climbing.  I'm starting to train hard on hills (actually, around here it's hard to avoid them, but I'm trying to add even more into my rides), since as far as I can tell the main way to get better at biking hills is. . . to bike hills.  Who knew? :D

Once the Century is done (last of April) I start ramping up running and hiking to be ready for the summer BP season.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2012, 10:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Feb. 02 2012, 12:34 am)
My goal for the spring is another Century. . . except this time, I have the option of making it 125 miles instead of 100.

Hey... that's a double-century using the metric system!

--------------
 Post Number: 8
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2012, 11:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And still not as much climbing as, say, the Tahoe Death Ride.  :p

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 9
WBrim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2012, 3:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

2/5
Head colds gone.
Monday weight workout 4 mile run and 20 minutes stair climber.
Tuesday speed work 5+ miles
Wednesday 8 mile run
Thursday Nada
Friday Weights and calisthenics
Sat. 8 miles
Felt good to not have the head cold anymore but maybe went a little overboard.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2012, 9:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Last week was a pretty good week for me, including today.

Monday ~ 1 hour kickboxing
Tuesday ~ off
Wednesday ~ 1 hour kickboxing
Thursday ~ 2 hour spin
Friday ~ SNOW DAY!
Saturday ~ little 1 mile snowshoe in a nearby open space and broke lots of trail
Sunday ~ 3.25 mile snowshoe up at Brainard Lake with lots of hills and some trail breaking. Fantastic day!

My muscles will love me tomorrow.

Some observations:
I was overdo for snowshoe boots. The last few times I went over the last couple of years I was having some major problems with my pinky toes rubbing my boots in the bindings. Especially on the downhills.

Today and yesterday, I had absolutely no issues with that in my new The North Face boots. But only having 5 miles on the boots as break in period caused a hot spot on my left foot. Need to wear them more.

Also, my left toe (almost 10 months post-op) was a little sore immediately following and during the hike, but has returned to normal 3 hours after being home. This make me believe my soreness on that toe will go completely away as has happened with my right toe.

Things are looking up!
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012, 8:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've lost 7 pounds in the past 5 days!

How? Staying away from dairy. Perhaps... just perhaps... I was having a bit of a food allergy? :D

In a couple more weeks, I'll abstain from wheat, and see how that goes.

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012, 11:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Let me know how abstaining from wheat goes. That would be my hardest thing.

And other than yogurt, I'd totally be able to not do dairy. But I need the yogurt for other benefits.
 Post Number: 13
City Man Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012, 4:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

City Woman – No dairy. No wheat, Etc………………

Let me see:

Monday – Jan 30, 3 ½ mile walk with City Dog, 20 min. barbells.

Tuesday – Jan 31, 3 ½ mile walk with 45 lbs. backpack with City Dog, 20 min. barbells.

Wednesday - Feb. 1, 3 ½ mile walk with 45 lbs. backpack with City Dog, 20 min. barbells.

Thursday - Feb. 2, 4 ½ mile walk with 45 lbs. backpack with City Dog,

Friday - Feb. 3, 6 mile walk with City Dog

Saturday - Feb 4, 4 1/2 mile walk with City Dog in the morning, 5 mile bicycle ride in the afternoon to get groceries.

Sunday - Feb 5, a little less then 5 miles McKelligon Canyon, full backpack with weights added.  I also jogged about a mile on the walk with full backpack.  A 4 mile walk at night with City Dog.

I would like to do more but sad to say there is little time to do what I am doing. But come this June – double everything. Also in two more weeks double the McKelligon Canyon walk and in 4 weeks triple McKelligon Canyon walk.

--------------
It never hurts to do good – Eek the Cat

The quest for adventure is a never ending pursuit, an all consuming way to live life, it is a deep feeling that will never go away, embrace that feeling and have fun with your adventures.
 Post Number: 14
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012, 11:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Last week, eh?  

Mon. Day of rest
Tues. ride to Y, lift, swim a mile plus 2 laps
Wed.  Run 2 3/4
Thrs. Run 2 1/2
Fri.  Bike to Y, lift, swim a mile
Sat.  Run 2 3/4
Sun.  Bike three hours, hilly (as opposed to a monster hill, lots of shorter climbs)

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 15
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012, 6:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

sun    lift
mon  bike 8 miles
tue   lift a little
wed  bike 11 miles
thu   walk 2 miles
fri   walk 1 mile (knees hurt)
sat   Yoga and lift
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2012, 10:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Morning everyone.

Last week was an okay week, but I really wanted it to be better.

M ~ Kickboxing 1 hour
T ~ Spin Class 1 hour
W ~ Kickboxing 1 hour
T ~ Off
F ~ Off
S ~ Snowboarding
S ~ I cleaned the apartment

I'm getting there. Today I'm feeling pretty exhausted, so I'll need to drag myself to Kickboxing tonight. But I'll get there.
 Post Number: 17
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2012, 11:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I started back at the gym last week, after 5 weeks of remodeling the house.  So, I took it easy for a couple of days before getting back into the routine.

M- Yoga, lifted for legs
T- Spin class, lifted for upper body
W- yoga, legs, 30 minutes on the Stairmaster
Th- Spin class, arms, 5 miles on the treadmill
F- Yoga, legs, stairmaster
S- off
S- Arms, treadmill for 5 miles.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 18
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2012, 1:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Took kind of a slack week as I wasn't feeling quite myself (not entirely sure why, but when the body says, "fuggedaboutit" I figure a little rest is a good start.  I was also very scheduled up, which made it hard to get out anyway.

Mon: Rest
Tues: Biked to the Y, swam 3/4 mile (that's the rest part--not swimming a whole mile, and doing only core weights).
Wed.  Ran 2 1/4
Thurs. Ran about 2
Fri. Drove to the Y (rainy), lifted, and swam 7/8 mile before deciding I still didn't feel spunky.
Sat.  Ran 2 1/2
Sun.  Rode 2 3/4 hours.  Actually felt pretty good, so maybe the rest paid off.  

Resting again today, most likely, partly because my schedule doesn't leave much time, and I have a kid at home with (maybe) the flu.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2012, 8:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I stayed moderately active last week. Some time in the gym, but not as much as I'd have liked. I spent the weekend cleaning up puke.

On a good note, I was able to spend a good amount of time on yard work. Being able to do yard work in mid-February in Syracuse is a rarity. On a bad note, someone stole the 100' of corrugated pipe I had lying in my ditch, ready to be buried. Seriously... who steals corrugated drain pipe?

Down another couple of pounds. I think the results of the no-dairy diet are beginning to bottom out. I'll see how this week progresses then maybe I'll cut out wheat.

--------------
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2012, 1:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pretty much the same routine I do except skipped Thursday and ran a few miles less.
Gained a few pounds in water weight from eating a salt lick disguised as a pepperoni pizza the other night. Last one of those from that place (Costco).
Just curious anyone here run Long distance like 1/2 and full marathons. I signed up for the Chicago Marathon and was wondering if there any fellow nuts in this tree.
Didn't post this when I wrote it just saw the previous post and see I may have a soon to be sister in crazy. Congrats on the running I found that runners in my league, more for fun and self competition are a pretty fun group of people. A nice side benefit is getting into good hiking shape.
 Post Number: 21
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2012, 6:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

WBrim--I ran one 1/2 marathon.  Unfortunately, though I really liked it, it pushed my biomechanical problems over the edge, so I don't run much anyway (just a few miles a week, as you see).  But I took up long bike rides instead :)

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 22
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2012, 7:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another runner who has gravitated to biking.  I went the recumbent route once I started having back problems.  Now, Spin class is the only upright biking I do.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 23
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2012, 12:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But I have to say that if my body would let me, I'd still be doing long distance running, and probably up to marathons by now.  Easy to say, but I mean that I did enjoy it, and do like pushing my body long and hard and seeing what happens (I can't get up off the floor an hour later).

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2012, 10:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like I'm doing it backwards. Used to be a bicycle bum riding everywhere, for fun, shopping and when I could work. I was over a hundred miles on a lite week. After getting hit by a car  and spending a week in the hospital and 3 months off work. I decided to stick more to trail riding which I had a nice long one across the street (61 miles). Then I moved and when I saw how the people drove here was afraid to get on the street so I could ride to one of the trails by my new house.  An example I had someone almost back into me on the sidewalk after thinking they weren't going to move while they fired up a cigarette also grazed in the crosswalk from a car that didn't use the turn signal and turned into the outgoing lane that I was in. I'm super extra careful now.
Didn't ride as much gained weight, started a spin class to lose some of the weight and get back in shape for riding to go touring. To lose weight faster started running met some great people that run together. They talked me into running a marathon with them  towards the end of last summer. I did horrible even though I finished it so this year vengeance is mine. Trained like crazy even missed 2 backpacking trips because of the training which is where the crazy remarks I made come in. Now I look at trips with will there be time and room on the trail to run. I'm not alone this year we added 5 new marathoners to our group all who ran with us  but didn't realize that marathon crazy was contagious.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2012, 11:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Ol-Zeke how about this recumbent.
Edit;
Can't seem to figure out the photo feature for the photo. Not sure what I'm doing wrong tried resizing. It was really cool.
But trying to do that I noticed the other runner I had refered to had there post removed. ??
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2012, 1:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WBrim @ Feb. 14 2012, 1:57 pm)
Pretty much the same routine I do except skipped Thursday and ran a few miles less.
Gained a few pounds in water weight from eating a salt lick disguised as a pepperoni pizza the other night. Last one of those from that place (Costco).
Just curious anyone here run Long distance like 1/2 and full marathons. I signed up for the Chicago Marathon and was wondering if there any fellow nuts in this tree.
Didn't post this when I wrote it just saw the previous post and see I may have a soon to be sister in crazy. Congrats on the running I found that runners in my league, more for fun and self competition are a pretty fun group of people. A nice side benefit is getting into good hiking shape.

I'm training for my first half marathon.  I'm just trying to keep up with my Wife, who will be doing her second full marathon the same time I'm running my first half.  I enjoy running as another way to stay in shape besides cycling.  I find that doing too much of either tends to get me injured (back with the bike, plantar/ankle with running).  Working with a physical therapist has helped with both.

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 27
City Man Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2012, 2:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Doing about the same, though without the jogging.

Would like to do more but the time thing, glade I am doing what I am doing, I am at the point that I have to make myself do it at first, once I have gotten the inertia each day to go, the going is easy.

--------------
It never hurts to do good – Eek the Cat

The quest for adventure is a never ending pursuit, an all consuming way to live life, it is a deep feeling that will never go away, embrace that feeling and have fun with your adventures.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2012, 10:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've run a few 1/2+ marathons... but nothing formal. Just started running on a trail and kept running for a couple hours. If I ever run a full marathon, I'm sure that will be on a whim as well.

Note: Don't push too far too fast. The last time I ran a near half-marathon (12 miles), I hadn't run for months prior, and ended up with stress fractures in my shin.

--------------
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2012, 1:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At my age I'm adhering to a strict plan.  It has me running much slower than I'd like, but it worked well  for my 10k so I'll stick with it.  It is an online plan calculator from Runner's World if anyone cares.  

Also if anyone cares, here's an interactive PDF (mouse over the stars)
of the trail race Alisha and I are running in the fall.  I'm afraid already.

Mega pop up map

--------------
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2012, 3:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've heard "fascinating" things about the Megatransect and all I can say is "ow".

Good luck to you both! That will be brutal!
499 replies since Feb. 01 2012, 12:50 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 1712345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Fitness Updates for 2012
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions