2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: how to carry spare bicycle tube?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 27 2012, 5:13 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A faceook friend had 5 flats on a bike ride today. Made me think a bit. I carry a spare tube and a patch kit with levers. I also took a tube out of the package, after carrying it on the bike for a year or so, and all along the edge where the tube had been folded the tube was cracked.  The tube was useless. So, I ask you fellow bike riders, do you do anything special to tubes you carry for flats.  I have thought about putting it in a plastic bag with some talcum powder. What do you do? How long do you carry a tube? Do you ever check it?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
LostSheep Search for posts by this member.
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 27 2012, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have 3 cans of air (CO2) and 2 tubes, plus the inflator, lever, laminated expired drivers license, and $10 in my kit bag on both bikes. The tires are in a ziploc with talcum powder and I check them prior to all of my races (~4/yr).

Honestly, anything more than that, and I'm pretty well in trouble. I did a couple of the longer rides (50+ mile) and occasionally, I'd toss an extra tube in my jersey pocket on those. But really, I just let it be.

Now, on my race bike when I go out on the shorter races (56mi - Half Ironman distance), I'll take 2 tubes. If I blow both of those, it's pretty much guaranteed that my race is over. I'll take the assistance from the SAG wagon and get the penalty.

5 flats is quite a few though. Was this from legitimately hitting 5 things or were some from pinches when putting on the new tires? Or from bad rim tape?

--------------
Team Red, White & Blue’s vision is to transform the way wounded veterans are reintegrated into society when they return from combat and exit the Armed Services.

IT'S OUR TURN. Ask me how you can help.
 Post Number: 3
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 27 2012, 6:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I ride a mountain bike most of the time and am generally more prepared than roadie sorts.

I ride with tubeless tires on my mtb.  They have sealant inside.  Most flats get sealed automagically.  I still carry multiple flat repair options.  I don't bother with levers.  I can remove all my tires without them.  For the mtb, I have tire boots and plugs, a spare tube, and glueless tube patches.  I also carry a pump, multitool with chain breaker, spare power link, and a bit of extra chain when I trimmed the chain on the install.

For my commuter bike, I carry a spare tube plus glueless patches, multitool with chain breaker, and spare power link.  I only have a 3mi commute and the bike shop is on it.  I could probably get away without carrying that repair gear, but being a mt biker who has gotten in trouble for not carrying enough repair gear in the past makes me leery of leaving it behind for any reason.

I carry all that stuff in a backpack.  I plan to get panniers for the commuter bike so I don't need the backpack for it.  and I plan to duplicate the tool and pump in the panniers so it's all ready to go when I want to roll out the garage.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 4
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 28 2012, 12:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I carry a spare tube, but because I have liners in my tires, I haven't used one in a long time.  Now I'm thinking I should check it.

I also carry patch kit, inflator, and a mini-pump.  And $20 and a credit card.

Yesterday I also carried my cell phone the whole way, only to find, when the spouse wanted to contact me, that we don't have any coverage out on the coast anyway :p

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 12:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh never mind. I thought you were asking where I carry my spare tire... ;-)

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 6
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 4:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ray,the same place I carry mine.
 Post Number: 7
Canyonlands Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2012, 12:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

5 flats?  We haven't had 1 flat in years and we don't use liners, slime, etc.

We have 14 bikes between my wife and I.  One spare tube for each and they are never used.  80-100 mile rides and races, no change.  1 spare tube that never gets used.  When my wife races Leadville 100 I convert her over to tubeless with zero problems.  It comes down to high quality tires and high quality tubes.  You could pretty much stick with Schwalbe for both tires and tubes and be in great shape.  Some of the tubes I have are 5+ years old and they are perfectly fine and they are just sitting in seat packs with tire levers, chain tools and allen wrenches.

--------------
Edge of the Holy Cross Wilderness - Colorado
6 replies since Aug. 27 2012, 5:13 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply how to carry spare bicycle tube?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions