2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Crossfit< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
boogie Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 10:09 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone partake?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2012, 5:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's pretty popular amongst the younger officers on my Department.  Are you starting?

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 3
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2012, 8:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've dabbled. I have a friend (ex-special forces) who is into it big time.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 4
mocamper1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2012, 4:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A lot of my Army buddies are into it.  I haven't tried it, but I have read a lot about it.   I have some problems with it.  It could be very injurious if not executed properly.

--------------
"It's time to be immortal 'cause heroes never die!"
 Post Number: 5
LostSheep Search for posts by this member.
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2012, 10:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do.

I was a member of a box in Missouri for two months and LOVED it. It worked for me. It was new, it was challenging, and it opened my eyes to it.

I went through the learning course first which had MINIMAL weight and was nothing but form and movements. OVER & OVER & OVER.

Then we started doing the workouts and I enjoyed it even more. It was one of those things that you had to be your own judge about can I honestly go out there and on my first try deadlift 200#. If not, say no.

Put your pride aside and say no. If you can't do the 135# snatch correctly, then drop the weight down t osomething you can do. You're still going to see benefits. The problems come when the new guy wants to play on the same field as the guy who's done it for 3yrs.

EGOs and PRIDE stay outside.

For now, I do it 3-4x a week over lunch in the office gym. I do what I can with the equipment I have. Ive purchased a good bit of stuff for hte gym so that I can and don't regret it. I do wish the office would add some more but they won't. So, I substitue.

Definitely a good mix with the cardio that I love so much.

If you're going to do it, take the time to watch the videos online, go to a box and get instructions and work on form.

With bad form comes the potential for injuries. And no, I do not think a kipping pullup is a real pullup.

--------------
Team Red, White & Blue’s vision is to transform the way wounded veterans are reintegrated into society when they return from combat and exit the Armed Services.

IT'S OUR TURN. Ask me how you can help.
 Post Number: 6
Mudinyeri Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2012, 11:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great workout.  I've incorporated quite a bit of CrossFit-style movements into my own blended workout.

With that comes a caveat:  There have been quite a few injuries related to CrossFit.  Much of the idea behind CrossFit is to push one's self to the point of failure.  As one approaches the failure point, form tends to break down and injuries tend to happen.

I've come across a few CF trainers who don't teach form only and push their students immediately into weighted exercises.  DANGEROUS

--------------
"History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it. "  Walter Bagehot, Founder of the National Review
 Post Number: 7
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2012, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Absolutely mud!

I will say the boxes here, most have a one month training class to "CYA" for the incoming students. And that's great, but I do think there should be refresher classes for those that haven't been in the game forever. It's a very quick way to get hurt.

Case in point: I remember at the box in MO, the day was front squats. I have NEVER done a front squat up to that point. The instructor had 135# for the base.

I stepped out. I grabbed an unloaded 45# bar and stood to the side with one of the trainers and probably did close to 50 squats working on technique. I did not do that day's workout but instead did my form work.

Afterwards, I learned a new form, which I've still worked on, and I got in a decent workout with repetition.

But yes, CROSSFIT MAKES YOU CHECK YOUR EGO AT THE DOOR! ONLY YOU KNOW YOU'RE OWN LIMITS.

--------------
Team Red, White & Blue’s vision is to transform the way wounded veterans are reintegrated into society when they return from combat and exit the Armed Services.

Post Number: 8
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2012, 7:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am not impressed with how tightly woven Crossfit is with the paleo diet fad.  Which is exactly what I see it as...a fad.

I agree with mudinyeri that incorporating crossfit-style movements and ideas into a workout can be beneficial, but I will not buy into the whole marketing gimmick of it.

I have friends who are gung ho into Crossfit and they're always complaining about the diet thing.  Sorry, but I don't see how a fitness instructor for a branded fitness routine is going to be qualified to advise me on my diet.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 9
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2012, 9:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

@Nate, yes. I agree there too.

I like the workouts. Sorry, I'm not drinking the koolaid with eat this/that w/ this vitamin/that vitamin etc. Don't eat this, don't eat that, blah blah.

A sensible balanced meal choice is what I do. I eat heathy fruits/veggies, I balance my meats, I eat some vegetarian meals during the week, and I eat within moderation. It works.

If you hate the diet you're on, chances are, you won't stick to it very long and you'll be miserable.

But, I do support the workouts.

--------------

Post Number: 10
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2012, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(LostSheep @ Oct. 19 2012, 8:18 am)
@Nate, yes. I agree there too.

I like the workouts. Sorry, I'm not drinking the koolaid with eat this/that w/ this vitamin/that vitamin etc. Don't eat this, don't eat that, blah blah.

A sensible balanced meal choice is what I do. I eat heathy fruits/veggies, I balance my meats, I eat some vegetarian meals during the week, and I eat within moderation. It works.

If you hate the diet you're on, chances are, you won't stick to it very long and you'll be miserable.

But, I do support the workouts.

Agreed.  Shoot, some days I even eat nothing but vegan food.  Excessive supplements are a crutch for an insufficient diet in the first place.

And as for the paleo thing, some of the outright exclusions make no sense whatsoever.  The diet is too meat/protein heavy, and its namesake doesn't really make sense because it really doesn't mimic the diet of paleolithic humans.

But really, what I see as the major benefit of crossfit-style workouts is that it's essentially interval training where the whole workout is your interval.  But then again, I've seen some videos on youtube of crossfit workouts from people who are completely trashed and functioning on a sloppy autopilot.  Sorry, but that's how you get yourself hurt.  Time for a low intensity rest interval so you can return at a higher intensity in a few minutes.

--------------
The GPS Geek
9 replies since Oct. 16 2012, 10:09 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Crossfit
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions