2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: new bike seat suggestions< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2012, 11:41 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would like a better seat for my bicycle. I have a cypress giant hybrid steel. The seat is ok but I would like a better one. Should I just go to the shop and look at the next 2 upgrades? Got any suggestions? I rode 800 miles this year and would like to up that a little. I ride twice a week, sometimes 3 times. Too much going on to ride 4.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2012, 12:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are lots of good saddles (seats) out there so I think it's best to go with a reputable brand and concentrate on construction and style.   Many people make the mistake of thinking that the softer, plusher and wider the saddle is, the more comfortable it will be.  Not necessarily true.  I'd suggest a relatively narrow saddle that while not hard, is very firm.  Most tourers, folks that spend a lot of time on their bikes, swear by Brooks leather saddles.  They take a while to break in and there will be some initial discomfort, but once they've conformed toy your anantomy, you'll never go back.  They are, however, not designed for racing or fast riding but rather comfortable distance riding.  JMO.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 3
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2012, 3:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Saddles are like boots, it's all about the fit.  I like my  Specialized Alias, but your mileage may vary...

Try talking to Andy at Ultimate sports in Grove City, he should have some good advice for you.

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 4
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2012, 3:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When I upgraded, the advice I got at the shop (besides to get one with appropriate cut-outs) was to start with the cheapest house model and trade it in if I didn't like it.  I'm now on the second iteration of that same saddle, some 15,000 miles later (the first one split out the side this summer, I think from excessive sun and rain exposure on the back of the car the ten days driving out from SF to Boulder {and yes, we know there are more direct routes than that!}).   It is very comfy, not cushy, as Jer says--just a good fit.  I've ridden 3 Centuries on it, and been pretty comfortable the whole way.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2012, 4:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nashbar has a sale going on right now, and their knockoff saddles aren't bad...

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 6
LostSheep Search for posts by this member.
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 11:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i like my Specialized seat that came standard on my allez or the Aerone on my Giant bike.

I prefer the firmer saddles of the soft squishy ones.

Some bike shops have demo saddles where you can try them and get a discount if you buy.

If you still don't like it, look at Cobb Saddles.

--------------
Team Red, White & Blue’s vision is to transform the way wounded veterans are reintegrated into society when they return from combat and exit the Armed Services.

IT'S OUR TURN. Ask me how you can help.
 Post Number: 7
Colter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 8:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The best bicycle advice I ever got was from a bike shop who gave me a selection of saddles and told me to take a spin on each of them and pick the most comfortable one.

--------------
Alone Across Alaska: 1000 Miles of Wilderness
Please check out my story and photos!

Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
6 replies since Nov. 24 2012, 11:41 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply new bike seat suggestions
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions