2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Feet Issues< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
JessyJ03 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 12:08 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello All. During my hiking season (typically Oct-Apr) I hike 25-30 mi a week. Problem is I crashed my car a few weeks ago and I've had to transition to road walking.

I have no pain in my feet when hiking but after 3 days and 15 miles I'm having some major pain in the side of my foot! Should I change my insoles? I know I already have plantar fasciitis in the heels but that isn't bothering me (more than usual).

I'm currently wearing NB Trail Runners. I wear these for everyday use (they are super comfortable!). Also my shoes are around 1/2 size too big (for swelling during hiking).

Thanks for your help!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 1:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Where on the side of your foot are you talking about?  And how do you like the NB trail runners?  I have had pain in the side of my foot for almost 3 years and have had 3 cortisone shots and am looking at the NB for winter running up here.  Need a wide shoe.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 2:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

About an inch below my pinky toe on the top of the foot.

I like the NB a lot. They work well for trail walking and the grip is fantastic. Only problem I've had with them is they are ripping a bit at the top. Though this doesn't cause any issues.

The shoe itself isn't a wide shoe but it's built pretty wide. I have a wide foot myself but this shoe fits perfectly. I purchased mine at Sports Authority and they had half sizes which was nice.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 2:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JessyJ03 @ Nov. 28 2012, 2:07 pm)
About an inch below my pinky toe on the top of the foot.

I like the NB a lot. They work well for trail walking and the grip is fantastic. Only problem I've had with them is they are ripping a bit at the top. Though this doesn't cause any issues.

The shoe itself isn't a wide shoe but it's built pretty wide. I have a wide foot myself but this shoe fits perfectly. I purchased mine at Sports Authority and they had half sizes which was nice.

Do you mean the knuckle?  Mine hurts on the outside below my pinky. Like a bunion on the opposite side.  I bruised or inflamed it while wearing Sketchers on vacation, if you can believe that.  Just won't heal.  Went barefoot pretty much all summer and it helped. But in Maine, in the winter, thats out.  I slit my shoes where it hurts.  Per my dr.  He says the stitching for the seams is what does it.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 2:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes right around the knuckle area.. though a bit higher up as well. Going barefoot in Az is dangerous so that's probably out for me as well. Like I said I've had no problems on trails with these shoes.... just on the road.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 2:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JessyJ03 @ Nov. 28 2012, 2:26 pm)
Yes right around the knuckle area.. though a bit higher up as well. Going barefoot in Az is dangerous so that's probably out for me as well. Like I said I've had no problems on trails with these shoes.... just on the road.

Strange.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 7
LordTemplar Search for posts by this member.
LordTemplar

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 5:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had Plantar Fasciitis and wore hard, 3/4 orthoses for years.  They work wonders.  They should probably help with the toe problem.

Are you going to a Pediatrist?  They can really help!

Not to belittle anyone's opinion, but I found the NB 978s to be terrible.  I got a half size up and they are still too short and too wide.  The fitter had no idea what she was doing.  In the store they felt fine, but since I could quit wearing my orthoses my feet have gotten longer.  I got them home and wore them for a week and my large toes were so painful afterwards that I could hardly walk.  I do not recommend them.

I now wear Salomon Trail Running shoes for working out in.  They are very comfortable and are built on a European Last.  This Last is the one that fits me best.

--------------
"Break On Through To The Other Side"--Jim Morrison
 Post Number: 8
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 11:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Most roads are sloped down to the outside. If you always walk on the right or left side you are always walking on the same slant. Sidewalks may be level but are much harder than roads. Try sitting in barefeet and rolling a soup can with your foot. This helps massage the bottom of the foot.
I do not like my new balance trail runners. I got mine on sale online. They felt so good at first, I bought a second pair. After some wear they seem to have stretched and are so wide my foot shifts way to the outside. I have been experimenting with different insoles and I think I just hit on something that feels better. Time will tell. They sure aren't the shoe they used to be.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2012, 12:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thought you'd all like to know I've since purchased new insoles for the shoes but that didn't seem to help. So I removed them and put on my North Face hiking boots and I've been wearing those instead (with the new insoles inside). My feet are MUCH better. No pain at all. I also started wearing my Wool hiking socks every day. The extra cushion seems to do wonders for my feet.

Thanks so much for the help everyone.
 Post Number: 10
skolbe Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2012, 9:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am a runner and a backpacker I think you need the heavier shoe and socks. Also for plantar fasciatus, make sure you do toe raises daily. It is very helpful. Beefed up running shoes are not the best for hiking.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 12:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think OnO may be onto something. That sounds rather like the pain I developed when I let my big toe joint get so bad I was compensating, rolling my foot outward to avoid striking the sore joint.  Walking the side of the road might cause a similar outward roll.

Glad you have found a solution; maybe the boots keep your foot more stable?

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 12
LordTemplar Search for posts by this member.
LordTemplar

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 11:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JessyJ03 @ Nov. 28 2012, 2:26 pm)

Glad to hear of your relief.

--------------
"Break On Through To The Other Side"--Jim Morrison
11 replies since Nov. 28 2012, 12:08 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Feet Issues
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions