2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Help out the new guy< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Fester Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 1:27 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey all, I need help getting ready for a "bucket list" hike I have planned for the summer of 2014 . I plan on a full five days in Rocky Mountain National Park above Estes Park Colo, just me and my Rotty.

I will be using a Kelty Trekker 65 frame pack as I like the idea of being able to add bags of this or that to the outside of the frame.

Anyway, before my mind strays too far, I need some ideas for getting in shape. So, about me. I am 45 yrs old, weigh in at 300 pounds right now ( 40 waist & 54 chest ) I am 6'2" tall. I have been "hiking" around my neighbor hood at night, averaging about 5 miles in 2hours pace. I am doing this 3 to 4 nights a week, weather permitting.

I have access to a local gym @ 20.00 a month, including unlimited Zumba, spinning, and various other classes, plus the usual free and machine weights, steam room ( no pool ). Should I look more into it?

What excersizes should I be concentrating on to get back into over all general shape and hiking shape?  Thanks. . . .

--------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 5:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Welcome and good luck.  If your gym has a personal trainer, it's worth it to have them help you develop a plan.  It's also a VERY good idea to go see your doc now to get an assesment of your overall health.  With all due respect, I don't think I've ever met a 300lb man that didn't have knee and back pain.  Take this slowly before an injury stops your training.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 3
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 1:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Welcome to the site Fester. I'm sure you will get a lot of good information. One reason is that this is the internet and everyone has their opinion or what worked for them. You could also search places like google, bling, etc and get thousands of links/answers.  I could give you links to half a dozen sites I like or have used. I will share with you some of my opinion.
It is a good idea before starting an exercise program to check with a doc. I didn't.
The best way to get in shape for backpacking is to backpack. Walking is fine but walking with a backpack is better. We should start exercising where we are and increase until we get were we want to be. Right now you are walking 5 miles and you want to be able to walk with a heavy pack all day in rough terrain. Change up your walking to include speed, hills, and distance. Intervals can be done walking, you just vary your speed so some is done faster. Then you can add the pack say once a week. Start with 10# and 3 miles and add weight and miles. Next you should take the pack to a trail and after you can hike 8 miles with 35# pack you might want to try getting off the trail onto some uneven/ hard terrain. Don't add too much too fast and get hurt.
Gyms are a good thing but not needed. You can get stronger with a few simple exercises. Squats and lunges help the legs. You can add weight with the pack or cement blocks.
Pushups build the chest and arms. Remember start where you are. If like me you can't do any or many regular pushups with toes and hands on the floor, raise the hands. Put your hands on the wall, the kitchen counter, a 20" bench, the third step, or the bottom step. If 50 pushups are no problem, raise the feet.
Lie on your belly and lift both arms and legs off the floor, return, repeat. If this is too hard, lie on floor lift head and chest keeping arms and legs on the floor. This works the low back.
The plank is great for abs/core, get in pushup position in the up with arms straight and back straight. Hold as long as you can. You can also do other things for the abs like crunches etc.
Chinups, assisted if needed or bent over rows for the upper back.
Good luck with the exercise, the hiking, the dream trip, and sorting through all the info/opinions.
 Post Number: 4
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 2:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Welcome aboard.  I'm going to go against what Oldnolder said and say hiking with weight is a bad idea at our age.  Hike with a daypack with whatever you would normally bring, but I'd argue against adding dead weight, at least until you build your fitness level.  I'd walk and hike over as much varied terrain as possible.  Gym workouts would also be good.  Running is excellent if you can work up to that.  

I would also like to mention that you will have to find another place to hike if you want to take your dog.  RMNP does not allow pets in the backcountry.

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 5
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 3:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK...I am going to say it.  Please don't think I am jsut being cruel.

You will need to lose weight...a lot of weight.  I would say at least 50 lbs.  Otherwise you will be doing 2-3 mile days, which I doubt is what you had in mind.

As you are losing the weight I would work on core strength and leg strength.  Cardio is good, but since you are going alone, you can take all the time you need to catch your breath.  If your back and knees are screaming they won't stop.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 6
LostSheep Search for posts by this member.
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 5:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Welcome!

I think you've gotten some great advice and should at least consider what's been mentioned.

Definitely go and have a routine checkup at the dr. Tell him your intentions and have him do a blood panel and lookover to make sure it's okay.

Start slow. Don't plan on going out and busing out 6mi hikes every day when he says "go".

If you can, get out and hike your local day hikes. Walk lots. Occasionally throw in some stairs.

If you choose to use your gym, check in w/ the personal trainer (that's what they're there for) and let them get you started.

Come back and keep up updated. Your hike sounds awesome!

--------------
Team Red, White & Blue’s vision is to transform the way wounded veterans are reintegrated into society when they return from combat and exit the Armed Services.

IT'S OUR TURN. Ask me how you can help.
 Post Number: 7
JessyJ03 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 8:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(frihauf @ Dec. 18 2012, 3:08 pm)
OK...I am going to say it.  Please don't think I am jsut being cruel.

You will need to lose weight...a lot of weight.  I would say at least 50 lbs.  Otherwise you will be doing 2-3 mile days, which I doubt is what you had in mind.

As you are losing the weight I would work on core strength and leg strength.  Cardio is good, but since you are going alone, you can take all the time you need to catch your breath.  If your back and knees are screaming they won't stop.

Ben

Cruel... no... misinformed yes.

My husband is 6"7 and started using hiking with me as a way for weight loss last year. At 440 lbs (yes that's right) he was hiking 2-4 miles. After a few months of 4-5x a week hiking he was up to 5 miles with a 10-15 lb pack.

Fast forward a bit over a year and this season he's down 150 lbs and sitting at a comfortable 289 and able to go 7 miles easily without much effort. I'm sure he could pull a 10-15 mile day if he wanted to.

Losing weight will of course help you out. Walking, hiking  and all around fitness will help make things easier. Weight lifting helped me greatly with building strength in my legs, back, and arms. Mostly my advice is get out and walk!! Even if you don't lose a single pound if you work on your cardio your hiking experience will be MUCH more enjoyable.
 Post Number: 8
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 6:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Fester, Welcome to the forums.

"I plan on a full five days in Rocky Mountain National Park above Estes Park Colo, just me and my Rotty."

I assume this quote means you want to do the hike with your pup? If you're doing the hike inside the National Park boundary, you might want to do a little research. Rocky Mountain National Park doesn't allow dogs.

Being a "bucket list" hike for you, it would suck for you to get all of your permits, get here and realize you can't do the hike.
 Post Number: 9
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 8:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Look through the history in this forum about loosing weight and getting into shape.

You belong to a gym GREAT!.  This is going to take some self discipline and a few months.  Walking is fine now and you should continue to breeze around the neighborhood or on medium grade trails carrying only a jacket, water and a few protein snacks.  You main goal now is to loose quite a bit of weight.  Don't do a heavy pack yet.  Well, never actually - until you have to.

Your days of sugar and alcohol are limited.  Not allowed.  Diet drinks are fine.  The rest of the 'diet' will make you feel pretty good about it tho.  You want to plan on a non aerobic (meaning running/jogging or bike riding) or any other aerobic activity that will take energy away from your weight lifting program.  If you have enough energy for a 30 min treadmill, stairs or other things that make you pant for a long time, put it into a couple more repetitions of a weight or resistance program outlined by a trainer.  If he/she is good you will be very tired at the end of a session.  

Your plan should include 75% of your effort on muscles below your belly button and the remainder on large muscles above it.  Spend your time on the largest muscles because over time they will give you the most weight loss for amount of effort.  Your leg muscles are your prime target.  The idea is to have them be energized to produce muscle and use fat to do it.  I suspect the trainer will agree that 6 day week (alternate lower and upper muscle workouts) with a day off will work for you - assuming you have no health restrictions.

To maintain a weight loss regime like that you will have to eat at least as much as you are eating now - assuming you have had a constant weight for the last few months.   The calories in the meals have to be spread out over 6 or 8 evenly sized (carbo's) meals.  You want the body to think it is not on a starvation diet, is getting plenty to produce enough energy to push weights around at the gym.  If it gets too little energy  the body will hunker down and use whatever you feed it to store away for the hard times coming up -- produce fat.  Check with the gym trainer on the types of foods and how much to let you exercise that much.

Lots of water.  LOTS!

After 8 weeks, you can start adding in some of the cardio you will need in the mountains.  You have plenty of time so don't rush it.  Wait until spring when it is nice out and you can enjoy it.

4 points

1 - Sustained weight resistance training to the point where you might feel too exhausted to take your pull over shirt off.  A good hour a day will do you.  You can boost it to longer after 8 weeks.  Take a day off each week. Don't work same muscles the next day.

2- Sustained controlled diet (higher protein, lower fat, medium carbo, no sugar/alcohol) portioned out over the day.  No binging.  If you eat out, no fried food, control the oils. salts and sugars.  Eat no white stuff at the restaurant. The trainer should suggest a daily calorie intake and types of foods.  Email me if you would like a list of meals for a couple of weeks.  An example meal might be 1/4lb sliced deli roast beef, between two slices of pumpernickel, lots of mustard, boiled egg, small serving of rice, slice of onion, carrot and lettuce.  You get 6 of this kind of a meal a day.  Won't be long before you will find it difficult to eat it all that often.

3 - While at early stages of weight loss, cut back on the energy used in cardio exercises.  You will get plenty of huffing and puffing pushing weights around.  Running, swimming and jogging, rowing, etc are for a different goal that you should not be working on just yet.  You won't loose weight with cardio exercises as fast as you will making large muscles work all day long for you after you exercise.

4 - Get a trainer to guide your progress and show you how to use the gear so you don't get injured or your body over used.  You should not have sore muscles if the trainer is doing his stuff right.

Use that trainer once a week and then skip a week once you get the hang of it.  You want their input on what to do and how to do it.  Its your homework to do it and get a look see from them once in awhile to make sure you are doing it right.   They are expensive.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 11:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey all, thanks for all the great tips! I will be seeing a Dr very soon, to get a complete once over ( my annual is due in Feb ), I have decided to join the gym at the beginning of the year, but they do not offer a trainer in a price range I can afford just yet. . . So that will be on hold for a bit more.

I am in luck on one point made, I do not have bad knees or back, YET! I did damage my knee back in 2005, but after a year plus of Chiropractic care, it is doing great. . . . . I plan to keep it that way.

When I go for my "walks" I currently keep it at a casual pace and carry about 25 lbs of gear in a day pack, plus 3 litters of water to drink (in my Osprey Raptor 10 pack)during my walk. I am also taking my dog with me on my walks most times, to get her in shape too as I hope to take her on my trip too. My walks are for two reasons,
1) to get in better shape and build stamina for this trip, and
2) to try to loose weight, my goal is 225 pounds, below that I look sick skinny, lol
By the way, my scales said 290 today ! ! ! Yay me !

--------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 11:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did not know that dogs are not allowed in the park area, I might have to look into moving the trip " outside " the park. . . .

Can you tell me, is the Big Thompson Canyon part of the RMNP ?  I have some history with that canyon and would not mind facing her again. . . .

Let her know she did not beat me before, and she never will! I was a survivor of the '76 flood. . . .

--------------
 Post Number: 12
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 11:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Fester @ Dec. 20 2012, 9:07 pm)
..My walks are for two reasons,
1) to get in better shape and build stamina for this trip, and
2) to try to loose weight, my goal is 225 pounds, below that I look sick skinny, lol
By the way, my scales said 290 today ! ! ! Yay me !

Also at your weight, just walking itself burns lots of additional calories.  Probably concentrate on the walking and cardio for now, maybe add some spinning classes to ease the pressure on the knee joints.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 13
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 22 2012, 8:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Fester @ Dec. 20 2012, 9:29 pm)
I did not know that dogs are not allowed in the park area, I might have to look into moving the trip " outside " the park. . . .

Dogs are not allowed in most National Parks.   It is not unique to RMNP.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 2:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thompson Flood.  Wow! You must have an interesting story, goal and life.

Gym rats are very expensive.  Find somebody (or somebodies) who really care for you and would love to see you pushing 225 around and put out some very large hints that what you would really like is your body back.  When my family wanted ideas for gifts for me, it was $25 REI gift certificates.  When I got enough of them, I'd get what I wanted and thanked them all from the bottom of my heart for EXACTLY the right gift.

An hour to start with somebody to give you a short course and what to do and why.  Then a brush up once every other week or so.  If you don't like what you are getting, fire them...or just don't hire anymore time.

You do need to know what you are doing so you don't waste your time or hurt yourself.

http://www.exrx.net/

Is a good link to a lot of everything.  Start out with the BEGINNERS PAGE and start by reading down the left hand column.

You want to cause your muscles to build reconstructive tissue using your body's assets to do it.  The bigger the muscle involved the more you loose.  And it works at night while you sleep.  You need plenty of rest, the right kinds and amount of food and lots of water - and a positive attitude.

You might find that you loose inches around your waist before you notice you are loosing pounds.  Muscle is denser than fat.  Pound for pound it takes up less space.

Weigh yourself every two weeks to begin with.   Then once a week to give you confidence you really are going down hill - weight wise.  You might have your pup checked by a vet as well.  Make sure it is up to speed with you.  Don't forget they have to acclimate to high altitude as much as you do.

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 25 2012, 11:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you know the tale of the Thompson flood, yes it was a ordeal. I was camped at the Blue Spruce Campground, right on the rivers edge. I woke up in the middle of the night to go to the restroom, and that alone is what saved me. As I was coming out to return to camp, the waters started to rise. . . FAST ! I lost a good friend that night so long ago, and have never forgot him. No he did not die, but he was never the same again, and the change separated us. We stayed in touch, and he later died at he hands of a serial killer in California.

I am not walking as much right now due to weather, but am still walking. I am drinking LOTS of water as has been suggested by many. I average about two gallons a day right now, maybe more.
I will be joining the health club right after the first, so I can continue to work out / walk no matter what the weather.

--------------
 Post Number: 16
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 9:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Careful with the water intake. Too much can lead to water intoxication (which reduces the natural biological gradients in the body relating to sodium). This gradient is vital to your health.

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm

Most people only need about 3 quarts per day. If you're drinking that much you should be supplementing sodium and your vitamins and minerals.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 2:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for that link, I was not aware it was possible to drink too much water!

--------------
 Post Number: 18
LordTemplar Search for posts by this member.
LordTemplar

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 7:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am very familiar with Hyponatremia (water intoxication).  I drink water when I am nervous and because the medication I take for certain ailments causes my mouth to crack.  I have been struggling with it for years.  Be aware of extreme joint pain and hit the hospital if you have it.  It is one of the major symptoms of Hyponatremia.  The disease can also cause your brain synapses to misfire due to lack of salt.

I currently weigh in at 346 lbs and am working out to cut weight.  I have done it many times due to my powerlifting days.  I would also add to what the others say, that is work out at the gym on legs and core.  You should also add upper body strength to your list because it can come in handy.

Even with my weight, though, I can hike 18 miles a day and carry a super heavy pack, about 70 lbs, although I don't.  That comes from the years of weightlifting.

Above all, be happy and love what you are doing.  The mental strength that you should gain through hiking, backpacking and working out in the gym will help as much as anything.  Be Bull Headed

--------------
"Break On Through To The Other Side"--Jim Morrison
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 7:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lordtemplar, first off, LOVE the pic !

Next , thanks for the heads up on knee / joint pain . I will keep an eye on it !

--------------
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 8:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, missed about two almost three weeks of my walking due to weather being cold, went out last night for about three miles and my legs, knees, and ankles where killing me after wards ! Time to kick it in gear and get back at it !

--------------
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 10:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, we joined a health club ( http://www.planetfitness.com/ ) and are happy with it so far. It is not a body builder type gym, just a good ol get back in shape place. The wife and I are both happy with it so far. . . . We'll see how it goes from here.

One step at a time, right?

--------------
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2013, 1:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good first step.  Just try to follow their advice.  Important to start with, anyway, just so that you do things correctly and reduce the chance of injury or overdoing it.

Good luck to both of you.  Now you both have a workout 'buddy'.  Nice to have somebody that you count on to be there every time. :)

BIG step...

--------------
21 replies since Dec. 18 2012, 1:27 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Help out the new guy
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions