2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Knee Replacement, Anybody?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 12:43 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All,

Has anybody had a knee replacement, or someone you know?  It appears that it is time for me.  Just looking for info or feedback, tips, etc...

Thanks

--------------
Nature bats last!

Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 1:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thinking about changing your moniker?  LOL

My best friend from working days had both of his knees replaced this year.  Took about 6 months between surgeries.  I do not know if that was his choice, or protocol.  He spent some time making sure he was doing the PT right, and now is wondering what took him so long to make the decision.  No more pain, and getting around is so much easier.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 1:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Unfortunately, I know way too many people with new knees.  Results vary considerably.  Those who were in good shape before the surgery and were aggressively diligent with rehab seem to do the best.  Even that is no guarantee, though.  Mrs. big_load's gym buddy just had her second knee done and is having a much harder time than the first.  She went back in for adjustments last week.  Her mom's boyfriend had a replacement at age 84 and was out riding his bike again in a few days.  He never had any complications.  My aunt didn't seem to get any benefit from her replacement, but she is sedentary and has other problems.  Most of the other people I know are somewhere in between.
 Post Number: 4
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 2:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bad knees @ Dec. 29 2012, 12:43 pm)
It appears that it is time for me.

Sorry to hear that, best of luck with it. Will you need to change your screen name?  ???

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 2:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JRinGeorgia @ Dec. 29 2012, 2:11 pm)

(bad knees @ Dec. 29 2012, 12:43 pm)
It appears that it is time for me.

Sorry to hear that, best of luck with it. Will you need to change your screen name?  ???

Maybe to "new knees"?   :D

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 2:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Dec. 29 2012, 1:31 pm)
Unfortunately, I know way too many people with new knees.  Results vary considerably.  Those who were in good shape before the surgery and were aggressively diligent with rehab seem to do the best.  Even that is no guarantee, though.  Mrs. big_load's gym buddy just had her second knee done and is having a much harder time than the first.  She went back in for adjustments last week.  Her mom's boyfriend had a replacement at age 84 and was out riding his bike again in a few days.  He never had any complications.  My aunt didn't seem to get any benefit from her replacement, but she is sedentary and has other problems.  Most of the other people I know are somewhere in between.

I'm 52 and in good shape.  Running up till last month.  Gym.  Ride when the weather is warmer.  Lost 16 lbs and still more to come.  Think I better get in serious shape prior to.  

Went for a dayhike in the woods today.  1.5  mile out and 1.5  back.  Took forever to get back.  Thought I wasn't going to make it.  An easy hike at that.  Bumming!  :(

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 7
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 3:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bad knees @ Dec. 29 2012, 2:21 pm)
I'm 52 and in good shape.  Running up till last month.  Gym.  Ride when the weather is warmer.  Lost 16 lbs and still more to come.  Think I better get in serious shape prior to.

Great! Get as light as possible beforehand and stay fit. Makes recovery/rehab much, much easier.

Find a surgeon that does a lot of knees...you want the one who could do them upside down and backwards in zero-gravity. If possible, work with a practice that does a lot of sports medicine rather than the one who does the knees for the local nursing home. It helps significantly when your medical providers' expectations of your future function are the same as yours.

Final results tend to correlate closely with how much work you put into doing the PT correctly, but you're going to hear that a bazillion times.  :)
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 3:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(fifeplayer @ Dec. 29 2012, 3:47 pm)

(bad knees @ Dec. 29 2012, 2:21 pm)

Great! Get as light as possible beforehand and stay fit. Makes recovery/rehab much, much easier.

Find a surgeon that does a lot of knees...you want the one who could do them upside down and backwards in zero-gravity. If possible, work with a practice that does a lot of sports medicine rather than the one who does the knees for the local nursing home. It helps significantly when your medical providers' expectations of your future function are the same as yours.

Final results tend to correlate closely with how much work you put into doing the PT correctly, but you're going to hear that a bazillion times.  :)

Yeah  it is a sports ortho group.  He does a lot of them for active people like me.  He says the quality of life improves big time.  Can't get much worse.  Famous last words.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 9
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 8:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My mom did here knees several years back.  She had more than 20 years on you, and while her outcome has been very good (pretty much took care of the pain and restored mobility) (she worked very hard on her PT) she did make two mistakes you are in a position to avoid.  Well, actually they were one mistake.  She waited too long.  As a result, she was badly out of shape before and (being old, because--wait for it--she waited too long) it has been pretty much impossible for her to regain her fitness.  I have reached the point of telling her that at 84 she can be lazy if she damned well wants to.

But the knees--that worked great.  She did have some issues with a nerve in one knee (she did both the same day) that caused some pain/discomfort for quite a while.  It has gradually faded to a non-problem.  So I guess I just wanted to say--don't wait, and if things aren't perfect as fast as you'd like, don't give up.  Bodies heal and adapt, eventually.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 9:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Dec. 29 2012, 8:54 pm)
My mom did here knees several years back.  She had more than 20 years on you, and while her outcome has been very good (pretty much took care of the pain and restored mobility) (she worked very hard on her PT) she did make two mistakes you are in a position to avoid.  Well, actually they were one mistake.  She waited too long.  As a result, she was badly out of shape before and (being old, because--wait for it--she waited too long) it has been pretty much impossible for her to regain her fitness.  I have reached the point of telling her that at 84 she can be lazy if she damned well wants to.

But the knees--that worked great.  She did have some issues with a nerve in one knee (she did both the same day) that caused some pain/discomfort for quite a while.  It has gradually faded to a non-problem.  So I guess I just wanted to say--don't wait, and if things aren't perfect as fast as you'd like, don't give up.  Bodies heal and adapt, eventually.

I think i am going to wait a year and then do it.  They used to say not before 60, but now they say younger.  Scared and excited.  I want to hike the mtns again.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 11
LordTemplar Search for posts by this member.
LordTemplar

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2012, 8:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My mother did both knees at once too and her knees are fine, but the rest of her at 82 are is not in good shape and she has neuropathy, not from the knees.  She is glad she did it.

I also have to have my knees replaced and I am 48.  I am in the middle of losing 146 lbs.  So far it isn't coming off very easily and I have never been fat!  I am going to get them done as fast as possible.  

One tip, make sure that they give you "custom" knees.  They aren't really customized for one person, but are shaped for different body structures and genders.

--------------
"Break On Through To The Other Side"--Jim Morrison
 Post Number: 12
TexasDesertRat Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2012, 10:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My Dad had both knees replaced at the same time about 7 years ago, he was 62 at the time. Being always active with a physically demanding job, he rehabbed quickly... within 6 weeks he was back to work on light duty, within 12 weeks he was back on the drilling rig floor, climbing ladders while carrying a load... Now he's 70 years old and gets around great... but now he has a few back issues that are a result of waiting too long to get his knees done.

--------------
Human Spirit of Adventure
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2012, 12:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(LordTemplar @ Dec. 30 2012, 8:20 am)
My mother did both knees at once too and her knees are fine, but the rest of her at 82 are is not in good shape and she has neuropathy, not from the knees.  She is glad she did it.

I also have to have my knees replaced and I am 48.  I am in the middle of losing 146 lbs.  So far it isn't coming off very easily and I have never been fat!  I am going to get them done as fast as possible.  

One tip, make sure that they give you "custom" knees.  They aren't really customized for one person, but are shaped for different body structures and genders.

Custom knees?  I'll check that out.  Thanks.  

PS the Atkins diet got 16 lbs off me fast.  just tough to work out without the carbs.  I am going back on it after the holidays.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 14
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2013, 8:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm repeating much of what others have alerted you to, but I wanted to alert you to something that happened to my b-in-law.

His first knee replacement and rehab went fine.

Second one didn't (Same doc, same therapy).

He was having a lot of pain, and felt some movement the first did not have.  Doc said "that's the way it goes" sometimes.

After several follow-ups, went to a second doc who examined him and said the hardware in knee was wrong size.  Insurance would not pay for replacement until a year had passed from the first.

Year passes, 2nd doc did a replacement, knee is now doing fine.

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 15
BaseballNut Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 6:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey bad knees, I had my knee replaced Nov 2007 and it was a great decision. I was only 48 at the time but had 98 percent osteoarthritis and was wearing a knee brace for years. Finally couldn't stand living in pain. Doctors wanted me to wait...F that!

As promised, the knee replacement went well. Dr. was great. Physical Therapist kicked my butt. I would walk in and crawl out.
I did the treadmill everyday at home. Sometimes with a pack on, sometimes off. Took about 6 months before I felt like I was getting somewhere physically. I will admit that at first I was disappointed with the TKR. But then something happened. I don't know, perhaps it was that I was no longer wearing a knee brace. Or using pain meds. But i was free...free from pain and concern over my knee and past limitations.

I had hiked Maroon Bells in August before the TKR. Pack weighed 35 lbs. Hated every minute. Was in pain all the time. Was the straw that put me over.

1 year later I was hiking in the Grand Tetons. pack weight was still 35 lbs, but it felt like nothing.

It has been 7 years since the operation and I am very happy with my knee.
In 2009 went to Alaska and hiked McGonnagal Glacier - always wanted to go but wouldn't before the operation. Great hike! 40 miles, pack weight 40 lbs.
In 2010 hiked from Bowman Lake  to Long Pass in Glacier. 58 miles, pack weight 45 lbs (ah, bear canisters).
Wish the rest of my body was as strong as my knee!

Good luck. I would try to lose weight before the operation. However, as someone who once weighed 285 lbs and tried every diet known to man, diets don't work. I lost the weight hiking more and eating less. Went from 285 to 220 lbs and have kept the weight off for 13 years now.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 8:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BaseballNut @ Jan. 29 2013, 6:43 am)
Hey bad knees, I had my knee replaced Nov 2007 and it was a great decision. I was only 48 at the time but had 98 percent osteoarthritis and was wearing a knee brace for years. Finally couldn't stand living in pain. Doctors wanted me to wait...F that!

As promised, the knee replacement went well. Dr. was great. Physical Therapist kicked my butt. I would walk in and crawl out.
I did the treadmill everyday at home. Sometimes with a pack on, sometimes off. Took about 6 months before I felt like I was getting somewhere physically. I will admit that at first I was disappointed with the TKR. But then something happened. I don't know, perhaps it was that I was no longer wearing a knee brace. Or using pain meds. But i was free...free from pain and concern over my knee and past limitations.

I had hiked Maroon Bells in August before the TKR. Pack weighed 35 lbs. Hated every minute. Was in pain all the time. Was the straw that put me over.

1 year later I was hiking in the Grand Tetons. pack weight was still 35 lbs, but it felt like nothing.

It has been 7 years since the operation and I am very happy with my knee.
In 2009 went to Alaska and hiked McGonnagal Glacier - always wanted to go but wouldn't before the operation. Great hike! 40 miles, pack weight 40 lbs.
In 2010 hiked from Bowman Lake  to Long Pass in Glacier. 58 miles, pack weight 45 lbs (ah, bear canisters).
Wish the rest of my body was as strong as my knee!

Good luck. I would try to lose weight before the operation. However, as someone who once weighed 285 lbs and tried every diet known to man, diets don't work. I lost the weight hiking more and eating less. Went from 285 to 220 lbs and have kept the weight off for 13 years now.

Thanks for the good report.  I'll pull the trigger one of these days.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 17
Slack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 11:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

My Dad has had both of his knees replaced. He is now 76 years old. He is a cowboy. He still rides and ropes. He breaks horses for a living. He can get around better than most people his age. He hikes daily. So knee replacements can go well. Good luck.
16 replies since Dec. 29 2012, 12:43 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Knee Replacement
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions