2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 1112345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: 2013 Fitness Updates, New Year / New Goals< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 1:09 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi All,

Happy New Year!

Starting a thread to track our fitness progress for 2013. Feel free to post what your goals are, what your diet and fitness achievments are, etc.

I had a bad end to 2012, so I want to gain momentum in 2013 and keep that momentum.

Good luck everyone!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 2:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh, yeah. Duh. My re-post from the 2012 thread:

I signed-up for the Megatransect. Now I've got MOTIVATION!

https://ultrahike.com/About_the_Mega.php

This will be me on the trail (start at 2:00):

Now I just need a 12-lb musket to carry.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 3
LostSheep Search for posts by this member.
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 4:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just really really want a year injury free :)

That and I want to successfully hit my racing times/goals.

--------------
Team Red, White & Blue’s vision is to transform the way wounded veterans are reintegrated into society when they return from combat and exit the Armed Services.

IT'S OUR TURN. Ask me how you can help.
 Post Number: 4
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 4:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Jan. 02 2013, 2:16 pm)

Registration was a real treat, huh?

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 5:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Talus. @ Jan. 02 2013, 4:57 pm)

Yeah... extra fun since I was going to the movie theater. Luckily, MudRat was able to sign me up.

Were you able to sign up?

--------------
 Post Number: 6
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 6:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm 5'7, 195lbs and stronger than I've ever been with a 34" waist.  My goal for the year is to trim back body fat even further and see if I can get my high blood pressure under control without medicine.  As soon as I can get a digital copy of it, I'll post my workout routine.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 6:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Jan. 02 2013, 5:30 pm)

(Talus. @ Jan. 02 2013, 4:57 pm)

Yeah... extra fun since I was going to the movie theater. Luckily, MudRat was able to sign me up.

Were you able to sign up?

Yeah my wife and her friend and I are in.  I've got the week before off and I'm ready to roll!

My training advice is to work on the quads.  The downhills are nasty.

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 9:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Can't wait to watch the progress of the Mega-trans-crazies. Ya'll know you're nuts, right? :D

I'm just jealous cuz I wish I could do that. lol
 Post Number: 9
skolbe Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 9:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Plan to run 500 miles, hike 150 miles, bike 600 miles. 195 lbs and 6'2". Was 220 lbs a couple years ago.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10
WBrim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 10:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Heres my repost with 2013
I started the year off with a 6 mile run with some friends. 12° out and it felt good.  Then signed up for two races when I got home Fort to Base a 10 Nautical mile race  that benefits armed service persons and Fox Valley Marathon running along the Fox River west of Chicago.
I'm going to hit the gym with a renewed vigor the rest of this winter. The plan is to end the summer with a bang. 10 nautical mile Armed services benefit race on Aug. 25th, marathon Sept 22, marathon on Nov. 10 then maybe a half marathon in Vegas the next week. A large group of my running friends want to do a road trip together so to speak. I'm more interested in the Armed services run, the two marathons, a nearby Turkey Trot Half that I like, as I don't really have any interest in going to Vegas.
Planning is also in progress for some local Backpacking trips and an overnight canoe trip or two. I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew.

Still jealous of the Megatransect people.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 4:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looking ahead, I'm hoping to keep improving my race times and maybe move up to a 50 miler by year's end.  So far I'm signed up for my second 50K in April, first road marathon in May and the Mega in September.  Looks like longer work hours are coming, so I'm hoping that won't cut into training time too much.

--------------
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 12
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 10:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I sat down to figure goals for the coming year and I have some tenative ones. I do most of my cardio on my bike now cause even walking much hurts my knees. I had a great year for me on the bike in 2012. 820 miles was way over my goal but am I nuts to try to almost double that to 1500 for next year. I will see what happens in Jan. on the stationary bike. I also hope to up the walking miles too. I might even find time to do some swimming. My goal is to lift weights just once a week. See what happens with that. Sometimes things like that video make me sad that I can't run like that anymore but I enjoy my time on the bike trails and roads. Good luck to all this year.
 Post Number: 13
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In addition to the usuals, lose weight/eat better, I have set a goal to walk my dog 2 miles every morning.  Doesn't sound like a lot, but I'm not a morning person.  AT ALL!  We're 4 days in and it's going well. This was driven less by fitness goals than the letter from my condo association with a complaint about barking :(  Message received....Bailey needs more exercise!  Hopefully when it's a bit warmer and not so dark at 6:30 am, we'll do some 3 or 4 mile mornings, too.  Mama's gotta break the snooze button habit first!

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 14
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 3:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Get under 200lbs and stay there.

Last time I was under 200lbs was 20 yrs ago.

Been going steadily down since 2001. (dropped 65lbs in 10 years) I got 15 to go be back under 200. I have had a good push the last couple of weeks shedding 5 in the last 10 weeks.
 Post Number: 15
hoosierdaddy Search for posts by this member.
Trophy spouse

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 8:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Getting my butt kicked at the end of week 1 of 3 weeks of a shoulder/arm/back routine.  100 pushups and 50 wide pull ups per day, every day for 6-days, then 1 day off.  I added in 3 sets of 12 reps of lateral raises, biceps curl, face pull and triceps extensions.

5000mg of Glutamine post workout helps a little, but my chest, lats and serratus anteriors are screaming at me right now.

Too damn cold to ride my bike right now, so I'm concentrating on the gym.

--------------
God, I am going to regret this someday!
 Post Number: 16
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 11:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

2012 summary:
Biked 2,413 miles, plus all the grocery runs on my other bike (something approaching 300 miles in 2-mile round trips).
Swam 2140 laps, which is my pool is just under 67 miles, well under the 2 miles/week I shoot for, but there are many weeks when I don't swim because we are on the road or trail.
My running was too pathetic to even total up.

I'm starting 2013 with several weeks of inactivity, though I will be back in the pool as soon as the MD says I can (when the incision in my foot is healed, which will take I think 2-3 weeks).  I"m not sure when I'll be back to biking, and running is still an unknown for so many reasons.  My goal for the year is to lose all the weight I will gain while being unable to work out (OTOH: won't be able to just cruise through the kitchen and grab a snack for a while, either.  Maybe Mom will feed me servings the size she eats, in which case I can lose weight.  And once she goes home we may all starve).

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 11:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rebecca, I think I missed it. What did you have done with your foot? I was back in the pool 2 weeks after my surgeries. About 2 months after I was on the bicycle.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 4:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm sayin' those buckskins might chafe...

--------------
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 19
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 5:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MsDoolittle @ Jan. 04 2013, 8:07 am)
Rebecca, I think I missed it. What did you have done with your foot? I was back in the pool 2 weeks after my surgeries. About 2 months after I was on the bicycle.

I did more or less the same thing you did.  A Waterman-Green bunionectomy, with added fun when he had to reconstruct a bit of cartalidge (I cannot and never will be able to spell that word!) that seems to have gone missing--I added arthritis to the bone spurs that needed to get out of there.

I get the stitches out at 14 days and hope that means I'll be able to swim.  

At the moment, by the way it feels, I'm pretty sure he removed my toe and stuck it back on with duct tape.  I hate pain pills, too :p

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 20
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 7:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good luck with the foot healing RD.  My 1st week of the year is over, nothing new.
30  walk 1 mile, shovel snow and clean cars.
31  st. bike 8 miles, walk 1 mile, and lift weights, total body
01  nada
02  nada
03  st. bike 8 miles, walk 1 mile on tm, and lift weights upper body
04  yoga, qi gong, stretch
05  walk 2 miles in snow, hard.
next week I"ll try to bike 8 mi 3 days, walk a cpl, and lift at least once.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 7:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Jan. 05 2013, 3:01 pm)

(MsDoolittle @ Jan. 04 2013, 8:07 am)

I did more or less the same thing you did.  A Waterman-Green bunionectomy, with added fun when he had to reconstruct a bit of cartalidge (I cannot and never will be able to spell that word!) that seems to have gone missing--I added arthritis to the bone spurs that needed to get out of there.

I get the stitches out at 14 days and hope that means I'll be able to swim.  

At the moment, by the way it feels, I'm pretty sure he removed my toe and stuck it back on with duct tape.  I hate pain pills, too :p

Yep, that's a good way to described it.

Yeesh, you did that up good!

Hang in there, it will get better. Remember to get on your back and do air bicycle rotations with your legs. Gets the blood flowing and helps with healing.

Keep the foot elevated and keep icing it to help with the swelling.

And let me know if you'd like to use my cryocuff. Happy to lend it to you. :)
 Post Number: 22
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 10:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They didn't tell me to do any exercises.  I'm going to do some, but will go early easy until I talk to the MD on Tues.  I MUST do some crunches, tho, or my back will get bad.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 6:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good luck with the healing Rebecca.  Once you heal up, will you be able to do more running?

--------------
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 24
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 12:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Talus, I'm not sure about more running.  There are too many factors besides the feet--I have issues with my hips, too, and given the obvious arthritis the MD found when he got inside my toe, I may do well to gracefully (ha!) accept being a biker and swimmer and not a runner--save the joints for hiking.  

If that's the case, I'll be working on double centuries, not megatransects :)

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 25
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 1:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hoosierdaddy @ Jan. 03 2013, 8:38 pm)
Getting my butt kicked at the end of week 1 of 3 weeks of a shoulder/arm/back routine.  100 pushups and 50 wide pull ups per day, every day for 6-days, then 1 day off.  I added in 3 sets of 12 reps of lateral raises, biceps curl, face pull and triceps extensions.

5000mg of Glutamine post workout helps a little, but my chest, lats and serratus anteriors are screaming at me right now.

That's a heck of a routine Hoosier.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 26
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 10:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Week 1 was a good start to the year!  20 miles on our paws for the week :)

M - 2 mile walk
T - 2 mile walk  (12 degrees outside!!!)
W - 2 mile walk
Th - 2 mile walk, 45 minute strength/cardio class
F - 2 mile walk, 1 hour yoga class
Sa - 4.3 mile hike
Su - 5.9 mile hike

Pounds lost: 0   :(

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 27
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 11:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Give it time,  Firedancer!  Weight loss/body changes will  come with time, and you are on a good track here.  Kudos to the pup for getting you out!

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 28
LostSheep Search for posts by this member.
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 11:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Week 1 is in the books...

Mon 31 - nada
Tues 1 - nada
Wed 2 - Run 3mi, Strength 20mins
Thurs 3 - Run 4mi
Fri 4 - nada
Sat 5 - Run 7mi
Sun 6 - 30min strength (core)

I've signed up for my first race - 1/26. It's a krispy kreme challenge. Run 2mi, Eat 1 dozen doughnuts, Run 2mi back. If under 1hr, you get a shirt and a medal. If not, you only get a shirt.

Sound fun. I'm going to puke, but it's for a good cause, right? :)

I'm scratching my race this coming weekend (10mi) and the half marathon (feb) because I just don't think I'll successfully be ready without putting my body at a serious risk of injury.

I have other goals to get me through the year, and injury is not one of them.

--------------
Team Red, White & Blue’s vision is to transform the way wounded veterans are reintegrated into society when they return from combat and exit the Armed Services.

IT'S OUR TURN. Ask me how you can help.
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 3:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hectic week, but I made it to the gym 3 days.

I gotta stop evening/night snacking.

--------------
 Post Number: 30
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 4:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(LostSheep @ Jan. 07 2013, 8:58 am)
I've signed up for my first race - 1/26. It's a krispy kreme challenge. Run 2mi, Eat 1 dozen doughnuts, Run 2mi back. If under 1hr, you get a shirt and a medal. If not, you only get a shirt.

Sound fun. I'm going to puke, but it's for a good cause, right? :)

I'm scratching my race this coming weekend (10mi) and the half marathon (feb) because I just don't think I'll successfully be ready without putting my body at a serious risk of injury.

I have other goals to get me through the year, and injury is not one of them.

Do you get more points for puking or not puking?

Wise move to give yourself time.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
321 replies since Jan. 02 2013, 1:09 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 1112345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply 2013 Fitness Updates
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions