2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: workout when sick< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 11:16 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This has always been a question with me. How do you know when to skip a workout because of illness or not feeling well?  I have a stuffy head, kinda sinus infection a lot, so that symptom is hard to tell. If I feel a little achey all over or my legs hurt walking up the stairs, maybe from the hard workout 2 days ago. How do you tell if you're getting sick. When should you skip a workout? Can you just run,lift through a cold?
What do you do?
My head is all stuffed up. It is usually clear by now. I feel some pressure behind my eyes. My arms and legs ache a little. My leg muscles hurt walking up the stairs. I have a doc appointment tomorrow to get a flu shot and pnuemonia shot.  :p
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
LostSheep Search for posts by this member.
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 11:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's the easy answer: "If today's workout will jeopordize tomorrow's workout, it wasn't a smart idea."

Yea, that doesn't help. I know.

If it's just sinus and a headache, usually I can workout through it, and in many cases, I feel better afterwards.

Do your legs hurt from pain, or are they sore from a good workout. If they hurt, then pain is telling you no. If they're sore, something easy would probably be a good idea.

It's a loaded question really. There are some days where I feel like garbage, but have a good workout. Other days I try and just can't get my heart rate up and can't get going.... I'd bag it in that case.

--------------
Team Red, White & Blue’s vision is to transform the way wounded veterans are reintegrated into society when they return from combat and exit the Armed Services.

IT'S OUR TURN. Ask me how you can help.
 Post Number: 3
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 12:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you're asking the question, the answer is probably "No".

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 4
LordTemplar Search for posts by this member.
LordTemplar

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 7:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use to work out when I was almost dead with sinus infections and the like.  It is not really advisable because you go in tired due to trying to fight the infection and really don't get a good work out.  

If your joints and muscles ache you can still work out.  I suggest starting on a recumbent, stationary bike for 10 minutes.  Then go for a walk in the gym.  After that you should lift lightly.

--------------
"Break On Through To The Other Side"--Jim Morrison
 Post Number: 5
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 10:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As long as I'm not vomiting, I usually will try to stick to my workout schedule.  I may have to decrease reps or allow myself some mid-workout cool down periods, but I prefer to stay on schedule.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 6
WBrim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 11:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When I find myself just not being able to keep my head into what I'm doing at the gym. Just not wanting to be there and not paying attention to form and such I take a break. If I have bronhcial issues I just take a break for a couple of days or more if it isn't getting better. I do go use the steam room and occasionally the dry sauna when I have a cold. Sometimes that makes me feel better enough to go do some exercise. Taking a day off here and there isn't such a bad thing, it's when you start using any old excuss to skip a workout thats bad.
 Post Number: 7
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 11:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you are physically able to do it I'd go for it, without spreading the germs that is.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 8
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 3:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My rule of thumb for upper-respiratory stuff is to run through it unless I have a fever.  Anything over about 99, take a break--your body has more than enough to do.  But sinuses are often cleared (temporarily) by exercise, so you may end up feeling better.  

Aches, if not from yesterday's workout, often signal fever.

And, like Jim, if vomiting I stay in :D

Also, for headaches I sometimes have to skip it because the  jarring is just too much, or I can't focus well enough to bike safely.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9
bobcat Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 4:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One rule of thumb I have heard is:  if your cold symptoms are all from the neck up (ie mild sore throat, sinuses , earaches, headaches), then workouts are ok if you feel up to it.  Fever, body aches, vomiting, and overall fatigue (ie symptoms below the neck) are signals to take a break.

If you're feeling too rotten, in my book that's a signal to take a rest day regardless of your specific symptoms.

--------------
"Love many, trust few, and always paddle your own canoe"  author unknown
 Post Number: 10
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 4:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1 on above the neck.  If you have chest symptoms, skip it.

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 8:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I skipped the workout because I ached all over. I spent the day doing all the old fashioned cold stuff. Took extra vitamin c, zinc, zicam, drank tea, gingerale, water. Ate chicken soup. I even spent the day wrapped in a blanket and took a nap. I felt better today and after my doc app. with flu shot got a half workout and some time in the steamroom. I rode the bike and lifted but not like usual.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 8:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I skipped the workout because I ached all over. I spent the day doing all the old fashioned cold stuff. Took extra vitamin c, zinc, zicam, drank tea, gingerale, water. Ate chicken soup. I even spent the day wrapped in a blanket and took a nap. I felt better today and after my doc app. with flu shot got a half workout and some time in the steamroom. I rode the bike and lifted but not like usual.
 Post Number: 13
TexasDesertRat Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 10:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As long as I don't have stomach flu or other stomach issues, I usually go ahead with a workout... even if it's light like stretches and a power walk... If I have a head cold, I will usually go surfing... salt water up the shnoz will clear the sinuses every time...

--------------
Human Spirit of Adventure
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 14
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 8:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Jan. 08 2013, 10:25 am)
As long as I'm not vomiting, I usually will try to stick to my workout schedule.  I may have to decrease reps or allow myself some mid-workout cool down periods, but I prefer to stay on schedule.

It's funny you should mention that.  My shower at the gym was delayed today by a guy who left in an ambulance.  He collapsed while vomiting in the entrance to the locker room.

I thought maybe he was starting to get the flu, but others seemed to think it was a result of crash dieting and a sudden and dramatic increase in exercise without proper hydration.
13 replies since Jan. 07 2013, 11:16 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply workout when sick
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions