2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: PSA - Things you've learned/seen working out< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
LostSheep Search for posts by this member.
Most Awesomest Member

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 1:32 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We've all got those little tidbits of advice that we've come across while workout out, hiking, running, whatever.

Whether they're funny, gross, silly, common sense, whatever, let's share them.

Plus, it'll be our little way of letting others get a chuckle our of our learning experiences.

I'll start.

PSA: Stairs
When sprinting flights of stairs multiple times, never, ever, ever trust the burp. Nine times out of ten, it's not just a burp. (Note: Chocolate Gu is not near as good coming up as it is going down.)

But hey, I did have a good workout afterwards :)

--------------
Team Red, White & Blue’s vision is to transform the way wounded veterans are reintegrated into society when they return from combat and exit the Armed Services.

IT'S OUR TURN. Ask me how you can help.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 1:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While doing knuckle push-ups, wrist wraps are a VERY useful thing.  Having your wrist suddenly buckle and slam into the ground HURTS.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 3
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 3:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Snot is an effective anti-chaffing substance.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 4
hoosierdaddy Search for posts by this member.
Trophy spouse

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 4:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Always make sure the pin is inserted all the way into the weight stack and doesn't come out when you're doing a Face Pull. (example...this isn't me)  
No blood, but I was embarrassed.

--------------
God, I am going to regret this someday!
 Post Number: 5
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 4:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Our "working out when sick" thread does remind me of a friend that tried out for our SWAT team.  Based off of his experience, I will offer that you should not attempt pull-ups after having been out sick with a stomach bug for several days.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 6
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 4:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't apply the Vaseline at the aid station, wait until you run a ways into the woods.

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 7
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 8:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Talus. @ Jan. 08 2013, 1:39 pm)
Don't apply the Vaseline at the aid station, wait until you run a ways into the woods.

:laugh:

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 1:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hoosierdaddy @ Jan. 07 2013, 3:18 pm)
Always make sure the pin is inserted all the way into the weight stack and doesn't come out when you're doing a Face Pull. (example...this isn't me)  
No blood, but I was embarrassed.

I could see that ending very very badly!

--------------
Team Red, White & Blue’s vision is to transform the way wounded veterans are reintegrated into society when they return from combat and exit the Armed Services.

Post Number: 9
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 1:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Talus. @ Jan. 08 2013, 3:39 pm)

On that note, always reserve enough mental capacity to distinguish between the squirt bottle of vaseline and a GU.

If you mix those up, well it won't be pretty.

--------------

Post Number: 10
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 2:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(LostSheep @ Jan. 09 2013, 10:13 am)

(Talus. @ Jan. 08 2013, 3:39 pm)

On that note, always reserve enough mental capacity to distinguish between the squirt bottle of vaseline and a GU.

If you mix those up, well it won't be pretty.

Thanks for the laugh!

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 11
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 4:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you volunteer for a race, stand back-blister juice has a long range.  No, I didn't get hit but man that stuff can shoot!

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 8:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why are you awake and posting at 4 am?

--------------
 Post Number: 13
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 11:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Jan. 10 2013, 7:25 am)

4am is when you're supposed to wake up.

It's when runners go out and crush dreams :)

Or when hills fight back and attempt to break the will of runners. :)

--------------

Post Number: 14
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 12:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(LostSheep @ Jan. 10 2013, 8:00 am)

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Jan. 10 2013, 7:25 am)

4am is when you're supposed to wake up.

It's when runners go out and crush dreams :)

Or when hills fight back and attempt to break the will of runners. :)

No 4 a.m. for me!  I like to have a fighting chance :p

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 15
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 7:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When you stop, make sure the treadmill has stopped too.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 16
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 9:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

These are great.  You're making me feel better about not being able to work out!

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 17
LordTemplar Search for posts by this member.
LordTemplar

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 8:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Never lift over your limit.  One of the guys I power-lifted with tried to lift the same amount as one of the other guys, showing off, and his elbows snapped as soon as he got the weight up.  He also ripped his pecks.

I wear braces on my elbows now so this does not happen to me.  I have also reduced the weight I lift to 345 lbs.  I won't tell you what from  :p

--------------
"Break On Through To The Other Side"--Jim Morrison
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 10:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(LordTemplar @ Jan. 11 2013, 8:34 am)
I have also reduced the weight I lift to 345 lbs.

I assume this applies to ALL lifts, whether squats or bicep curls? :p

--------------
 Post Number: 19
LordTemplar Search for posts by this member.
LordTemplar

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 11:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Jan. 11 2013, 10:52 am)

(LordTemplar @ Jan. 11 2013, 8:34 am)
I have also reduced the weight I lift to 345 lbs.

I assume this applies to ALL lifts, whether squats or bicep curls? :p

LOL!!  Yes, one should reduce the weight they lift.  I suggest curling beer now. :laugh:

--------------
"Break On Through To The Other Side"--Jim Morrison
 Post Number: 20
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 2:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you arrive late to an exercise class and the room is packed wall to wall, don't just plop yourself down on top of someone else....especially if it's a yoga class meant to induce relaxation.  Feeling your hot breath on my neck and smelling your curry lunch is not relaxing.  At all.  Especially when I try really hard to arrive early and get a good spot!

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 21
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 8:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When you haven't worked out in 3 weeks, don't do too many russian twists and rollouts.  Your abs will hate you and you'll walk funny for a few days.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 1:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Guys - A lesson I learned this weekend: Don't try to work your hip flexors on a foam roller. Parts get in the way, in a most painful manner.

--------------
 Post Number: 23
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 4:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

@WWBF, OUCH. I don't want to know...

--------------

Post Number: 24
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 8:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Never invte your non-athletic friend  to try out your new (home-made) bench press in front of your very-competitive wife.

Especially if it's more weight than he can press.....and, if he can't, do NOT let your wife try it.  

(didn't speak to me or my wife for years afterward).

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 25
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 4:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Despite popular belief, eating 1 dozen doughnuts during a race is a whole lot harder than you think.

Holding that down while you run the remaining 2miles back to the start line is not easy either.

--------------

Post Number: 26
WBrim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 10:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you go to the gym and just socialize and or play with your phone/music player your not going to get any fitter.
 Post Number: 27
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 6:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do not text/tweet/twitter/gossip/chat in-between reps at a station. If you aren't focused 100% on doing the exercise or 100% on getting your breath, get the heck off the machine.

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 28
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 4:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

if you can tweet/text/email or fb, you definitely aren't working hard enough...

--------------

Post Number: 29
hikernks Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 1:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(LostSheep @ Jan. 28 2013, 4:17 pm)
Despite popular belief, eating 1 dozen doughnuts during a race is a whole lot harder than you think.

Holding that down while you run the remaining 2miles back to the start line is not easy either.

I'd like to offer my counter-argument

http://utahtourdedonut.org/

--------------
"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil."  Thomas Paine, Common Sense
 Post Number: 30
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 3:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikernks @ Feb. 15 2013, 12:56 pm)

(LostSheep @ Jan. 28 2013, 4:17 pm)

I'd like to offer my counter-argument

http://utahtourdedonut.org/

Yea, a good cyclist friend of mine rides in that yearly. I'm sorry, but that's RIDING not RUNNING.

I did go back and look, the winner at our donut run ate his dozen in just over 4mins. It took me almost 13.

And sadly, this isn't setup where every donut shaves time, instead it's run, eat, run.

BLAH. Its tough for me to look at donuts now...

--------------

29 replies since Jan. 07 2013, 1:32 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply PSA - Things you've learned/seen working out
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions