2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Obesity Experts?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 1:36 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Funny Video

I used to be on a fat free (and meat free) diet it is harder than than implied and I did not lose weight.  Still there seems to be a point here.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 3:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(dayhiker9 @ Jan. 27 2013, 1:36 pm)
Still there seems to be a point here.

The point that logic is dead?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies pick any three.  :p

Arguing against something based on the failure of its proponents to follow their own suggestions is shaky at best.

But it was funny... :D
 Post Number: 3
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 4:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did say their diet did not work for me, so I agree this is not ironclad, and I don't know if they cherry picked there experts, I expect not so much.

I remembered later that my brother in law once diagnosed with pre-diabetes went to a heavily meat diet and lost a fare amount of weight, though I am not sure it was any of the meat experts diets.  And he has serious problems with Gout.

Still following advice (of any sort) that is successful for those offering it, and vice versa, just seems like common sense, without any other data to go by.*  There is other info to go by but if anything (if I remember right) it is that most diets don't work for most people.  So whatever works for you if anything, I guess.
Weight loss being just one component.

*Of course this is why mutual funds have so many funds, just hoping to get one that is hot to draw in customers, so you do have to be critical when looking at what is "successful".

--------------
" before you make assertions about numbers, look at the numbers."   Krugman
 Post Number: 4
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 5:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think that most diets are successful for many people for a while. The issue is finding a lifestyle that works for you so you can maintain it, rather than it being a restrictive "diet."  I wouldn't do well going vegan, because I would feel deprived of dairy and meat products that I like.  Instead I learned to eat low-fat versions, and to eat in moderation.  And to work out like hell.  :). But I've never had to lose more than a few pounds, easily removed by a week of backpacking, so I probably shouldn't talk.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
strider Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 6:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ever read "Forks over knives" Or the "China Study"? A very convincing argument to go vegan. I've done it and feel great. I didn't really need to lose weight but my cholesterol was sky high. Now it's around 170-ish.

--------------
I haven't got any special religion this morning. My God is the God of Walkers. If you walk hard enough, you probably don't need any other god.
~ Bruce Chatwin
 Post Number: 6
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One of my  buddies says he's a weight-loss expert, having lost 1,000 pounds in his adult lifetime.

He says the reason he hasn't written a book is because he's gained 1,100 poinds in his adult lifetime.

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 7
Riley125 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 11:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cut down the junk & fast foods and go on raw veggies diet plan for the weight and obesity control.
Fats, junk foods, and fast foods are the main causes of the obesity, so avoid all these foods and take pure vegetarian and water diets to lose the excess of your fat and weight.
 Post Number: 8
Riley125 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 12:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cut down the junk & fast foods and go on raw veggies diet plan for the weight and obesity control.
Fats, junk foods, and fast foods are the main causes of the obesity, so avoid all these foods and take pure vegetarian and water diets to lose the excess of your fat and weight.

Fitness Maitland
 Post Number: 9
MikeRegas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 4:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have been one that eats as I chose and I finally decided enough was enough and I decided to change my eating habits. I did some research and with a little outside influence I decided I would give the paleo lifestyle a try. Man the results are great, I have sheded off weight, feel great and I get to eat a lot of the foods that I was eating before.

Once you remove the processed foods and start eating clean you will see and feel the difference. Check out the whole9 or whole30.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
 Post Number: 10
karstrip Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 12:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

i agree, cut out refined and processed food and go back to natural stuff like vegetables, grains, etc. i felt the difference after two weeks
9 replies since Jan. 27 2013, 1:36 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Obesity Experts?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions