2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: healthy alternatives to energy bars< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
MoonNerd Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 5:11 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lately my wife and I have been getting away from processed foods, "eating clean" and I have enjoyed the change.  The one thing I haven't found yet is a healthier energy bar alternatives to Cliff bars.  

If someone is looking for a non-processed energy bar, do you have any recommendations?  I have tried Rise bars, and know about some others.  But I don't know how effective they are for long hikes or long bike rides.  Also, I see a lot of home made recipes.  

In the past I have also used nuts, jerky, dehydrated fruits, bananas, etc, but sometimes I like energy bars the best.  Thanks for any input.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 11:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think quite a few of us bake our own.  Are you interested in that option?

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
MoonNerd Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 12:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

thanks Rebecca!  I would love to hear the best way to do that.  I know some people have talked about "do it yourself Lara bars" but I don't know if thats the way to go, or if there are other options.
 Post Number: 4
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 8:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You can find "raw" bars and the like at nature food stores.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 5
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 6:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll hunt up and post my recipe in the next day or so.  I know everyone here (well, everyone who cooks much) has their own favorite, so hope some others will share, too.  I also know we've had this discussion before--but given the quality of the search engine, good luck finding any.

I will say that when making bars for us to have while backpacking, I'm not too stressed about sugar and fat--we can use all the calories we can carry.  I just like something that tastes fresher and has no weird additives.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 6
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2013, 4:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You can take a basic whole wheat biscuit dough and add things to it, especially apples, cinnamon, nuts, and seeds. I've also experimented with adding yogurt and tofu. It should turn out fairly heavy.

A main goal of the additives would be protein. Commercial power bars have too many carbs and not enough protein. Try to get high-quality calories, meaning healthy fats and no sugar. With the apples I find it doesn't need any sugar at all.  

The basic recipe is about like this:

2 cups flour
6 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/4 to 1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup milk

Bake 20 minutes at 450.

You can pat the dough into a pan and cut it into squares before baking, or shape individual biscuits.
 Post Number: 7
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 7:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is for on the trail.  Hanging out for the rest of the year... well, don't know about that.

If energy is what you are looking for - over a relatively short period and carrying the weight of it, go for the most calorie per gram.  Snickers,  Goo and GORP could almost be a routine uphill food item.

Not sure 'healthy' comes to mind if you are looking for energy.  That is what sugars are for short term, and olive oil for more staying power.

Its not like you are going to catch scurvy or gain weight on a back packing trip.   I always thought diets were off while using up 400-600 Kcal an hour.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 8
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 2:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

These are my all-time favorite recipe, which I have adapted many ways. This is the most recent version:

Sarahs Most Amazing Soft & Chewy Granola Bars

Ingredients:

2 cups old-fashioned oats or quick cooking (1-minute oats (see below in notes)
1 cup oat flour (see below in notes)
cup Maple Syrup Powder/Maple Sugar
cup pecans
cup dark chocolate chips
cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
cup Date Crumbles
cup raisins, preferably organic
1 tsp ground cinnamon
tsp fine sea salt
cup Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, melted
cup pure maple syrup
1 Tbsp ground flaxseed meal + 3 Tbsp cool water
2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350, line a 913″ glass baking pan with parchment paper, down the middle and up the sides (for easier removal).

Grind the pecans finely.

Stir the oats through sea salt in a large bowl.

Whisk the wet ingredients together, pour over dry and mix well (food grade gloves and your hands make it a snap). Spread in prepared pan, pack down tightly.

Bake for 30 minutes, until golden on the edges. Let cool for 10 to 20 minutes, then cut into desired size of bars, let cool fully before removing and wrapping.

Store in refrigerator (or freezer for long-term storage), for best results, tightly wrapped or in an airtight container.

They are from my blog. My other blog, Gazing In, has a lot of raw bar recipes. We take them with us all the time.

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 9
Riley125 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 11:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think natural foods are the best to get the energy as compare to artificial energy boosting products.
Fresh fruits juices, protein foods, and protein shakes are the good energy booster, these energy foods provide the natural energy for the longer period of the time.
 Post Number: 10
Martin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2013, 7:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey guys,I don't really look at the nutritional values very often but I eat, bananas and whatever cereal bars are on offer during the week. At the minute it's nutrigrain and the other kellogs things.If you want high protein after the ride then I can recommend the wholefoods 9 bars.

--------------
Fitness Marketing
 Post Number: 11
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2013, 12:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fair warning: read protein shake ingredients before buying. Many contain some very unnatural ingredients ;-)

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 12
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2013, 7:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

WOW!  Sarbar, that bar sounds great.  But if had a baking pan full of those handy, it would be like a left over chocolate cake with white butter cream icing.  It is a slow death for the cake but sooo tempted to take a thin sliver of it (unfortunately) often. *

Every time I'd pass that stack of bars, I'd have to make sure it was as good as the last one. *

Guess what we're making this weekend .. Wooo Hooo party time.

*Devil get thee behind me - and give a bit of a push!

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 13
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 1:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sarbar's recipes are the best. My wife and I have done several of the bars.
 Post Number: 14
DonnaWalken Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 3:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Mar. 23 2013, 1:22 pm)
Sarbar's recipes are the best. My wife and I have done several of the bars.

Yup, the recipe looks yummy already so I might give this one a try. Thanks for posting Sarbar.
 Post Number: 15
Riley125 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 12:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think natural foods are the best to get the energy as compare to artificial energy boosting products.
Fresh fruits juices, protein foods, and protein shakes are the good energy booster, these energy foods provide the natural energy for the longer period of the time.
14 replies since Feb. 26 2013, 5:11 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply healthy alternatives to energy bars
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions