2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Protein< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Riley125 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 12:09 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Protein are large biological elements made up of one or more chains of amino acids.  
Necessary protein perform a range of functions within living organisms, including catalyzing metabolic reactions, copying DNA, addressing stimulating elements, and moving molecules from one location to another.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Martin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2013, 6:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey guys,Eat healthy and increase your protein sources, dairy,
whey protein and eggs are good for teens on low budget, but if
you can afford it.It steaks and learn cuts of poultary like chicken
and turkey breast,also eat plenty of fish oil, nuts, and green vegetables..

--------------
Fitness Marketing
 Post Number: 3
karstrip Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 4:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

what are the best sources of protein? Is animal protein better than plant protein? I asked that because I am thinking of going vegetarian but am worried about my protein intake. Thanks
 Post Number: 4
Addison Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 12:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well I think the natural things which are rich are protein they are best to eat for getting more protein.. as mentioned by martin.. I also heard that the cheese the thing which have more quantity of protein. I think we should consume cheese more.
 Post Number: 5
karstrip Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2013, 11:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

cheese? But isn't cheese high in fat as well? I heard greek yogurt and soy foods is a good source of non meat protein
 Post Number: 6
Kuzma Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 2:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My grand pa is very strict vegetarian and he don't any food to get proteins. Please suggest some fruits or vegetables which are rich in protein.
 Post Number: 7
bp2go Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 10:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Kuzma @ Apr. 18 2013, 11:30 am)
Please suggest some fruits or vegetables which are rich in protein.

Here is a page with top sources of protein from fruits and vegetables.

Meat is actually not very good for us (fats and such) and dairy is really not very good for us! Milk and cheese are not popular with doctors who do nutritional research*. As has been said many times, cow milk is for baby cows. In fact Almond or soy milk is so much better (and I used to love a cold glass of milk!) and since changing my own diet months ago,  now avoid dairy and get along just fine with almond milk, soy yogurt, and tofu (which turns out to be quite good in so many ways.)

So your grandpa as a vegetarian sounds like he must be doing fine, and good for you for asking.

* Here is a link to watch a video where several doctors explain why meat and dairy are bad for our health! It's worth a look.

--------------
 Post Number: 8
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 3:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Vegetarian protein combinations:

http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/images/complementary-protein-chart.gif

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 9
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2013, 12:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bp2go @ Apr. 19 2013, 10:30 am)
Meat is actually not very good for us (fats and such)...

I would of course disagree with that, but admit that as you cook meat more, the way most people eat it, it does become worse for your health. Studies apparently show carcinogens increasing at the medium doneness level, and many heat sensitive nutrients are significantly reduced above rare. Studdies and statistics often leave that out, even though it effects veggies in many cases as well. And fat is one of the most misunderstood of all. Especially for someone quite physically active, saturated fat is one of the bodies ideal sources of energy. And is important for horomone production, cellular function, immune system, brain function, growing children etc. The problem is most farm raised meats, fed with high carb and genitcally modified corns and things like that. Lean free range, grass fed, or wild hunted is far better. Dairy fats high in palmitic acid are probably one of the worst fatty acids.  

Speaking about being active, RDA of protein is based on the average person who probably is not as active as they should be. So instead of looking at RDA, one should figure out based on their size and amount of activity.

IMO, and the opinion of many health researchers, eggs are about the ideal whole protein sources. As with anything though, it depends on the diet of the bird. I steer clear of the mass produced farm eggs and look for the neighbor with free range birds that get to eat a natural diet of bugs and maybe some organic feed.

With the caveats about cooking above, meat can be an excellent source of complete protein. Fish would be next, with a bunch of caveats there as well.

Cultured dairy contains good complete proteins without many of the problems with milk. Look for organic ones made from raw milk with minimum additives especially sugar (fruit flavored yogurt) also sheep and goatmilk are much more compatible for humans than cows milk.

Vegetables with the exception of soybeans, individually contains only some of the amino acids. The list in the link from BP2GO is good, just realize the key with veggie proteins is you need a variety of veggies to get complete proteins. The problem with soybean is they are very high in carbs, and often over-processed. Whole green edamame is best, or tofu which is minimally processed, but avoid foods with highly refined soy supplements, concentrates, isolates, isoflavones, caseinates, hydrolozed, etc. Many people are also intolerant or allergic to soy and don't realize it.

As I am training for a marathon I was just reading a few books during my last flight and the last thing I have been studying is nutrition so this is all fresh on my mind! Else I'd probably forget most of this. With the advent of todays commercialized farms and modified and processed foods, its like a sea of unhealthy stuff thats nearly impossible to sift through to find the few healthy things.

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
 Post Number: 10
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 11:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rice (unrefined) and beans (together) provide an amazing spectrum of amino acids and proteins.  

Protein is pretty much protein if enough different types.  It all gets reworked to be used as the stuff we need anyway.  

If too sugar at once, it can't be converted to glucose and then converted to energy for our cells fast enough so the remainder gets stored as fat. Humans, early on (waaaay early), didn't have access to the fire hose of fructose, sucrose and other chained sugars we get now.  Apparently when the body got put together, we were not getting very much fruit (fructose) either.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
9 replies since Mar. 19 2013, 12:09 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Protein
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions