2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: The truth about exercise< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 5:14 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The truth about exercise, on OPB.

More about using exercise for health than conditioning for say backpacking, though I suppose it would help both.

3 minutes a week improves insulin response!

And stay out of your chair (I say as I type this)
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 9:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That is really quite impressive.  Time to get a few more intervals and step it up when I do it.  

He is a bit of a screaming wimp tho  :)

I have been standing up at my desk for sometime now.  The first week was a killer with my body (brain I guess we can blame now) screaming like some insolent spoiled brat to sit down.

One thing about standing (I have always been a 'sitter' for up to 12-15 hours a day), is that I now am more open to taking a walk or a slight jog...as well as the gym.  

I'll have to take the time (sitting) to watch the other things he presents.  He is quite good.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 3
tylert27 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2013, 5:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's pretty crazy because you wouldn't think that you would actually have more energy by standing all day, but I have noticed that when I sit around a lot, I actually have less energy. I've noticed that a lot of people at ROTC where I go to school, seem to always put heavy backpacks on and then go for long walks. I'm sure that if the military is having their soldiers do it, then it is great for getting people in shape.
 Post Number: 4
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2013, 10:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SPeacock @ Apr. 17 2013, 6:14 pm)
That is really quite impressive.  Time to get a few more intervals and step it up when I do it.  

He is a bit of a screaming wimp tho  :)

I have been standing up at my desk for sometime now.  The first week was a killer with my body (brain I guess we can blame now) screaming like some insolent spoiled brat to sit down.

One thing about standing (I have always been a 'sitter' for up to 12-15 hours a day), is that I now am more open to taking a walk or a slight jog...as well as the gym.  

I'll have to take the time (sitting) to watch the other things he presents.  He is quite good.

I have to ask about this.  When I have worked jobs that required lots of standing (cashier, cook), my legs and back screamed the whole time.  My feet weren't too keen either.  It was much worse than spending an equivalent time walking.  So how does it work out that you don't seem to have those problems?  I'm not too bad on my short shifts at the library if I spend most of the time on my feet, but moving around the library.  If I just stand behind the counter, I'm back to the lower back pain, etc.  Perching seems to be the better option.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
Msmith Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2013, 6:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Agreed with Tylert27,when ever sitting work is not there,I feel really energetic this is a fact and happening with me again and again.

--------------
fast delivery
 Post Number: 6
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 12:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rebecca

It has been almost two months now.

It has taken awhile to be able to stand for a few hours at a time - thru the day.  I do walk around more, and I will take other short breaks of different activities. I stand in well support backpacking boots tho.

But, yeah, my feet still feel like I've been on them.  I think I have developed a bit of plantar fasciitis .. doing more stretches of feet and lower legs now.

I also moved things down to lower drawer that used to be right at hand (coffee cup :) ).  Makes me change position and move a bit periodically.  When waiting for a telephone on hold to come back, I usually walk in place (heel up heel up) or take a few knee dips for the quads.

I am considerably more active than just sitting.  My arms and shoulders complained the first week or so.

I haven't had an instance of drooping off to sleep in umm two months either  :)

Haven't had any issues with my back - after a few weeks.  The platform is high enough that I don't bend over at all.  I try to keep my butt tucked in...that is almost impossible to do unless it gets to be habitual.

I have also, for last 8 years been in a competitive singing group that rehearses once a week from 7-11p with a 15 min potty break.  It is all standing on risers, moving and performing.  I remember the first few weeks of doing that.  No way could I, early on, go to the gym the day of rehearsals.  I cut back on the amount of time I'm standing on the day I show up there.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 7
grampabarber Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 12:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In my experience, standing for long periods is much more painful than walking for the same amount of time.

My "solution" to the negative effects of sitting is to get up and walk around or do something else every 15-20 minutes. Toughest part is to remember to do it! Anyone got a 20 minute egg timer?
 Post Number: 8
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 25 2013, 4:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(grampabarber @ May 18 2013, 12:13 pm)
My "solution" to the negative effects of sitting is to get up and walk around or do something else every 15-20 minutes. Toughest part is to remember to do it! Anyone got a 20 minute egg timer?

Yup. I do sedentary work. I use a timer and divide my day up into 60/15 intervals: 60 minutes of sitting down to work, then a 15-minute activity that requires getting up. That slot might be for household tasks (filling the woodbox), exercise (bike two miles), etc. I also stretch every time I get up. I get a lot more done this way. This system is especially helpful for tasks you don't want to do, because you only have to do them for 15 minutes at a time.

I learned this system from this great book by Jim Loehr and Tony Schwartz: http://www.amazon.com/Power-F....3226755 Notice the subtitle: "Managing Energy, Not Time, Is the Key to High Performance." I'm literally four times more productive than I used to be with this system. Saves your eyes too if you have a computer job.
 Post Number: 9
John Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 25 2013, 9:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(grampabarber @ May 18 2013, 11:13 am)
In my experience, standing for long periods is much more painful than walking for the same amount of time.

Get yourself a watch (chronograph) with a countdown timer.  Get em cheap at Wally World.
8 replies since Apr. 17 2013, 5:14 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply The truth about exercise
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions