2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Calories Burned with a pack on< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
HELITACK Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 10:10 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hiya Guys & Gals,

First post, so please forgive me if this question has been answered before.

I am trying to find out calorie expenditure while wearing a weighted pack. I have found several online calculators that allow you to enter your weight, and time on activity, but no place to enter the load.

Thanks in advance,

Geoff, aka. Heli
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 11:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Enter your weight as load + body weight.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 9:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not sure how exact the calculators are, but ol-zeke is right.  The calculations are based on how much of you and it you are pushing down the trail.  Most of the lists of Kcal/hour are to compare different types of activity...not necessarily how much YOU would expend on any one activity.

600-800KCal/ hour  Uphill, 20% body weight pack.  High altitude (over 10,000) will take about 10% more calories.  High heat even more energy needed for cooling.  You will have to figure in how many minutes/hour you need just for stopping to pant and get heart rate down.  You also need to know incline (feet/hour ascent), what your pace is in mph and how much of it isn't uphill.

Best to figure your miles per day and type of trail (or not) for your food needs. Keep track of what you eat, how many pounds you loose, how hungry you are. How tired you are during the day (not enuf fuel in ya) and how exhausted you are at night and rolling out of bed in morning.  Make this part of YOUR history...along with fuel used, foods you liked, etc.  Then base your next trip on that info.

You could out hike your calorie needs and what you can carry or consume daily -- if you are very fit.

What you need to get out of the calculation is how much food you will need (have to eat more than 3 big planned meals a day), how much body fat you can allow to use up..

More than likely freeze dried multi-person dinners won't do you very long.  Not enuf KCal in each 'serving'.

Pound of body fat - about 3500 Kcal

FATS
16 fl oz of olive oil   3900Kcal (16 (dry) oz more than 4000Kcal)
16 oz of butter (2 cups) = 3,200 calories
16 oz Peanut Butter (creamy) 2708

SWEETS
16 oz sugar (2 1/4 cups) = 1,733 calories
16 oz Corn Syrup 1920Kcal
16 oz Aunt Jamima's Maple (flavored) Syrup 1890
16oz Trader Joe Unsweatened Pineapple (freeze dried) 1760
16 oz Shady Maple Farms Organic Maple Syrup  1680
16 oz Honey 1320
16 oz of chocolate chips  2200Kcal

DRY WEIGHT

16 oz macaroni pasta  1680
16 oz spaghetti 1680
16 oz Krusteaz Pancake mix 1680
16 oz rice  1600Kcal
16 oz Kellogs Froot Loops 1656
16 oz (Blue) Cornmeal 1647
16 oz Bulgar (Wheat) 1520
16 oz General Mills Total  1500
16 oz Split Peas (dry) 1170
16 oz  Lintils (dry) 1040

Prepared:  Yum salt and fat added..

16 oz Trader Joe Madras Lintil (heat and eat) 416Kcal (2-160kcal servings in 10oz package)
16 oz Mountain House Beef Teriaki 1224 ( a package for two is .55 pound 680Kcal)
16 oz Mountain House Beef/Noodle Stoganoff 1582  (package for four is .79 pound  1250 Kcal )

If you 'crash' during the day, a couple of Snicker's bars will carry you about an hour uphill.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 9:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks guys... this is starting to point me in the right dirrection!
 Post Number: 5
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 9:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My bro-in- law is a helitack guy. Welcome to the forums.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 9:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But...

If an over nighter (or so), take what you would like to eat.  More than likely you will be bringing back food you didn't eat.  Energy deficit catches up to you over several days.  Which is why you want to keep a log of what you need to eat (and like out there) for what you do.

If you come back from a weekend trip hungry, then you are doing it just right.

--------------
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 9:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SPeacock @ Jul. 07 2013, 6:27 pm)

But...

If an over nighter (or so), take what you would like to eat.  More than likely you will be bringing back food you didn't eat -- no body is able to eat THAT much GORP.  Energy deficit catches up to you over several days, which is why you want to keep a log of what you need to eat (and like to eat out there) for what you do.

If you come back from a weekend trip hungry, then you are doing it just right.

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 9:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My bro-in- law is a helitack guy. Welcome to the forums.

I normally go by the handle of "Heli" short for HELITACK, but it was already taken.

Yeah I haven't been since the mid '90s, became a full time firefighter/medic instead, but I sure do miss flying up in the birds :-)
 Post Number: 9
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 8:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SPeacock @ Jul. 07 2013, 9:05 pm)
High altitude (over 10,000) will take about 10% more calories.  

Just curious how you know this.  I'm not trying to disagree with you at all, I've just been searching this topic of burning more calories at higher elevation, and most everything I read or study I find doesn't show it makes a difference.  But personally I feel I burn more above 10k

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 10
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 8:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

My body tends to adjust to the calorie demands.  I already have a low body fat%.  I also backpack/hike very frequently.  If I go out for a week, hike all day (12+ hours) with elevation gain every day, I still don't really loose weight.  And this is with a heavy pack and roughly 2500k diet (if that).  BUT, I think Ive just adjusted.  In past times when I was somewhat civilized, I would definitely drop weight (both water and fat) when I got back into frequent backpacking.

I assume your asking this question to loose weight.  Why else would you care (unless your a body builder, and in that case you don't want to mess with backpacking).  The calculators are very, very loose estimates.  Everyone's body is different, and will burn calories at a different pace.  There is no set number or percentage of calories you will specifically burn.  Also, calories burned has so many more factors to apply, such as insulin levels, hormone levels, what food is in your system.

What I can tell you, is that after a few days of steady backpacking, your body will start to burn fat more frequently, regardless of what is in your system.  

You can increase your calories burned by increasing your elevation gained (hiking up hill), by increasing your load (how heavy your pack is), and by increasing your pace.

One more thing, want to burn fat instead of stored glycogen?  Start each day on an empty stomach.  It works

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
9 replies since Jul. 07 2013, 10:10 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Calories Burned with a pack on
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions