2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Juciers, Anyone?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2013, 11:01 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just curious if anyone juices and if they have found any benefits from it.  Recently, my blood pressure has been running somewhat high (lower number in mid 90's) and some blood work is out of whack.  Going in tomorrow morning for a bone marrow biopsy.  I'm  42 and wife is 21 weeks pregnant.  Just figure I'm not it bad shape but some of these health issues have made me start reevaluating exactly how healthy I am.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2013, 11:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From everything I've read, you are much better off just eating the fruits and veggies.  Juicing typically removes the fiber, and especially with fruit, will probably lead to drinking many calories.

Buy a wok instead.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2013, 7:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

get a vita mix so you can eat the whole fruit and veggie.  But I only use it for my in-between meals snacks.  Fruit smoothie in the morning, veggie smoothie or soup in the afternoon. I have spinach and mushrooms with my morning omelet, spring mix, broccoli, and tomato in my evening salad, and green beans and sweet potato with my dinner meat.
 Post Number: 4
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2013, 10:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Aug. 20 2013, 11:58 pm)
From everything I've read, you are much better off just eating the fruits and veggies.  Juicing typically removes the fiber, and especially with fruit, will probably lead to drinking many calories.

Buy a wok instead.

+1

Eat your veggies.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 5
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2013, 10:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife doesn't like a lot of veggies, so she uses her NutriBullet to make a smoothie every morning. The fruit disguises the taste of the veggies. I agree with Nogods... NutriBullets, VitaMix, etc allow you to eat the whole fruit/veggie (as opposed to juicers).

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 6
TheStu Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 29 2013, 1:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Juice the veggies, eat the veggies, whatever, both are good. I'd suggest taking it easy on the fruits (fruits contain fructose, which is the bad kind of sugar, consider sticking to fruits with less sugar, like berries, instead of high sugar fruits, like melons).

Also, adding these things to your diet isn't going to be a fix for high blood pressure! For that I'd suggest cutting out the processed foods and getting some more exercise. Just my two cents :)

--------------
Backpacking Talk - One backpacker encounters another backpacker in the woods. He says, "So there's this site called Backpacking Talk." The other backpacker replies, "...
 Post Number: 7
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 29 2013, 8:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Natural fructose is not a "bad" sugar (assuming natural levels... juicing could skew that), and melons are not "high sugar" fruits. They're mostly water.

Other than that, your post was spot-on.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 8
TheStu Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 29 2013, 1:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Aug. 29 2013, 8:52 am)
Natural fructose is not a "bad" sugar (assuming natural levels... juicing could skew that), and melons are not "high sugar" fruits. They're mostly water.

Other than that, your post was spot-on.

You're right about the melons, my mistake, don't know where I picked that up.

Natural levels of fructose, like you said, are certainly okay, but the amount of sugar the average westerner consumes in a day is way above natural levels. Nat Geo just recently had a cover story on this subject that's enlightening.

As the Nat Geo article mentions fructose is processed mostly by the liver (glucose is processed mostly in the gut, if I remember correctly), and when you get a big dump of it, like in a soft drink or a juiced drink (assuming you've used a fair amount of fruit high in fructose) your liver turns that fructose into triglycerides, which is not good for the heart, among other things.

--------------
Backpacking Talk - One backpacker encounters another backpacker in the woods. He says, "So there's this site called Backpacking Talk." The other backpacker replies, "...
 Post Number: 9
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 29 2013, 2:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm still amazed that people find living leading to dying a surprise.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 10
Makio Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 02 2013, 10:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you do it right then it can be good for you. If you're drinking all of the ice cream based ones then you're not doing yourself too many flavors. I've heard a kale smoothie each morning is excellent for you. I'd just look up a bunch of recipes if you're interested.
9 replies since Aug. 20 2013, 11:01 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Juciers
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions